Am I Crazy?

huntsonora

Explorer
I am looking for a dual sport motorcycle to get around in the high country with. I spend a lot of time hunting in areas that have motorcycle only trails and I am thinking about getting one to save some time up there.

The bike I am leaning toward is a Yamaha TW200. I know its small but I think that might be good for getting around on some of those narrow trails.

Heres the kicker, I'm 6'4" and 240lbs. Amazing little bikes.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'm 6'4" 280 and I get around just fine on an '82 Yamaha XT200 (same basic engine as the TW) and a '76 DT175C (ring ding). I wouldn't even think of using either one for a fully loaded long-distance ADV ride, but they are perfect to mosey around the hills and deserts.

76-dt175c-2.jpgsunrise_ready_to_roll.jpg

Though lately, I've been thinking about a Honda powered Rokon. With an engine upgrade to a GX200 I bet I could have a lot of fun with that.

Not street legal of course...

Rokon3.jpg

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I'm 6' even and the KLR650 seems to be a good fit, maybe even a little tall for me. It also has a great reputation as a dual sport.

I haven't ridden a bike in 25 years and am thinking about getting back into it. When I did ride I had a Kawasaki 250 Enduro, that's what we called dual sports back in the day:elkgrin:, it was a little under powered for me on the street and I only weighed 150# back then. I can't imagine it hauling my plump middle aged ******** around.

Put it this way, have you ever heard anybody say "Gee I wish I had a less power."?

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Huntsonora,

The TW will probably serve you well based on your intended use, if you find you need more low end grunt you can gear down and I'm certain it'll go anywhere you'll want to go. However, if you plan to do a lot of pavement pounding then the TW will disappoint you. They are not fast bikes but they'll go just about anywhere. Check out this link if you want more info on the TW. http://tw200forum.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles