Retaining the middle seat with two Stratos seats

kerry

Expedition Leader
In Gait's thread there's a picture and comment on the two Stratos suspension seats with what appears to be the middle part of the original double seat still in place. Can anyone tell me how that is accomplished? I'd like to do that in my truck eventually.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
That's an ATW option.
The original "dickie" seat is utilized for this mod. It is cut and reupholstered.
If you contact John I am sure he will give you all of the details...

gait

Explorer
it was done by ATW (contact John). All done in a day. I tried a couple of Stratos agents in Brisbane (closer to home) but they were a bit iffy about the passenger side and didn't seem to understand wanting to keep the middle seat.

I included arm rests (right hand for left hand seat, left hand for driver's seat). Since removed them. My left elbow caught the driver's arm rest while changing gear (b***dy painful). The passenger arm rest meant the middle seat was too cramped.

Apart from that very successful. Best thing since sliced bread.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The passenger arm rest meant the middle seat was too cramped.

Julian's right there....it does get a bit cramped with the armrest option on the pass seat. Didn't have a pic of a dickie seat in a Fuso but here is one in a NPS 300........with the arm rest. This seat would be for very occasional or emergency use only and would be in the folded down position most of the time.

5814074880_1df944ca43_z.jpg

FSH00

Didn't have a pic of a dickie seat in a Fuso but here is one in a NPS 300

Is the modified dickie seat any better in the fuso?
Would it be suitable for a young teenager for a bit more than just occasional use?

Thanks,
Pete.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Pete

How are you?

Well anyway.....they aren't ever going to be a comfortable seat. The foam is very thin in that section of the passenger seat squab and there is no headrest support but then there never was in the original format either. Really I guess the comfort level will be much the same as original Fuso middle passenger seats. .....but maybe loose the passenger armrest if that was the case.

John

FSH00

Hi Pete

How are you?

Well anyway.....they aren't ever going to be a comfortable seat. The foam is very thin in that section of the passenger seat squab and there is no headrest support but then there never was in the original format either. Really I guess the comfort level will be much the same as original Fuso middle passenger seats. .....but maybe loose the passenger armrest if that was the case.

John

Hi John,
Yeah all good here,busy with work,kids,house ect,ect, no use complaining only the dog will listen :)

How about yourself? keeping you flat out at work i suppose?

If someone put some thought into it do you think it may ever be able to be made comfortable?

I don't realy have access to an fg to get a good timely look around them.

I send mark an email about prices for some mods on a 649 i'm looking at should here back soon, if not i'll give you's a call next week.

Pete.

gait

Explorer
looks like there's more space in the Isuzu. The back of the dickie seat wouldn't fold down with the arm rest in place in the Fuso.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I was thinking there'd be more space in my Fuso than in the NPS since there is no emergency brake handle mounted next to the driver.

Do you just cut the original double seat and then rebuild the center half? How big a job is that? Anyone know if any cabover trucks have a separate small middle seat that would just bolt in place rather than rebuilding a double seat?

blackduck

Explorer
I was thinking there'd be more space in my Fuso than in the NPS since there is no emergency brake handle mounted next to the driver.

Do you just cut the original double seat and then rebuild the center half? How big a job is that? Anyone know if any cabover trucks have a separate small middle seat that would just bolt in place rather than rebuilding a double seat?

most larger Japanese trucks have a pretty fair passenger bucket seat that offers better rider comfort than the original fuso milk crate.
alot of them also have a fold down centre seat that would suit a smaller person for reasonably short trips that turns into a small console when folded
these sorts of things you can pick up cheap at a truck wreckers, you just have tu furnish your own legal certified mounts
I put the passenger seat from a 14T Isuzu in my FG with a plush sheepskin seat cover, its not to bad and heaps cheaper than buying aftermarket
in the centre i manufactured a console but there would be enough room for a standard centre seat

cab sml.jpg

blackduck

Explorer
Is that carpet in your 649 stu?

absolutley
and happy new year Ben

when I was doing the seats I stripped the floor lining out and used it as a template on some of that outdoor carpet you get from bunnings
the idea was to get somthing pliable that would follow contours
It kinda worked
due to my seat and consol;e set up I dont have the inspection port in the floor anymore which enabled me to lay some underlay under the carpet to tyry and reduce engine noise and heat
that kinda worked too except for the whine of the turbo under my left cheek :drool:
also got some underlay to put

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94