04 disco or Tacoma?

It's been a WHILE since I made this type
Of thread. Since I sold my discovery my only form of transportation has been my motorcycle, I know I'm going to need a vehicle though soon.

I had a 98 discovery, I know them FAR too well. I was originally looking at getting an 03-04 disco but now I'm considering just getting a Tacoma.

I never saw myself going roverless. There is still a great mystique to them
While a Tacoma is just another truck.

But I have a few beefs with the discovery
Engine - outdated
4-5 mpg less than Tacoma
Gems system SUCKED. I believe the bosh is much better
Not very dependable (don't try to convince me)

But somehow it's almost still worth getting another one, there just that awesome... In a sick strange self hating way.

Help me out

Howski

certainly the gas mileage sucks but i have had a pretty pleasant ownership experience with my 04' disco. it has actually been more reliable than i thought it would be. the only time i was stranded was due to a blown rear diff (my own fault). if you do get a newer disco, i would get an 04' over an 03' for a few reasons. (a) the 04' does not have the oil pump issues and (b) the 04' has a center locking diff which is very helpful off-road. it also has a solid front axle over the Taco if that is a concern for you. they are usually much cheaper than Taco's as well which gives you some money to invest in preventative maintainence and some off-road/expo mods.

Applejack

Explorer
Do you have kids or pets that travel with you? What are your travels/adventures like.
3+ rock gardens? For most off road work the Taco's IFS is super robust and is nothing to worry about. You just have to be a bit less liberal with the skinny pedal in favor of careful line picking, when crawling in the rocks.

Anyway, we need a little more info about what you do before we could really help out.
After all, a vehicle is a very personal thing.

It sees little offroad use, however when it
Does be bad, never rocks (don't exist in south Louisiana) tight trails, sand some mud and water thrown in (sunk my rover up to the windows in water)

I guess it's not very extreme, I do mostly long distance interstate driving to the location then very little offloading. Usually like to go camping or anywhere a normal vehicle can't.

No kids or pets just me and fiancé. I work my way into some pretty decent obstacles but always just for fun, nothing a lift can't fix. I did enjoy the discoveries short wheelbase for ditch crossings

Just now realizing 2 things..

I probably posted this in the wrong section

and the tacoma wheelbase is hell long.. I thought it was 110 for some reason.. ITS 127"

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
A lot of people love their Tacoma. I enjoyed mine but the IFS was a limitation off road - no matter what the IFS crowd wants to say to make themselves feel better.

Tacoma's are far from 'just another truck.' Uber reliable and easy to source goodies for. Reliability is a value that is hard to put a dollar figure on.

I read once that 80% of all Land Rover's built are still on the road. The other 20% made it home.

78Bronco

Explorer
Love the Land Rovers but I would opt to restore or upgrade an older model with some Toyota or Ford drivetrain. All those stupid friggin sensors, electronics will just cause you headaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94