GMRS as an alternative to CB or 2m?

Sorry you feel that way. I guess it is a good thing you are not back in the 50s because the you would have had more electronics plus 5 words per minute Morse code to learn and demonstrate proficiency at both sending and receiving. On top of all that travel to the local FCC field office for testing by an FCC engineer. I don't know how much easier they could make it for people today. The tech questions are mere basic electronics. At some point in time a situation might/will arise that you wished you had access a 2M repeater when all else fails. Adding one more option in case of need is like a soldier having one more bullet in his rifle. He may never need it but he was thankful the day he was down to his last round. Think beyond yourself and about those 3 other people that you would do anything for to protect their life.

mikekey

Deplorable
I'm glad it's so easy for you. :rolleyes:

It's out-dated. 200 question pool for 30 question test, with questions like:

What is the formula for converting frequency to approximate wavelength in meters?

What, in general terms, is standing wave ratio (SWR)?

This is for a hobby, when electronics were new and people built rigs. Save it for the General.

Rules, Regs, Proper User

Hobby is dying off and seeing limited use becuase people with families and careers are to busy to memorize a 200 question pool for a 30 question test compromised of things nonrelevant to their life.

Last edited:

SilverBob

Hobby is dying off and seeing limited use becuase people with families and careers are to busy to memorize a 200 question pool for a 30 question test compromised of things nonrelevant to their life.

Actually, No it isn't! According to the ARRL, (and they should know) there are more licensed hams in the US now than ever before.

http://www.arrl.org/news/us-amateur-radio-numbers-reach-an-all-time-high

That article was from 2015 when there were 726,275 licensed US hams. I just checked the FCC license page and I see that the number has risen to 801,424. That actually seems like pretty decent growth to me.

If you can't or don't want to take the time to learn some really basic material, just stick with GMRS or whatever works for you. But to suggest that the test is somehow antiquated or obsolete just because you can't figure it out is absurd. Hell, my wife passed it and she doesn't know her *** from an ohmmeter! Frankly, I always figured that anyone who can't pass a 35 question, multiple choice test, when given the answers ahead of time, would probably just poke his eye out with his antenna anyway! :peepwall:

Kinger

Observer
I've said this in another thread but I'll say it again here. The comparison to HAM is not a reasonable one to make. GMRS is an EXCELLENT CB replacement, and CB is the overwhelmingly popular choice for most trail comms. Cost, ease of access, range, and packaging all play a roll in why GMRS is superior to CB. I suppose the HAM comparison keeps being drawn due to the license component but they are not comparable (or maybe it's being considered bc they want more range than CB). HAM has unique benefits that may only be understood or considered by a unique user group. GMRS is nearly as accessible as CB but is superior in pretty much every measurable way. The only "hurdle" is the fee which is nominal for pretty much anyone.

For the record I run both GMRS and CB. GMRS is plug and play (cigarette lighter power and mag antenna), my wife or I can carry a handheld for whatever when out of the vehicle (spotting or hiking), there's no antenna tuning, costs are similar, range is literally miles better, and the packaging is easier to mount. For the average person it's a much better solution.

The continued comparison to HAM is counter-productive. HAM is better in many ways. However, for the average person a test is a non-starter. You can't and won't convince them otherwise. For how little trail-comms play a role in my everyday life I can't see myself taking a test anytime soon. I'm a gadget geek so that could change at any time, but considering how busy I am every day it's unlikely that I'll ever take the test. I'm just not that interested. And I'd bet my next paycheck 99.9% of radio users fall in the same boat.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've said this in another thread but I'll say it again here. The comparison to HAM is not a reasonable one to make. GMRS is an EXCELLENT CB replacement, and CB is the overwhelmingly popular choice for most trail comms. Cost, ease of access, range, and packaging all play a roll in why GMRS is superior to CB.
Well, I've ranted about this before but IMO the real barrier to entry in the Ham world is not the test (which is pretty easy) rather, it is the complexity of most of the modern Ham radios out there. In all seriousness, if you think the TEST is hard, wait until you read the manual on a 2m or dual-band radio. It's like trying to read Sanskrit. :rolleyes:
Having to manually set frequencies, offsets (yes I know most radios do it automatically), operating modes, etc, creates a dizzyingly complex method of operation when all you want to do is be able to talk to the rig 1 mile ahead of you.
CB has gotten to where it is because of 2 things: Simple operation and the fact that they are so common that everybody can get one. No need to tell someone "Set your VFO to 146.46 and simplex mode" when you can just say "go to channel 6" and then talk.
It's interesting to me that Midland is now pitching GMRS to us here on ExPo. If we can get more people to adopt GMRS then I could see it as a real alternative - right now the downside of GMRS is simply that in order for it to work there has to be someone on the other end.

mikekey

Deplorable
I'm actually taking the technican on the first Sat of June. And you clearly kept missing my point, that the test questions themselves for an entry level of technician are perhaps outdated. Most this stuff I know. But really, I still believe it's a barrier to younger people who don't care to know this stuff. But should still learn the rules, regs and proper use. I mean, in theory you could get diagrams of a variable inductor on your test. Has nothing to do with being hard, has to do with, whats the point if I'm not seeking a higher license. Non-relevant. Maybe my opinion is wrong. But it's how I feel about it.

But this --->

I've said this in another thread but I'll say it again here. The comparison to HAM is not a reasonable one to make. GMRS is an EXCELLENT CB replacement, and CB is the overwhelmingly popular choice for most trail comms. Cost, ease of access, range, and packaging all play a roll in why GMRS is superior to CB. I suppose the HAM comparison keeps being drawn due to the license component but they are not comparable (or maybe it's being considered bc they want more range than CB). HAM has unique benefits that may only be understood or considered by a unique user group. GMRS is nearly as accessible as CB but is superior in pretty much every measurable way. The only "hurdle" is the fee which is nominal for pretty much anyone.

For the record I run both GMRS and CB. GMRS is plug and play (cigarette lighter power and mag antenna), my wife or I can carry a handheld for whatever when out of the vehicle (spotting or hiking), there's no antenna tuning, costs are similar, range is literally miles better, and the packaging is easier to mount. For the average person it's a much better solution.

The continued comparison to HAM is counter-productive. HAM is better in many ways. However, for the average person a test is a non-starter. You can't and won't convince them otherwise. For how little trail-comms play a role in my everyday life I can't see myself taking a test anytime soon. I'm a gadget geek so that could change at any time, but considering how busy I am every day it's unlikely that I'll ever take the test. I'm just not that interested. And I'd bet my next paycheck 99.9% of radio users fall in the same boat.

Pretty much was my first consideration before I got drawn into the Ham debate. Ham guys always want to berate people. What is up with that?

Anyhow, I snagged up a steal on ebay on a newer Kenwood unit. So yeah, guess I am going that way. But GMRS still seems like a perfectly legitimate trail comms. Especially when you consider overlap with FRS. We had people in our group of 22 who still showed up without a radio, despite it being a requirement this year. And all we had to do was point them over to Wally World to grab a FRS and they could still receive instructions while on trail.

Attachments

• techrightanswers.pdf
    147.3 KB · Views: 2

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Ham radio is about understanding radio communications

Mikey,

You're missing the whole point of ham radio operation.
It's not supposed to be "Plug and Play, beginner start here". That is not at all the design or content of ham radio (although the mfgs make it amazingly easy :)). Spend some time to look into what ham radio really is.

For someone who just needs coms, and wants it plug and play easy, there is GMRS, FRS, CB and Satellite. I'd highly recommend you go this route based on your input. You'll be much happier, and way less frustrated with setting up / maintaining your gear.

For someone who is interested in learning and exploring the hobby of long range radio communications, that is what ham is all about. It also provides a great service to our communities, in times of emergencies. This (imo) is the single biggest reason someone looking to use ham gear should be very proficient at using it.

Personally, I think each level of ham licensing should include a hands on final exam. At the Technician level it should include proper setup, programming and use of the individuals gear. That would show a level of competency that we don't currently have in the quickly expanding Technician license class.

JLee

Adventurer

Well, I've ranted about this before but IMO the real barrier to entry in the Ham world is not the test (which is pretty easy) rather, it is the complexity of most of the modern Ham radios out there. In all seriousness, if you think the TEST is hard, wait until you read the manual on a 2m or dual-band radio. It's like trying to read Sanskrit. :rolleyes:
Having to manually set frequencies, offsets (yes I know most radios do it automatically), operating modes, etc, creates a dizzyingly complex method of operation when all you want to do is be able to talk to the rig 1 mile ahead of you.
CB has gotten to where it is because of 2 things: Simple operation and the fact that they are so common that everybody can get one. No need to tell someone "Set your VFO to 146.46 and simplex mode" when you can just say "go to channel 6" and then talk.
It's interesting to me that Midland is now pitching GMRS to us here on ExPo. If we can get more people to adopt GMRS then I could see it as a real alternative - right now the downside of GMRS is simply that in order for it to work there has to be someone on the other end.

About 5 minutes on youtube will get a UV5R programmed. CHIRP is not difficult to use.

You can make CB complicated, too. Personally, I'd be annoyed if people switched over to GMRS. I don't want to pay the FCC again for something worse than what I have already. :)

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
A GMRS license allows anyone in your family to operate under the umbrella of your license. For that alone its a valuable tool for expo use.

I believe the Amateur radio rules don't allow anyone but a licensed HAM to operate an amateur band radio. Handing the mic to the wife or sending the kids out with a portable are not technically legal.

My wife has also got her ticket. HAM clubs setup demonstration tables all over the U.S. So as to build interest in the hobby. Hams, refer to handing the mic over to a non-licensed person as third party operator, followed by the stations call sign.

Kids are welcome to become lic. Ham Operators as well. It is sorta like driving a car, know the rules, understand button, frequencies, bandwidth, antenna propagation, how a signal travels which freq. operates best in mountainous versus desert terrain.

I am an always have been dyslexic at math but, I studied the test over and over till I became haunted at night. I even read several books just because I thought they were interesting how signals travel through our atmosphere. I even learned how communications signals travel through our earths rock formations. Example Submarine communications.

But, as it is folks, where else can ah common guy spend his time, a wee bit of money, so as to GAIN access to a Nationwide Mulltimillion dollar communications system?

Another reason, Civil strife. Every community that suffers major disruptions even loss of celluar some HAM dude shows up in his COMM RV, sets up a field station then others post themselves at emergency centers whalla, instant communications net. It is an opportunity to assist your community in time of need.

Digital:

The newest is GPS location tracking technology. Simular equiped radios can display grid cordinance whenever transmission occures.

I don't own such a radio but it is offered.

Next would be Satillite Communications. Don't know much about that either. But what I have seen it would be an alternative to one whom enjoys spending a goodly amount of time in the backcountry. I'm certain the wife or significant other's would appreciate such availability.

Next would be texting, television etc etc. Its a hobby like ExPo... How much yah wanna spend....

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Personally, I'd be annoyed if people switched over to GMRS. I don't want to pay the FCC again for something worse than what I have already. :)

Ditto. I'm annoyed CB is still so popular but at least I understand it because it's unlicensed. Adding yet another radio rig to my vehicle would not go over well, I'd likely refuse if it was expected or asked of me to accommodate it. Same with getting lisensed for another service.

I've met some serious redneck hams, real nice guys but not the type you'd ever mistake for a genius, if you know what I mean. If they can get their ham license, anyone here can.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Personally, I'd be annoyed if people switched over to GMRS. I don't want to pay the FCC again for something worse than what I have already. :)
I'm not shy about admitting that licensing lots of appliance operators who just didn't like CB but don't really want to be hams has had mixed results. I see this as a significant barrier to changing things again. The hams who kicked off this change (me included, enthusiastically demonstrating the benefits of VHF FM to fellow club members) should have pushed GMRS originally. And yup, I'm as unlikely to buy a GMRS radio as the next guy, too. At this point I think what's done is done. But I'm also glad that at least interest in and the numbers of hams has increased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles