Base camp and Scouting rigs...

oregonslammi

the builder
So new to this forum but love all the thought going into these rigs. would love to see pics of peoples base camp rigs/setups, and what you might have to go scouting with, small motorcycle, bike, another smaller 4x4? whatcha got?

I currently am contemplating an outfitt that would involve my 02 frontier crew that would be base camp and flat towing my 87 sammi booney womper as the scouting rig? could also mount dirtbike to sammi to have that much more of an option.

what's your thoughts? pics of any setups like this, bugout setups, anything really, just trying to dream up some scenarios in case the next rapture really happens, hahaha. remember it's not if, it's when..

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
My long-term plans include a similar idea, just on a larger scale. Fullsize p/u with slide-in camper and towing my Cherokee.

With your idea, and the vehicles involved, make sure to pay close attention to your weight capacities. I think the Frontier can tow up to ~ 6000 pounds correct? The Sammi of course is a light vehicle, but you're going to need to factor in the weight of the trailer, and the gear that you'll have in the back of the tow vehicle as well.

IMO the base camp + scouting rig is a great idea, and a great way to get to and from your destination safely, and still explore some really difficult terrain.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
I've been pondering a similar idea since the NC Rally where I got a chance to look at several RTTs and trailer setups. What I'm considering doing is building a custom trailer that would be my base camp and then of course my truck being used to explore and enjoy the scenery. I'm wanting to go the trailer route for two main reasons, initial cost and cost while on trips, such as fuel mileage. Pulling a small trailer behind my truck won't hurt my mileage badly like a slide-in camper or larger camper in tow would.

A larger camper towing a smaller 4x4 would however allow many more options and much more comfort while on trips but would cost a great deal more to setup and operate. While it wouldn't be expedition friendly an idea I had a few years ago was to use bus as a camper and toy hauler. At that time I traveled around the country with 2-6 ATVs so it would have been perfect for that, camper setup in front, bathroom with full shower in middle section, and then a mobile shop and area to haul the ATVs in the rear with a custom fold-down rear door.

oregonslammi

the builder
sammi weighs in at 2000 stock wet weight. additiional dirtbike-+250 lbs = 2250 give or take, my sammi has very little sheetmetal left, mostly tube, so i think with bike i would be around 2150 or so.

Frontier does good with towing, have towed some trailers that probably shouldn't have, needs some 4.11's to do it justice though. frontier with fully loaded roof rack and bed 2 adults and 2 kids 1 dog weighs in around 5500. towing isn't my big concern, it's stopping..hahaha. definitely would be mellow with rig in tow and just try to get close to where i want to explore. most likely going to setup the frontier with a bed shelf system and misc. booney camping items, i.e. water tank (added weight) dual batteries and small solar panel (added weight) hoping to keep frontier around 6000 fully loaded and ready to rock.

sammi can't hold to much weight because of suspenion mods but i'm sure it can handle a dirtbike properly mounted for towing purposes.

any pics out there, i'm really into the survivalist bugout setups right now, i live in so. oregon and see these on occasion

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Would a 250 pound (I'm assuming an approximate weight?) bike mounted to the rear of the Sami cause any handling issues? Too much weight on the rear and end up lifting the front tires a bit? The Sami is already small enough, so I'm not sure if you really "need" the dirt bike or not?
But otherwise just keep an eye on your total weights and you should be ok.

oregonslammi

the builder
yeah, i probably don't need the bike, but would be nice to have the option, i don't think that much weight would lift the tires off the ground unless you were going up a steep bumping road, and even then two full size passengers in the back seat is probably more weight than a motorcycle and haven't had issues with that, granted the bike would be hanging off the back, still don't think it would be an issue.

hell, the way i'm setup i could probably mount the damn thing on the front in between tow rig and towee.

just trying to keep as many options as possible open, remember i'm thinking bugout here, worse case scenarios and stuff.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
hell, the way i'm setup i could probably mount the damn thing on the front in between tow rig and towee.

just trying to keep as many options as possible open, remember i'm thinking bugout here, worse case scenarios and stuff.

Honestly if "I" was doing it, I would mount the bike on the front of the trailer, keep the weight distributed well on the trailer that way. I could see that bike acting as a nice counter-weighted lever on the rear of the Sami and flipping you on an incline, or at the least making the steering very light. The passengers in the back seat are right over the rear axle, the bike would be like 3-4' rear of the axle...
Plus you can drive it up the side of the trailer easily that way as well, have a flip-up ramp or whatever.

oregonslammi

the builder
no trailer in this setup, by flattowing i mean towbar on the sammi, can't afford to add extra weight to the combo by using a trailer to haul sammi. have you been in a sammi offroad? they are way more stable than you would think, they do have a short wheelbase of 88" but i would rock a sammi way before a rhino, people around here roll those things all the time trying to do what the sammis will do.

still would like to see/ hear ideas about bugout setups, whether it's a unimog or sportsmobile or anything flat towing anything so they have a scouting rig, i think this is a very pertinent setup for a boony camper who doesn't want to thrash about in their outfitted rig and smash into things. sometimes you just can't get where you wish you could, or maybe your camp is setup and you don't want to tear down just to check another potential spot.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Seems it would depend on what dirt bike you have, a 125 or a 900....

I'm where the OP is, trying to figure it out, but I already have all the options I guess. My first combination is an F-150, 4x4 Ext. Cab. I'm not sure I want a camper on it, (MPG) but a topper would be great. My Transalp dual sport will be hauled in the back or on a trailer. I have an 89 Raider too and a 95 Rodeo, either can tow the trailer and bike.
Geee,even my HHR will tow the bike and gear. Yes, I'll be selling some vehicles! After I figure it out.

I like the idea of a trailer with the F150 at base. I won't be rock climbing with a Transalp, but I can go anywhere I'd want to go on it, including down the road to the store.

If I got a travel trailer and modified it for off road and put the bike on the rear keeping the tounge weight down or put it in the truck.

I'm also trying to figure out some tear drop style on my existing trailer that could still haul the bike. I'd like to haul that with the Raider on shorter trips.

I have a tent that could go on the trailer with the bike unloaded, but I'd rather have something with hard insulated sides.

I'm also thinking of selling the vehicles and getting something bigger....and really getting "sold" on an Astro pulling the trailer/bike. Sleeping in the van. It's all up in the air, my F150with a topper would give me almost the interior space as an Astro and if my F150 could get about 5 MPG better, I'd stay with that I think.....but the van has a higher roof...LOL

When I got on this siye I was thinking of going to a larger unit, unimog, duce and a half what ever, but thinking about it, lots to build, more money, less MPG and decided bigger is not really better, at least for me. I think that a travel vehicle that is milder on the mods with the bike will take care of about anything I'd want to do.

Gotta have room for the canoe or the inflatable too!

Good luck on your selections.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
While it might not be exactly what you have in mind here is one possibility. This is our base-camp set-up, though bear in mind we don't bring along an auxillary scouting vehicle on our trips but use the tow vehicle as our wandering rig.

100_1451a.jpg

It's a Fleetwood Evolution E1 offroad pop-up. While you ain't gonna drag it down the Rubicon it works just fine on bumpy forest roads and two tracks. We use it as a base-camp while we unleash the Tundra for wandering and exploring duties when we're setting up for multi-day exploration of an area. There is a front cargo basket (it's under the front slide out) that a dirt bike will fit quite nicely on the front of the pop-up enclosure. The larger models of the Evolution (the E2 and E3) have larger front racks so you can fit an ATV, multiple bikes or in the case of the E3 multiple ATVs. We've had this one for 4 years now (though it's an '05 model) and have been happy with it.

On the other hand my buddy has a flatbed car trailer with a slide-in truck camper mounted backwards: the overhang is towards the back of the trailer. He has room to park a pair of ATVs or his Razor SXS under the slide-in's overhang with room to spare.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have a class A motor home and have flat towed our FJ60 for years. The motor home is great for comfort and 60 takes us nearly anyplace we may want to go. We do mostly day trips in the 60, but do a couple over nighter's if the mood strikes.

The motor home does not even feel the 60 when towing...except on the big uphills at elevation, and that's not even too bad.

I think this is a great way to to see the country.

Doug

oregonslammi

the builder
durability would be an issue too. i've had nice insulated camper shells setup for this purpose but they don't seem to last with the rigors of off road driving. the other thing is that i'm poor, hahaha, i can fab anything, but cannot buy what i idealy want, i.e. previous setups show. so anything i do to make this setup work will have to be with what i got. not getting something bigger or better, just gotta play the hand i got dealt.

been putting alot of though into outfitting the frontier. went to the surplus store yesterday and got some good ideas on awnings for cheap. has anyone used the mesh style camo tarp, i don't know how to explain it. it's like a cargo net with fabric wove through it. thinking of making awnigs that utilize a portion of that stuff for maximum hideout ability, remember, trying to setup my rig bugout style. when i go booney camping i like to post up and hide, don't have to worry about getting messed with that way, you never know, some of the areas around here can be sketchy so it's nice to have your camp blend in as best as possible, plus i love the look of the mesh netting.

Ghostyman

Observer
I use a fullsize 1973 Dodge van to flat tow my Samurai out to camping sites. Neither of them are ideal for very long expeditions but the combo is perfect for a 4-5 day trip within California. A couple motorcycles fit in the van with no problem and once they are unloaded, the van becomes the sleeping area.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz