Tweaked lower control arm mount

saburai

Explorer
Hi Gang!

The other day I was out playing around and managed to bash, at a very slow speed my passenger side lower control arm mount. I whacked it hard enough to bend it a good bit. There is no noticeable change driving the truck over the road. I'm wondering what my best course of action would be. I'm thinking that I should take it apart and bend it back and then install some skid row LCA plates, here's a link:
http://www.skidplates.com/LCA_Plates.asp
They look pretty beefy and I think if I had had them on there before I took the hit, I wouldn't be writing this post...

Input, thoughts and suggestions please!

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've bent them in the past. No big deal as long as it is minor. I have a big adjustable wrench (about 10 inches) that is great at straightening them. Just tighten it up near the bend and pull it straight.

Those weld on skids work great. My Currie D44 front was beaten to death by the previous owner for nearly 10 years before I got the Jeep and the mounts are still arrow straight.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Just straighten it out as best you can and get some skids welded on. I am running the JKS mini skids and have never bent anything since.

Last edited:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Go with the weld on models

While the Skid Row bolt on types do provide some protection the weld on models also provide some strength to the thin sheet metal mounts coming down from the axle.

They can help prevent this from happening:

IMG_0268.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The skid row plates are big $$$.

I used some scrap flat stock to box mine in (way back when). Basically just welded a flat plate over the front, shot it with some spray paint, and called it good.

saburai

Explorer
Thanks for the input!

While the Skid Row bolt on types do provide some protection the weld on models also provide some strength to the thin sheet metal mounts coming down from the axle.

They can help prevent this from happening:

IMG_0268.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Hi Fred,

Can you show me an example of a weld on plate that protects the sides?
I know that Rusty's and the like make HD replacement LCA mounts, but (to my limited) knowledge, I've not seen weld on skids that make the mount stronger other than just boxing the top of it...

Last edited:

jonzer12

First finish welding the stock mounts on to the axle tube. From teh factory they are only held on with about 1" of weld bead. Then just crab some 3/16 or 1/4 scrap and make your own. It takes literally minutes.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The skid row plates are big $$$.

I used some scrap flat stock to box mine in (way back when). Basically just welded a flat plate over the front, shot it with some spray paint, and called it good.

First finish welding the stock mounts on to the axle tube. From teh factory they are only held on with about 1" of weld bead. Then just crab some 3/16 or 1/4 scrap and make your own. It takes literally minutes.

^^This^^ Any welder worth his salt can do it for you in about 20 minutes for around $30 with some scrap he has laying around. I tweaked the lower mounts on my old LP30 within the first 6 months of owning the Jeep. Had a buddy box in the mount with some 1/4 in flat stock and never had an issue with it for the next 9 years before I swapped in my current HP30 that I had reinforced prior to swapping it in. "Boxing" in the mount is exactly that, the flat stock gets welded to the sides of the current brackets, as well as being welded to the axle housing. This adds strength and rigidity so it doesn't happen again.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Boxing adds strength

Hi Fred,

Can you show me an example of a weld on plate that protects the sides?
I know that Rusty's and the like make HD replacement LCA mounts, but (to my limited) knowledge, I've not seen weld on skids that make the mount stronger other than just boxing the top of it...

By boxing it in you add strength to the sides, When they come in contact with a rock or other object they won't tend to curl out which is usually the first thing that happens. Any hit to one side of the bracket is shared by the entire bracket when boxed in. I agree that any piece of scrap metal will work. I used the ones made by Currie Enterprises.

This is the best picture I have of mine just to the right of the diff and the jack stand.

IMG_0064.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Fred's got it right, welding in strengthens whats there not just intending to protect them.

Welded some in on my new axle as well, just some plate i had lying around.

XJreassembly2004-1.jpg

GP'd

Adventurer
Ugh....reading this makes me realize I might as well do this while the axle is out of the car.

I may go with the complete Currie unit (CE-7111) rather than the skids.

Fred, was there a reason you went to skids instead of full brackets?

Last edited:

saburai

Explorer
I guess I should find some one around here to do a bit of welding for me! It looks to me like the best route to go would be some thing like the Currie HD LCA mount coupled with their mini skids welded on.

What do you guys think a fair price for labor would be to have the job done? I.e. cutting off the old mounts and welding on the new mounts and mini skids?

Last edited:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
New mounts may not be necessary........

Ugh....reading this makes me realize I might as well do this while the axle is out of the car.

I may go with the complete Currie unit (CE-7111) rather than the skids.

Fred, was there a reason you went to skids instead of full brackets?

Properly boxed in they should be able to handle most of what you throw at them. I've never had any problem with the stock mounts boxed in. I'm just now after 40,000 off road miles replacing the entire axle assembly and upon inspection they still are solid and have preformed well.

I guess if the axle is already out it would be fairly easy to remove and replace. I do welding for some of the guys but I have them to all the prep work. If you in the Whittier area, let me know perhaps I could help out.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

GP'd

Adventurer
Properly boxed in they should be able to handle most of what you throw at them. I've never had any problem with the stock mounts boxed in. I'm just now after 40,000 off road miles replacing the entire axle assembly and upon inspection they still are solid and have preformed well.

I guess if the axle is already out it would be fairly easy to remove and replace. I do welding for some of the guys but I have them to all the prep work. If you in the Whittier area, let me know perhaps I could help out.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Fred,

I really appreciate the offer but I have a TIG and MIG sitting in the garage waiting to be fired up once I decide which brackets to get. The LCA brackets on the D30 I have sitting here are slightly tweaked so I'd rather cut them off and get some thicker steel on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke