M416 Trailer DMV Registration after build

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
I got a question concerning the legal aspect of getting my M416 road worthy (legally anyway) after I am done with the rebuild. For you folks that have built a trailer. how are you getting the registration done? What numbers are you using for VIN# or SER#? My trailer came with no data plate or paperwork. It was one of those "You can have it if you just get it out of my yard" kind a deals, so who was I to argue!

Attachments

• DSC01999.JPG
    DSC01999.JPG
    770.4 KB · Views: 55

yj4trails

Observer
Varies from state to state. Most likely would have to get a temp. vehicle permit from DMV. Then make appointment with the state patrol and have the trailer inspected. State patrol will issue vin number and then take it back to the DMV to get title issued.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
In FL all that was required us that it had a VIN. Since the previous owner had it tagged in GA they provided a VIN plate (easy enough to make if you needed one). Florida is moving away from registering home builds as to the large number of accidents they have seen because of them. If needed a trophy shop or similar could make you a VIN ate an you rivet it on.

Aaron

fjcruzn

Observer
I registered mine as home built in Texas as well. I went back the next year and added a serial number that I stamped on the frame because taking the trailer into Mexico without a serial number was difficult until we found a work around...

I know some states will give you a serial number for a home built when you register the trailer.

cheers,

dale

WahooCreek

In Georgia, you have to get the trailer inspected to be sure that it is roadworthy, and then you are given a "homemade trailer" serial number (with trailer tag) for it and a small metal plate to affix to the trailer which has the serial number stamped on it. The description on mine was "4x6 Utility Trailer". You probably have some similar law on the books in Virginia.

GreenTaco4x4

Observer
If you go on the va dmv website you can request a VIN for a homebuilt trailer and plates for it. The for is fax or email based, I believe.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Same deal with Ca. I purchased a m419 in Az and did the reg in Ca. No vin just an Az plate. DMV came out inspected the trailer,lights ect and gave me a Vin sticker tag and they placed it on the trailer. But laws change state to state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne