Another "which bike should I get" thread.

My wife recently received a job offer in Italy. We have been here three weeks and I just found out that it's highly unlikely that my XJ will be coming over due it violating the Italian "wheels can't be outside fender" law.

I've been a long time lurker here, and was actually hoping to be able to get some really killer expedition driving in while in Europe.

So since my Jeep won't be coming, I want to transition to a motorcycle. I have a little experience with a 600cc street bike, but haven't been on a dirt bike since I was 5. The main requirement be that the bike be street legal (dirt tires are fine and probably preferred). The other requirement be that it fit me. I'm 6'3" and a motorcycle wreck left me not being able to bend my right knee more than 100 degrees. I don't fit on any sport bikes, cruisers are fine, some dirt bikes are too compact for me.

What bikes do you guys recommend? New is fine, used is ok, but might be hard to find due to language barrier and such. Is 125cc enough to haul me (180lbs) from my house to some trails (Swiss Alps are only a couple hours away)? 4-stroke, 2-stroke?

I'm a complete newbie, sell me on something.

sandalscout

Adventurer
You've got a lot of sweet options in Europe that we don't have here, probably more total options. With you knee issue, I think that a 125cc bike might be a bit short in the seat to pegs distance to be comfortable. Something in the 250cc range is still possibly a bike short to fit the knee angle requirement, but a bit closer.

What options do you have in the 400cc range? Here, there aren't many, but the DRZ or KLX is there and possibly more suited to a few hours ride to trails than a 125/250 is, you may have some even better local choices. There are a slew of Euro-market 600cc bikes that would be a good fit as well. Tenere, Africa Twin, etc.

Where about in Italy? Obviously the north, somewhere I hope to visit some day. MY wife and I spent 2 weeks in Tuscany last year, absolutely loved it. Her family is from there and having local connections made it an amazing experience.

Good luck, I think that getting out and riding some bikes will be a quick way to rule out certain models or even classes pretty quickly.

Where about in Italy? Obviously the north, somewhere I hope to visit some day. MY wife and I spent 2 weeks in Tuscany last year, absolutely loved it. Her family is from there and having local connections made it an amazing experience.

We don't have a house yet, but my wife's job is very near Pisa and Livorno. We've been in hotels for 6 weeks now. Don't ever let anyone tell you it's fun.

I sat on a KTM 450 EXC (or whatever the new acronym is for the dual sport) and really liked it. The dealer wanted $9000 euro though, or around $13,000 USD. I can get one stateside for around $7000 I think. I check out the two you mentioned. Thanks.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Very cool, you are in a neat place. My wife's mom is from Livorno, and her aunt still lives there. I really like Livorno. More family lives in Pecciolli, Arrezzo and Florence, so many awesome places there.

Lots of great street riding if you feel comfortable on the rtoads around there, weekends seemed crazy with the bikers lane splitting on 2 lane roads in the hills. South of Livorno along the beach was a very neat area to drive, in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck finding a bike, I think you will find something that fits the bill and price range you want, but used might be the way to go. Plenty of English speakers around Pisa University and Camp Darby (AH, that's probably were your wife is? My father in law was stationed there and meet his wife while there).

acasper708

Observer
Get a BMW!! U can probably get a better deal over there than states side. They got a few different dual sport style bikes. You can load them up with camping gear!

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Austria isn't that far away.

Would it be possible to take the train to Austria, to the KTM factory (if that's the bike you really want), purchase it there and then ride it back to Italy? There will be lots of paperwork I'm sure, but could save you big $$.

You didn't say how long you plan on staying there. If this is just for a couple of years, you may be able to get it as a future export bike. I don't know about license plates, etc., in a situation like that.

Look used. I bought my '02 BWM 650GS Dakar 1-1/2 years ago for a significant savings over a new one. I love the bike, btw. enough power to take my wife on rides and also to go camping solo with all my gear.

I'm old and have bad hips, so I have to throw my right leg forward and over the seat rather than bending it at the knee and straddling the bike like a cowboy. My Dakar seat is pretty high and this allows me to get on it without any problems at all.

good luck and keep us informed about your new life journey! I think a lot of us are a bit envious!:bike_rider:

Attachments

• Dakar 5-19-11 #4.jpg
    Dakar 5-19-11 #4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Dakar 5-19-11 #2.jpg
    Dakar 5-19-11 #2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 21

j.p.

Which bike?

For my money i would say a Kawasak KLR 650-heavily supported by the aftermarket , particularly aimed at the adventure touring community.
inexpensive bike to purchase and maintain-competent both on and off road-LIGHT and well balenced even with all your crap stapped on.
I'm no expert but been riding for 40 plus years-not brand loyal,judge each engine on it's own merits-Kawasaki has been building these for 20 plus years-not cutting edge technology but a solid design with the bugs discovered by riders over the years and solutions found,being a design with few changes ,you can find parts(cables tires,plugs,shifters etc.) IN STOCK at out-of-the way places from Alaska to south America ( can't say for Europe -haven't ridden there since 1995)
the only bike that has those bragging rights would be the B.M.W.(IMHO) and there you are looking at a larger initial outlay and modifications or accessories will also be priced dearly-which will affect your boldness to try a particularly difficult terrain challenge -I own a Beemer too and love it but ALWAYS take the KLR if i know it's going to be technical...and I almost forgot,they come stock with brushguards and a 6 gallon tank!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior