Feral Green - California to Tierra del Fuego

feralgreen

A group of 4 friends are planning a 12 month expedition from California to Chile and everywhere in between - departing in August of 2007. We're currently contemplating the rig but are thinking of going with a full size 4 door diesel pickup truck with a long bed that is 4x4 and a pop-up truck camper on the back. Our adventure will focus on surf, philanthropy, and culture. We're looking at possibly converting the truck to run on vegetable oil as an alternative to diesel when available so as to help minimize the impact of fuel consumption.

If anyone has any input as to the rig (type of truck, camper, modifications, gps, maps, etc.) I appreciate all advice.

We're working on a website that will track our trip, where we can post updates, photos, and video footage. Does anyone have any websites that they really like that have been put together for this purpose? We need something to model our site after.

-Team FERAL GREEN

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
biodiesel.infopop.cc
go there for great info on veggie setup and folks who have tons of knowledge and experience with running veggie in everything.
My son has an 80's mercedes sedan that we run on biodiesel in winter and veggie in summer (I don't feel like doing a second tank & heater conversion).
As to truck the general feeling is that the 94-98 Dodge Cummins 12v engine is the best for long term life and quality. That would allow you to get a quad cab with plenty of space in a 4x4 in auto or manual.
You could very easily set up a 2 tank system with large capacity for when you do get veggie oil.
The real trouble will be on the road filtering...gravity is slow and the best mobile solution anyone has worked on is a centrifuge setup (I have it at my house but haven't perfected it yet) that is great but you will spend $500 to set it up and then you have to think about how to power it (generator or off your batteries).
Lots of info out there and good luck with your trip....I know others have done veggie fueled trips to/thru South America in cars so you should be able to do it.
enjoy
1leglance

Super Doody

Explorer
feralgreen said:
A group of 4 friends are planning a 12 month expedition from California to Chile and everywhere in between - departing in August of 2007. We're currently contemplating the rig but are thinking of going with a full size 4 door diesel pickup truck with a long bed that is 4x4 and a pop-up truck camper on the back. Our adventure will focus on surf, philanthropy, and culture. We're looking at possibly converting the truck to run on vegetable oil as an alternative to diesel when available so as to help minimize the impact of fuel consumption.

If anyone has any input as to the rig (type of truck, camper, modifications, gps, maps, etc.) I appreciate all advice.

We're working on a website that will track our trip, where we can post updates, photos, and video footage. Does anyone have any websites that they really like that have been put together for this purpose? We need something to model our site after.

-Team FERAL GREEN

Where are you guys from?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
You guys are leaving in August of THIS year and you don't have a rig together yet? You had better hurry as prepping your rig is going to take a lot of time.

Yeah, where in Cali are you located? I am in Ripon, just south of Sacramento.

I have a link somewhere on my computer to a Cali company that will convert your rig to take biodiesel as you often have to replace the lines, add heaters, etc. I will look for it and post it up later.

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
I wouldn't contemplate it in a lone truck.....
Maybe you should get the truck(s) ready first.
Perhaps then try some short expeditions.
And maybe you should do it August '08.
- - and as for vegetable oil fuel; that's about the last thing to consider...
If you're asking now for advise on every aspect, you're not ready.....:oops:
I spent six months planning my all off-road, 670 mile expedition across Nevada and already had several years of off-roading under my belt.

UNLESS - You're planning an all-highway route and being ferried around the Darien section of Panama and on some other type conveyance at the southern end of Chile and Argentina...As far as I've last heard Tierra del Fuego is still on an island across the Strait of Magellan (which is many straits and islands) and the Darien gap is still roadless.

Last edited:

1leglance

Yes the is still no road in panama to complete the hiway and as far as panama is concerned there never will be since that would open to door to columbia.
As to everyone elses advice to slow the expecations I figured once the research started slowing down would be a natural result...nice to see that others are more direct in the advice :)
Some google searches will give info on others who have made the journey in a variety of vechiles...a couple of which did in on mostly veggie oil.
enjoy
1leglance

feralgreen

Just to clarify - we are actually going to be doing most of the trip on highway but frequently offroading into more remote locations (jungle/beaches/etc). We'll be shipping the truck around Colombia from Panama and then driving through South America and heading as far South as possible.

The issue with the timing of the trip is duly noted and we understand the scramble that we're facing being only 60 or so days out from departure. We'll get it done.

To answer another question posted earlier we're from Southern CA.

What type of navigation system is recommended for navigating Cental & South America? We'll be with a laptop the entire trip and are looking for something as comprehensive as possible without costing thousands of dollars and taking up too much space.

Keep any further advice with regard to the camper, gps/navigation, and truck forthcoming.

We have the mechanic who is going to convert the truck for us but would like to contact anyone that's already made the journey south set up on veg. So far we've only been in touch with local users.

pwc

Explorer
"What type of navigation system is recommended for navigating Cental & South America? "
general maps and asking locals.

When not grab a Mercedes 300 if you're going to be on roads most of the time?

1leglance

http://www.vwvagabonds.com/
A very nice couple who sold it all and traveled around Central/South America, Africa in a VW bus, non-veggie but they wrote a great book, have a website and live in Cali..email them.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/936602174
This guy drove from oakland to argentina on mostly veggie.
This is from the forum I linked to earlier...you need to spead alot of time in this forum learing if you are serious about the dual fuel concept.
I love the veggie concept but it is a hobby unto itself with many issues...then concept of pulling up to Mcdonalds and topping off the tank is very far from the reality. Filtering will be your major issue and one you need to spead serious time looking at. Also realize that while much of your trip will be in warm areas where tank heaters and inline heaters aren't as important you will cross some serious mountains that will tax your system.
Also realize you will have too look for oil along the way....there isn't as much fast-food asian resturants (best oil) in central & SA and oil gets used hard....not to mention you are looking for only veggie oil not animal....again lots of research needed.

I would highly recommmed a 94-98 Dodge 12v CUmmins 3/4 ton 4x4 with manual trans, putting a camper shell on it and setting up a mobile centrifudge filter system where you keep the original diesel tank full as backup, then add another under bed tank for veggie, then in the bed you have a dirty oil collection tank (use a vacum draw setup with hose, easy to research) then comes the current debate...heat & settle in this tank overnight & then centrifuge or just loop the centrifuge while driving until oil seems clean (use clear hoses) and then turn a valve sending clean oil to clean tank underbed or in bed.
You will also want a backup system like filter bags and a heating element in case of primary system failure.
Finding oil will be the big issue....you want the ability to get alot if you can find it...you will need good spanish skills and might offer to pay a bit...you will be explaining your rig many many times.
I know there are some groups helping to set up WVO & SVO (waste & straight veggie oil) projects in latin america...google them and email for advice on getting oil.
Of course we haven't touched on if you will be camping/sleeping in the rig or hotels more. Mods to the rig to run veggie (no rubber hoses, keep it to simple 3 way brass valves vs elect valves....heating setups...recovery gear, your level of experience in offroad or other country travel, can anyone speak spanish......lots of questions :)
Tell us more so we can tell you more....also read read read....there is usually someone who has tried whatever you are thinking of before out there...
enjoy
1leglance

cruiser guy

Explorer
If you're stuck on a full size then go with the Cummins. Just make sure that you're adequately supplied with parts for the truck. The Cummins engine is not going to be a problem but the Dodge truck will not be popular once you're south of Mexico!! For instance Chrysler was/is not officially imported into Guatemala as far as I know and that may be the case in other countries as well.
Once you leave the USA/Mexico the domestic vehicles are not real popular.

Quixote

Observer
feralgreen said:

-Team FERAL GREEN

Hello!

We are starting from the SF Bay Area October 15th, 2007. I will post up the details of our expedition in a short while - we plan on driving North to Inuvik and then down to Tierra del Fuego.

For our website we're using WordPress 2.2 with integration with Google Maps. The site is still not done, but you can check it out at:

http://www.alongdrive.com

The Machu Picchu posts are part of our experiments of how the blog would have turned out, had we been blogging along the way. I had the GPS points from the trip and decided to have fun with them. We gathered them all together in:

http://www.alongdrive.com/category/machu-picchu-trek/

Check out the GoogleMaps integration with the Machu Picchu Trek. Click on the Maps tab and then on the Peru Flag to see the trek with the GPS points I collected.

PM me and let us see if we can caravan or meet up!

Super Doody

Explorer
Quixote said:
Hello!

We are starting from the SF Bay Area October 15th, 2007. I will post up the details of our expedition in a short while - we plan on driving North to Inuvik and then down to Tierra del Fuego.

For our website we're using WordPress 2.2 with integration with Google Maps. The site is still not done, but you can check it out at:

http://www.alongdrive.com

The Machu Picchu posts are part of our experiments of how the blog would have turned out, had we been blogging along the way. I had the GPS points from the trip and decided to have fun with them. We gathered them all together in:

http://www.alongdrive.com/category/machu-picchu-trek/

Check out the GoogleMaps integration with the Machu Picchu Trek. Click on the Maps tab and then on the Peru Flag to see the trek with the GPS points I collected.

PM me and let us see if we can caravan or meet up!

Where do you guys surf? OB? LM? San Mateo? SC?

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
FortyMileDesert said:
I wouldn't contemplate it in a lone truck.....
Maybe you should get the truck(s) ready first.
Perhaps then try some short expeditions.
And maybe you should do it August '08.
- - and as for vegetable oil fuel; that's about the last thing to consider...
If you're asking now for advise on every aspect, you're not ready.....:oops:
I spent six months planning my all off-road, 670 mile expedition across Nevada and already had several years of off-roading under my belt.

UNLESS - You're planning an all-highway route and being ferried around the Darien section of Panama and on some other type conveyance at the southern end of Chile and Argentina...As far as I've last heard Tierra del Fuego is still on an island across the Strait of Magellan (which is many straits and islands) and the Darien gap is still roadless.

I'd agree, though maybe not on the single truck aspect. It's certainly been done by many people in one vehicle - but usually they prepare a bit more in advance than two months!

This thread is interesting and gives a reality check if you are planning the vegetable oil route. Are you planning WVO or SVO? The latter can be more expensive than diesel in the third world - yes, it's cleaner burning, but what kind of message is it that you're burning a luxury item as fuel in a country with per capita income less than $300US a year?

It's something to consider if you want to blend in and meet people and make friends.

Also heed advice here on the nav systems - most of the basemaps and nav systems don't match up well with reality in Central and South American countries. You need to be an expert at GPS calibration, real-time mapping, etc., to get the most out of it. If you're not, stick with paper maps, a compass, and a brain!

Lone Wolf

Observer
feralgreen said:

-Team FERAL GREEN

We are driving from California to Panama from the 14th August 2007. It may be worth considering joining us for our route, if it suits you. As has been said above, two vehicles is usually better than one. Particularly if you have such a short time frame, it will allow you to use the first Central America section much more as a shakedown trip.

We are keeping a website with a journal tracking our progress, it works by the expedition leader writing the journals on his laptop, and e-mailing them back, along with photos to the home team, to upload them to the website. It could probably be done much more efficiently, but probably not more cheaply.

Hope This helps, and good luck with your planning,

Nick and the Lone Wolf team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior