FJC Long Travel Build: 3Link Rear w/ Coilovers, Camburg, and more

FJLED

Adventurer
Some nice looking DMZ product showed up today - Motor mount gussets. Few FJs have had issues with them cracking, preventative measure while we are in there.

DSC_0687.JPG

Tim's a great resource if you've got any questions about the various IFS options out there (wish I had picked his brain from the get go, rather than experiencing first hand). Great customer service...probably spent an hour or so with him talking travel and bump steer, pretty impressive he took to the time to discuss since he was trying to get a customers rig wrapped a post thanksgiving run.

Hopefully have them welded on next week.​

FJLED

Adventurer

Finally some proper tires for this build. Ended up pulling the pitbull tires off yesterday and mounting the MTR's. Only reason I got the rockers to begin with was they were one of the few tires in stock several months back...mtrs were few and far between and we got 4wheelparts last 5 this time around in 35". Should allow for the full 14" travel due to smaller side biters - pitbulls lugs ont he side were wider and wrecking shop on the wheel well at lock...would have had to bump them an 1" lower than these pitbulls.

Full bump

IMG_0003.JPG

Perfect fit

IMG_0004.JPG

Unfortunately, in trying to be efficient and get other things prepped the steering shaft was removed so the motor mount gussets could be welded on. Which means I won't be able to confirm the clear at bump + lock until the gussets are on and the steering shaft is reinstalled.​

FJLED

Adventurer
Wrapping up the driverside

P1010926.JPG

P1010928.JPG

Passenger side reservoir mount

P1010929.JPG

P1010930.JPG

Test fit of the passenger side sparco pro2000 seat.

P1010931.JPG

P1010933.JPG

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
This is just an AMAZING build... Not my style of truck and I'm admitedly NOT a huge fan of the FJC, but I think that your truck is AMAZING and It'd be an FJC I'd happily drive (although here in Oregon I'd have precious few places to actually USE a truck like that to it's potential - which looks to be REALLY high aye). This is officaily my favorite FJC out there. What amazing work you've done/are doing. Thanks of the great write-up and pics. This is the kind of thread that makes "The Portal" a great resource of not only planning your own build, but for the dreamer in all of us. Truly a great thread and build, thank for taking the time to share mate.

Cheers

Dave

FJLED

Adventurer
No problem and you are welcome as your post makes it more than worth my time. That was my whole purpose of posting it up on here as during the process of the build I found a lot of inconsitencies on the various suspension kits "advertised" suspension travel measurements (Metal Tech's rear, Total Chaos's 2" front, and Camburg 3.5" front all came in under advertised travel numbers). Aim was to provide some factual information around the actual measurements of each setup. When spending thousands of dollars on the various kits its nice to know what you are really in for, rather than being dissapointed when what you bought comes up short of "advertised" travel numbers. Knowing that stuff from the get go would have save me quite a few $$. Starting over and knowing what I do now there would be quite a few changes...probably would have ran a 9" rear, lengthened the wheelbase, and instead done a 4 link suspension setup with bypasses to better match the uptravel that I'm pulling on the front. Having more uptravel in the rear is highly desired from a safety standpoint for the gofast stuff. The 3 link rear with the FJ frame layout just isn't optimal as it really limits your uptravel - only getting 5" up in the rear and 10" down. Haven't established ride height on the front but we are probably looking @ 8-9" up and 6-7" down.

While it is not specifically "expedition" oriented a lot of the components here and there might be of interest to members on here. Once it is said and done the FJC will be suitable for most stuff, for long expeditions or trips across the country the storage system, fridge, loadspotter slide, water system, etc. can all be outfitted on the vehicle while for go fast stuff or more technical wheeling we can run without all that to lighten the weight of the vehicle.

Had to rearrange a lot of stuff on the driverside, but it all fits

Engine%252520bay.JPG

And 4 rescue is right...it is a bit wide for a lot of trails in the NW & East. Luckily the fenders can all be removed fairly quickly if you really need to avoid body damage.

Wide%252520body.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I appreciate the thought and craftsmanship that's gone into your build. Something different than the usual modifications expands the body of knowledge and pushes the envelop for new applications. Ask me how I know...

Overlanding is just another event to plan for that will fit into the spectrum of capabilities your truck will have. Some attributes will be easier to accommodate than others, but you clearly have the ingenuity to make it work.

Hope to see you this May in Flagstaff.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Hey, you certainly COULD overland in it... you just might have a shorter trip as you'd be flying through the terrain :D

Anyway, Part of what I really enjoy aboutnthis thread is the "real world" summation of these lift-kits. As you said, there were some "inconsistancies" and frankly it's pretty big of you to go through them and share to save someone else the headache later on down the road.

I'm looking forward to more pics and info on how this all comes together and how the final product rides.

Cheers

Dave

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The thing I like the most is that you were realistic about the limitations of your vehicle, and the accessories available, and you came up with your own solutions for what your wants and needs were. Well done.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

FJLED

Adventurer
Hey, you certainly COULD overland in it... you just might have a shorter trip as you'd be flying through the terrain :D

Anyway, Part of what I really enjoy aboutnthis thread is the "real world" summation of these lift-kits. As you said, there were some "inconsistancies" and frankly it's pretty big of you to go through them and share to save someone else the headache later on down the road.

I'm looking forward to more pics and info on how this all comes together and how the final product rides.

Cheers

Dave

Hopefully it will manage to save folks a few $$ down the line and give them some ideas for their future builds. Should be at Overland Expo this year for anyone who wants to check it out up close. It will be driveable before new years, but still a lot of finishing touches will need to be done (center console, fuel lines in the back, rear fenders, wiring, etc)

The thing I like the most is that you were realistic about the limitations of your vehicle, and the accessories available, and you came up with your own solutions for what your wants and needs were. Well done.

Thanks. Hopefully the build illustrates those limitations clearly.

One of the best FJs ive seen, very nice

Gracias

FJLED

Adventurer
Motor mounts are now gusseted

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Long tube headers and my attempt to show the need for an O2 sensor wiring extension (wiring that is closest to you in the picture...upper one is a WBO2)

IMG_0019.JPG

Can see the need for the extension in this photo below. One end of the connector is attached to the top of the tranny/back of engine and you can see the yota O2 sensor at the bottom elft of the picture.

IMG_0021.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94