JP90's M416 budget off-road camper build....

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
I cant take credit for this since I do not have the welding skills but I am having a friend take care of that.

I picked up a M416 trailer a few months ago and I am finally getting around to working on it.

End goal is something along the lines of this...
P8143520-500x375.jpg

So far it has 3" of lift and I just installed a new set of 35x12.5 general grabbers. They are mounted on the same rims as my LJ so if I do manage to get a flat, the spare off the Jeep will work on the trailer as well.

Here is a general mock up of what is being done for the flares. The ones that I had on it were no where near as wide as I needed so we are making custom width flares that will be weight bearing as well as an area to the front and rear where I can eventually attach jerry cans or something along those lines.

ooo.jpg

nn.jpg

Next on the list is installing the CJ7 tailgate and starting the frame that will support the ARB tent. It is going to be a slightly more complex design than I have seen others do. The tent has to be at least 6' off the ground so that the annex room can be used. Due to the weight of the tent I wasnt all that comfortable having such a high center of gravity. For this reason the frame is going to be collapsible. It will sit at the needed 6' when set up, but for travel it will be around 4'.

Thats all for now but I will update as progress is made.

RJ40

Adventurer
Pretty sweet start! Keep us updated as you go. Really like the fender and skirt tie ins...

Cheers!

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
I stopped in and took a look at the progress he is making and I was very impressed. I am sorry about the quality of the pics since they were taken on my cell phone but this is the fenders for the most part completed )minus a few little things like tail lights) and the rack at its transport height. It raises up 2ft for when I want to set up camp and attach the ARB annex.

untitlednn.jpg

untitledll.jpg

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
With this ----->
758803-tn_az_muscles.gif

Well numerous options were considered such as springs in the supports or scissor jacks but they all really over complicated things and cost quite a bit. Since this was designed to be a budget off road camper we decided to keep things simple as possible. So its going to be raised the good ole fashion way with muscle. Smaller diameter tubing was used in the rack to keep the strength but keep the weight down as much as possible. With the tent mounted a guy on each side should still easily manage to lift the entire rack to its desired height then pin in place. I do most of my camping with my Jeep club so finding volunteers shouldnt be an issue. In the rare case that I do not have the help we are working on brackets that we could place my farm jack on to assist in the lift.

Concho

Where did you get the rear supports, I'm looking for a set like that but can only find short legged ones

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
My friend that is doing all the welding and custom work made them from scratch. If you want I could prob get you in touch with him.

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
Thanks! After seeing your build threads over on Ih8mud I appreciate the compliment but I cant really take much credit since my friend is doing all the work. I am very fortunate to have someone that has the skill set that he has as well as his attention to detail.

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
Mounted up

11.jpg

Base height

44.jpg

Full height so ARB annex can be used (Well it can safely go up another 12 inches but there really isnt a need)

666.jpg

Few fun liitle pics next to his stock M416

222.jpg

333.jpg

Pretty much its 95% complete.....just need to pretty it up a bit with paint and bed liner.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94