03 Toyota Tacoma Suspension

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Posting this up for my brother since he has a couple of question on the new suspension that he bought for his 03 Double Cab Tacoma.

Received my OME kit for my 04 TRD 4wd. Everything looks great and very heavy. It looks like I forgot to order the diff drop or they forgot. Rear shocks haven't came in. Have Bilsteins 5125's on the back for now. Anyways I have a few questions that I hope someone could answer.

1. Where does the extra leaf go? Third row down? Why no squeak / friction pad? What kind of grease do I need? Is it alright to use the same grease as the driveline? Why is the center part of the extra leafs flat looking, not curved. What should that center pin be torqued to?

2. The + side of the leafs go toward the front, right? Also what side does A + B go?

3. Where does that 5mm trim packer go? Is it even needed?

4. Looks like the 10mm lift enhance kit sits on top of the strut assembly. I'm I correct? This should level out the truck, right?

5. Do I need to grease the bushings when installing in the leafs and shackles or is this down afterwards since their greasable? Is it alright to use the same grease that I have for the driveline?

6. What amount of for the front diff. I see 3/4 & 1". I should probably just get the one from Wheelers.

OMEKit001.jpg

Box Rocket

I'll do my best with some answers.

1. Where does the extra leaf go? Third row down? Why no squeak / friction pad? What kind of grease do I need? Is it alright to use the same grease as the driveline? Why is the center part of the extra leafs flat looking, not curved. What should that center pin be torqued to? The AAL should be the new 3rd leaf from the top. Not sure why no friction pad is part of the design but it doesn't seem to be necessary. OME springs are designed with a flat portion in the center where the springs rest on the spring perch. That way the springs are not 'forced' flat when the ubolts are tightened. I don't have a torque # on the center pin. I just got it snug and left it.

2. The + side of the leafs go toward the front, right? Also what side does A + B go? + side S9de with full military wrap will go on the forward end. Military wrap will always go on the fixed (non-shackle) end of the spring. A should be driver side, B passenger side IIRC.

3. Where does that 5mm trim packer go? Is it even needed? The gold zinc coated trim packer goes between the lower coil plate (black peice that holds bottom of coil) and the machined lip on the shock body. Just above where the Nitrocharger sticker is. If you want to use that trim packer you'll need to take the strut assembly apart to install it.

4. Looks like the 10mm lift enhance kit sits on top of the strut assembly. I'm I correct? This should level out the truck, right? I didn't use those on mine, but from what I can tell, yes they would go on top of the strut assembly.

5. Do I need to grease the bushings when installing in the leafs and shackles or is this down afterwards since their greasable? Is it alright to use the same grease that I have for the driveline? Either way will work, but you may find assembly slightly easier if you use grease prior to assembly. Personally I like have grease on the outside of the bushings as well. If you grease them afterward, you will only get grease on the inside of the bushings.

6. What amount of for the front diff. I see 3/4 & 1". I should probably just get the one from Wheelers. I got the 1" diff drop from Cornfed Suspensions. I think it was around $15.

HTH. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles