4x4 Winnebago Lesharo......Hideous Awesomeness

CLynn85

Explorer
I shouldn't like this, I shouldn't want it, but I do. Everyone knows the stock Renault chassis and engine was rubbish, but it now rides on a stretched awd safari, with 350 chevy power. I wish they'd left the 4.3, though the 350 if done well should be reliable and easy to get parts for and fix.

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/listing/1986-Winnebago-Lesharo-LX-4x4-98784150

98784150_2thumb_550x410.jpg

98784150_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Another vehicle if it was closer I would buy. Two things that I would do is remove the rear rack (for most of the travels) and add a bush bar on the front.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Although i would never actually purchase one, I'm strangely drawn to this vehicle. Anyone care to estimate what fuel economy might be on this thing?

Railvan

Adventurer
Wow... My brain just went CLUNK... Talk about 'different"! Makes me wonder, if a person bought a cheap used Lesharo, and a used Ford 7.3 diesel powered cutaway chassis van, (sell the box on the cutaway if it has one) could you drop the RV part of the Lesharo on the Ford van chassis???.... Cut the Lesharo off at the back of the cab and salvage the RV "box", and mount it on a strong diesel powered chassis, and would a U Joint 4x4 conversion fit the frame rails of a cutaway??? Anybody know what's the inside height of the Lehsaro?

loren85022

Explorer
when you look at the market for RV'ers and for 4wd folks, it seems like a vehicle such as this would have a market share. My pop retired and lives out of a Sprinter for long stretches. Yet he still takes his SUV hunting. Maybe by the time I get AARP, it'll happen. That on a 30 day run down the Baja seems perfect.

Toyotero

Explorer
Wow, that was built out of one of these :Wow1:

1989%20Le%20Sharo%20Trader.jpg

Seeing that is like meeting an ugly girl at a party who later tells you about how she spent last summer peak bagging half of the 14ers in Colorado...

D

Deleted member 9101

really... thats insanely awesome and a 350> most other motors IMOH (ease of maintenance, affordability, simplicity, and cost)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I think it looks OK. But how will the motorhome parts hold up to rough roads, I wonder?
Someone needs to buy it so we can all find out. :sombrero:

FWIW, they get about $15K to change out the original Renault engine and tranny for a Chrysler V6 setup, so you can figure that the buyer will get a good deal on the driveline swap with the motorhome thrown in for free.

Lots of information about LeSharos on the internets for anyone who cares.

kerry

Expedition Leader
There was a converter putting GM v-6's in the LeSharo for a while. (in Montana I think). That's the best use of a LeSharo I've seen. Both the original engines--gas and diesel typically failed in short order, but I've always been drawn to them, partly because apart from VW vans, it was the first European van chassis motorhome built by a US motorhome company (to my knowledge). (maybe Motoroam was first). I really liked the pull-out bath/shower arrangement in the LeSharo. Good use of space. Price seems quite good for what it is.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I'd be able to see that from route 3 if it's sitting in your driveway......and you'd certainly never lose it in the woods......plenty of room for you.....and 350 Chevys are easy peasy motors to run and maintain, and parts are available anywhere in the states.....

new ride?:Wow1:

Riptide

Explorer
Wow. That is actually pretty cool. The color is a little, um, jarring, but then again, the original vehicle was too.

Would love to see this one again on ExPo, in more detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles