Help me choose an off road and expedition vehicle

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I am selling my 1990 Pathfinder and looking for an off-road/expedition vehicle to replace it. Max budget is $25,000 including necessary mods.

Currently I am considering a 2005 Xterra and adding a lift, skid plates and lockers (the off-road model seems like a waste of money) and a used 2002 Isuzu Trooper with very low miles (less than 20k mi).

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. At this point I am open to nearly anything. I usually have at least one other person with me, possibly two, and usually two dogs. I want something that will be at least as capable off-road as the Pathfinder, though I could sacrifice a little on-road if I have too (the Pathfinder is very dialed in, but a bit stiff). Fuel effeciency is important.

Thanks,
Bill

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Xterra's seem to be a poplular rig (with happy owners), here in SLC there is a very active Xterra club. They get out alot and seem to do great.

Have you considered a TRD Tacoma? 4 Dr?

UncleChris

Adventurer
I test drove a XTerra before purchasing my Tacoma and although it is a nice vehicle, it seemed (to me) a bit heavy. I liked the feel of the Taco better.

With a pickup, I could throw grimey gear and muddy dogs in the back, and with the 4dr, I could throw people in the back(best of both worlds). With the shell that I have on it, I have a large cargo space.

Take a taco for a test drive and see what you think.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I have not seriously considered a Taco yet, but it sounds like I should. I know the TRD package pushes it over what I was hoping to spend by a fair amount.
Bill

UncleChris

Adventurer
If you get a AAA price on it it helps. Mine dropped $2k.

Just give it a test drive and see what you think.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
With your budget, I would recommend the Trooper. But I am a bit biased though:D Good space, power, and ability. resell value is low so you can pick one up fairly cheap, and use the rest of the money for outfitting it properly. Down side is poor aftermarket support, but there is plenty of good stuff available for it and are not too expensive. Solid motor and powertrain, but the 3.5 is a bit quirky. I do think that all of the quirks were worked out by 02. That is my opinion on the vehicles mentioned. I would also consider a mid 90's FZJ80 LandCruiser. Might be an even better option. More room than the Trooper, more capable, not as powerful, as reliable if not more, a bit more expensive, but great aftermarket support and very reasonable prices as well.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I am kinda biased but I believe the Xterra would be a very viable choice. Good wheelbase, good storage, some very Expedition appropriate equipment available, good looks, and plenty of support from me! I may have a Fronty but they're quite similar mechanically. I have plenty of websites where you could find further support as well.

Finding one at a good price sometimes can be the problem with them, though.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
The BN Guy said:
I am kinda biased but I believe the Xterra would be a very viable choice. Good wheelbase, good storage, some very Expedition appropriate equipment available, good looks, and plenty of support from me! I may have a Fronty but they're quite similar mechanically. I have plenty of websites where you could find further support as well.

Finding one at a good price sometimes can be the problem with them, though.

I'm pretty much open to anything right now, so an X is still in the picture. I'll check out the Taco today. Who know an old Pathfinder would be so hard to replace?

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well we used to have an Xterra. I hated it. Heavy, uncomfortable seats, fuel mileage sucked, roof rack was to high, and it was underpowered and had a bad tendency to hydroplane. It was however reliable, it came with a first aid kit, and it looked cool. These are my impressions as a former owner take it with a grain of salt.

I know there are alot of people intersted in them as a poormans landrover so to say. I would say no matter what you get if the offroad package doesn't come with a locker forget it. You are going to upgrade the suspension anyway. Even then if it's 2k for that package you can add a locker for less so unless there are some other gadgets that you can only get in that package that will make it wirth wild I would skip it.

My choices would be Tacoma pre 2K5 double cab, Used 80 series land cruiser, Trooper, or for 25 you could buy just about any old vehicle and rebuild it to meet you needs like any 55/60/62 series cruiser, seriers type land rover, etc

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Thanks Nullifier, good points.

Nullifier said:
I would say no matter what you get if the offroad package doesn't come with a locker forget it. You are going to upgrade the suspension anyway. Even then if it's 2k for that package you can add a locker for less so unless there are some other gadgets that you can only get in that package that will make it wirth wild I would skip it.

Well, the offroad package on the X is about $5k and comes with nothing that wouldn't get pitched anyway -- pretty expensive locker!

My choices would be Tacoma pre 2K5 double cab, Used 80 series land cruiser, Trooper, or for 25 you could buy just about any old vehicle and rebuild it to meet you needs like any 55/60/62 series cruiser, seriers type land rover, etc

Do you have anything against the new Tacos besides the price? I'm concerned about dropping $20k on a used Land Cruiser with 150k mi that gets 14 mpg. A Trooper may still be a possibility, but I haven't found one yet. This vehicle will be my daily driver too.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
BigG,

As I see it, you have a ton of choices. Lot's of pros and cons for all of them. Everyone will pimp their personal preferences.

25k will get you a vehicle in good condition and plenty of accessories.

What do you need the vehicle to do? How many passengers and how much equipment do you need to move? How heavily do you intend to modify the vehicle? Many vehicles have very weak aftermarket support.

I suggest you determine all your needs and then narrow the list down. After that, test drive the vehicles you are looking into.

So just as an example, you could get yourself a 1999 UZJ100 Land Cruiser (with factory rear locker), full OME suspension, front and rear bumpers, winch, and roof rack for under the 25k budget.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Thanks to everyone who responded. Here is a quick update so far, the original Trooper I mentioned is out, it was an old ad that was never deleted. The Tacoma is out because the 4-door with the extra short bed won't have enough storage length in the bed and the the other option is a 140" wheelbase, which is way too long for my tastes.

calamaridog said:
BigG,

As I see it, you have a ton of choices. Lot's of pros and cons for all of them. Everyone will pimp their personal preferences.

25k will get you a vehicle in good condition and plenty of accessories.

What do you need the vehicle to do? How many passengers and how much equipment do you need to move? How heavily do you intend to modify the vehicle? Many vehicles have very weak aftermarket support.

Thanks Calmaridog, great questions.

This will be my primary vehicle, daily driver and off-road adventurer. Passenger load is at minimum two people plus two dogs and at maximum three people, one baby and two dogs. I am a photographer so I need to move a fair bit of equipment, though I can't imagine ever being out for more than two weeks at a shot, 4-5 days is the usual max. I can currently fit gear for two along with the dogs in my 1990 Pathfinder without any problem, so it is not like I pack the kitchen sink.

I don't intend to modify the vehicle any more than necessary, but I don't know enough about anything I am considering to really know what that means. My Pathfinder gets me where I need to go with a 2.5" lift, 31x10.5 tires and a lot of skid plates. I wish it had front and reat lockers. I'm not sure what I would need to get similar approach/departure/breakover angles from a Cruiser, maybe 33x10.5 (or metric equivalent) and a 2" lift plus f/r lockers and probably bumpers as well.

So just as an example, you could get yourself a 1999 UZJ100 Land Cruiser (with factory rear locker), full OME suspension, front and rear bumpers, winch, and roof rack for under the 25k budget.

If you would so kindly point me to where I could find one of those with reasonably low miles I would be so very thankful.
:bowdown:

chet

island Explorer
I don't understand you say you can fit everything in a pathfinder but the box on a tacoma is too small?

Also check out the frontier 4 door you can get the nismo package and wouldn't need to modify it at all.

I like the landcruisers though gas mileage sucks!

Look at this one! Already set up!

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=73008 :jumping:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
chet said:
I don't understand you say you can fit everything in a pathfinder but the box on a tacoma is too small?

Maybe I should clairfy, this truck will proverbially wear many hats. I can fit the gear I need in the Pathy, though most of the gear is for lightweight backpacking, so it is small. However, I also spend a lot of time on bike, both road bikes and mountain bikes, and need to be able to easily fit two bikes in the back. I don't think I can do that on the extra short bed Tacomas with a cap on it. With a little creativity, I was able to fit two people, two dogs, two bikes and gear for a long weekend in the back of the 1990 Pathfinder.

Also check out the frontier 4 door you can get the nismo package and wouldn't need to modify it at all.

I will thanks, though I have to admit that the new ones just don't seem to be screwed together as well as the old ones. Perhaps it is just my imagination, but that is one of my concerns with the Xterra.

I like the landcruisers though gas mileage sucks!

Me too, but same concern. I spoke with someone very knowledgeable this morning who said maintenance is frequently neglected on the FJ80s and LX 450s and if I should go that route to budget about $2k-$4k for repairs. Also, the 80's don't seem to have enough power to get up the mountain highways in Colorado very gracefully, so if I go with a Cruiser it probably has to be the 100.

What do you all thing about a 2002 4Runner with low miles. They cost about the same as a new Xterra and come with a 7/70 powertrain warranty. Is it still a viable option or just way overpriced for what they are?

Thank you all for the help!

chet

island Explorer
I like the new 4runners friends have one and it flys! A little overpriced but you get it back in resale later on.

I went and test drove a new Xterra wit the new engine and was really impressed. Its still too much cash for me though! :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior