Help me choose an off road and expedition vehicle

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I promised I would post back when I found a winner, and it looks like I have.

Silver 1999 Isuzu Trooper with a rebuilt engine. The owner upgraded a bunch of suspension components but the goal was a lift for looks, not necessarily a lift for improved performance and travel. The engine blew on the way home from his second trip to Moab which led to a lot of expenses that coincided with his realization that his style was more WRX than Trooper, so he sold it.

It has the ARB 819 springs in the back (medium heavy), Rancho 9000x shocks (so far very unimpressed with them) and some assorted poly bushings supporting 285/75 R16 Futura Dakota tires (also would not have been my first choice -- or my tenth). I think I will wear them out and replace with 265/75 or 235/85, or if I get really lucky run two sets of rims with street/snow and off-road tires. In my opinion the stock torsion bars are worthless and they will be replaced with something -- either Sway-a-Way 1549's or ARB. It is possible the bars just wore out from being over cranked.

Daniel Stern has begun the hunt for e-code lights for it and recommended Cibie Oscar's for auxiliary lighting.

As with the Pathfinder, all mods will be focused on improving the stock form as much as possible while maintaining efficiency, durabiliity and reliability -- nothing huge or monsterish. I go off-road for travel and scenery, not for rock crawling or stupid truck tricks. On the wish list are a refrigerator, on-board air, ARB lockers, ARB or possibly custom aluminum (local fab) winch bumper with winch, storage, CB, 2M,and probably a roof rack with basket (so that rack and aux. lighting can be easily removed from the vehicle when not needed, and none of it in that order. I will probably start addressing the storage issue in the next couple weeks.

I'm going to install manual hubs right away and ball joints and tie rod ends very shortly thereafter, but hold off on everything else until I'm sure it's a keeper. Seems like a good truck after a couple minor teething problems. I'll start a mod thread (and sell the Pathfinder) when I know it's a keeper. I was reading 4wdtrips and came across a mod thread for the Expeditions West Trooper including a list of planned mods, and will probably use that as a general road map, but with an eye more for comfort than pure utility (think Dynamat, not Rhino Liner).

Thank you all for your help and patience!

Scott Brady

Founder
Looking forward to following the build.

The torsion bars are likely ok. What shocks are up front? A Trooper really needs firm shocks.

After a few weeks, I am curious to hear your impressions. My Trooper has really become an old friend, with lots of great adventures during the 6 years of ownership.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Rancho 9000x sent on 9 (max stiff). I don't really know how these shocks work, but the settings are not linear. Right now they are 10 front and 7 back.

I think part of the problem may be that the torsions are so high that there is really no up travel, causing the truck to handle in weird ways. I'll dive in over the next several days and see what's up. Basically it is a case don't put it in your mouth if you don't know where it's been. I'll report back after some experience. I need to do some basic mods and then I'll take it on a shake-down trip through the San Juans and possibly to Moad to visit some friends at the end of July.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Bill, congrats once again. I know you will be happy with the truck if all was done properly from the previous owner. Since the engine is rebuilt you may not have the IMG problem and hopefully the oil consumption issue is gone as well. In any case, check your oil at every fill up until you start to notice a trend. I know I have to put a quart in mine every 4th tank of gas (approx. 1100 miles), and if I do a lot of steady highway driving or towing I need to check it every tank, and fill it accordingly. I also have to agree with Scott, the T bars are probably fine, the stock T bars are very stout, they are probably just a little over crancked. Now, if you add more weight up front (like a bull bar) you will notice a difference, and will probably handle better. But until then, turn them back about an inch and it should handle much better. Keep us posted and I know we are all more than happy to help you out if you need anything. I was going to post a pic of for all you guys, but he pulled the pics off the add after he marked it sold. It was posted up on Planetisuzoo and a very nice looking truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier