Roof Rack flooring options

Wander

Expedition Leader
I need to put some flooring on my SD CT rack. I'd like something not too heavy but strong, it would also be cool if it served a dual purpose-like as a sand ladder or something. I would also be nice if it was easy to remove to avoid more wind noise when the rack is empty.

ini88

Adventurer
chicken coop flooring. light and strong as hell.

attachment.php

100_0711.jpg

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
There are some other threads around here about this topic but I don't have time this morning to find them for you. I seem to remember that the various vendors were all centered around kennel flooring which is similar to what ini88 posted above. Might try searching on those keywords.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I like the looks of that and I think it would do well in sand if needed. Looks like a trip to Agri Supply is in order.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Ditto what others are saying about the FarmTek product. Cheap easy to work with and perfect in that you can hook bungies anywhere to hold your load. Many floor options don't give you the ability to go through the floor and hook onto the rack itself for stability- poultry/kennel flooring does. Make sure you use UV stabilized HD zip ties to fasten it. IE not some Harbor Freight ones. I bought UV stablized ones online and was very happy with them. I think the entire cost for a full length 110 rack worth of material was less than $100 delivered. I got the interlocking/overlap which just means there is a flange so joints are stronger. Not going to work as a sand ladder though.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...nt-ft1_poultry_fencing_flooring;pgha2215.html

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
Is that because they just sink in the sand? I was hoping they were wide enough to distribute the load and stay "afloat". I'm guess my DI is coming in about 7K and wondering how well the XZL's will do on the beach with that might weight pushing them down and only having 7.5 inches to float on. Since they are 10 ply's deflation isn't much of an option either, but they have carried scores of Land Rovers across the Sahara right!?:smiley_drive:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Ditto what others are saying about the FarmTek product. Cheap easy to work with and perfect in that you can hook bungies anywhere to hold your load. Many floor options don't give you the ability to go through the floor and hook onto the rack itself for stability- poultry/kennel flooring does. Make sure you use UV stabilized HD zip ties to fasten it. IE not some Harbor Freight ones. I bought UV stablized ones online and was very happy with them. I think the entire cost for a full length 110 rack worth of material was less than $100 delivered. I got the interlocking/overlap which just means there is a flange so joints are stronger. Not going to work as a sand ladder though.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...nt-ft1_poultry_fencing_flooring;pgha2215.html

There's no need to get fancy and buy "UV stabilized" zip ties. Black zip ties are inherently UV stable. I highly doubt that any zip tie manufacturer is going to use anything else but carbon black in a black zip tie.

jgdisco2

Adventurer
ive got that farmtek stuff on my rack Matt, i love it. next time i get up your way ill let you check it out:sombrero:

Disco2Guy

Observer
Go with the FarmTek. I'm using it and it's been great. It's easy to cut out holes where the rack bars intersect. I cut mine after the flooring was already installed. Just use a hacksaw blade by itself and be careful not to nick the powder coating.

I would never use them as sand ladders.

h2os2

Adventurer
For a inexpensive, tough and cuts down on wind noise (especially on the SD rack) the Farmtek is great. The tensile strength 100 lb zip ties work just fine. Just an FYI about Farmtek, they send those huge catalogs alot after ordering from them, just call and cancel them. (my .02)

Wander

Expedition Leader
I thought that looked like your flooring JG, I think that is the answer. It sounds like you all get four panels and trim to fit and you can't argue with the price. it will be nice to have something to help block the sun through the one sunroof I have and keep heat down inside when it's parked.

jrose609

Explorer
I thought that looked like your flooring JG, I think that is the answer. It sounds like you all get four panels and trim to fit and you can't argue with the price. it will be nice to have something to help block the sun through the one sunroof I have and keep heat down inside when it's parked.

Matt, you have a white Disco.......that in itself ought to keep the heat down. My D1 is dark blue, and it's like a dry sauna in the Idaho sun.

I had the Farmtek when I had my SD rack. It seemed as if there was less wind noise with the flooring installed. I did like the fact you could easily strap items to the rack. Good stuff.

Wander

Expedition Leader
The less noise is good although the tall CT rack isn't too bad and when you add the hum from the XZL's it's hardly noticeable. I've heard the shorter SD racks and they are louder, I wonder why that is as you would thing the taller profile of the CT rack would be even more of a wind break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior