fuso fg for overseas expeditions

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks to group member Longhaul for bringing this to my attention!

Here's another Fuso FG built for expedition travel. The owners
are Australians Kym & Lyn Bolton.

The custom-built cabin has a pop-up roof.

80MileBeach3386520070531214717.jpg

The above photo shows the Canter has single rear tires, and
maybe some suspension lift.

When closed for travel, the cabin matches the roofline of the Canter cab.

TheDragonTree3385920070531214717.jpg

After airing down the tires to 10 psi, the vehicle fits (just barely) in a
High Top cargo container.

Kym & Lyn are in Vladivostok, trying to complete arrangements to import
the Canter into Russia. They plan to drive 13,000 km (8,000 miles) across
Russia and northern Europe this summer.

You can follow Kym and Lyn's adventures via their blog:
http://goannatracks.bigblog.com.au/index.do?ppg=1

Chip Haven

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
gosh, this is sweet! I think this combo would be my first choice for an expedition truck. I love the low profile.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
was browsing their blog...they actually have 2 of these trucks for that expedition. The other one is the newer model.

I wish we could get more details on the camper section. It seems really well done.

haven

Expedition Leader
the two trucks

Here's a photo of the two vehicles used on this expedition,
ready to be squeezed into a shipping container bound for Russia:

goanna-tracks-3a.jpg

One uses an Isuzu NPS chassis, the other a Mitsubishi Canter.
The cabins look to be similar.

Isuzu doesn't import the NPS 4x4 model to North America,
unfortunately.

Chip Haven

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I wonder why going to super singles isn't done more. If I built one that how I would want it. That would allow running some of the bigger flotation tires like the mogs. While I really love the Hackney's FG I really think the skinny front tires are going to be an issue in soft earth and they are stuck with them to keep the spares working for both ends.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely add that to my expo blog list that I watch.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I would love to get more details about the camper portion. They seem be identical, I wonder if some build them in Australia?

I'll email them.

Bob_Sheaves

Observer
Grim Reaper said:
I wonder why going to super singles isn't done more. If I built one that how I would want it. That would allow running some of the bigger flotation tires like the mogs. While I really love the Hackney's FG I really think the skinny front tires are going to be an issue in soft earth and they are stuck with them to keep the spares working for both ends.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely add that to my expo blog list that I watch.
The manner in which that "conversion" to single rear tires was done, is not exactly the proper way to perform the changeover, but it sure is cheap-only a couple of wheels.

To be properly converted would take a new rear axle, due to the loads on the rear wheels bearings relative to the load centerline of the tire. This is the same reason the M35 2.5ton and M809/939 5ton's of the US military, when converted to single rear tires, break axle shafts, grenade wheel bearings, and break hubs. It is not a question of "if" it wiil fail, it is a question of "when".

Best regards,

Bob Sheaves
CEO
catNET Incorporated
http://www.catnetsolutions.com

ADDENDUM:

Libby.jpg

Notice the difference in the wheel offset between this example and the earlier wheels. (Thanks for keeping the LMTV in such good shape Joaquin!)

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
axle failure

I think one mitigating factor in the conversion to single rear wheels on a vehicle like the Fuso FG is the reduction in weight required by the single tires. The capacity of the FG rear axle with four wheels and tires is 9,000 lbs. Switching to single rear wheels, the load should be reduced to less than 6,000 lbs, perhaps as low as 4,500 lbs to keep the tires from overloading on a steep side angle or when severely crossed-up.

With weight on the rear axle reduced like this, the stock axle and bearings will last a long time with single rear wheels.

Chip Haven

Bob_Sheaves

Observer
haven said:
I think one mitigating factor in the conversion to single rear wheels on a vehicle like the Fuso FG is the reduction in weight required by the single tires. The capacity of the FG rear axle with four wheels and tires is 9,000 lbs. Switching to single rear wheels, the load should be reduced to less than 6,000 lbs, perhaps as low as 4,500 lbs to keep the tires from overloading on a steep side angle or when severely crossed-up.

With weight on the rear axle reduced like this, the stock axle and bearings will last a long time with single rear wheels.

Chip Haven
Bending moment on the bearing pack at a 6K load factor is multiplied by the wheel offset. It will still fail, the question is still when. You do not design a vehicle with that kind of offset and expect it to live.

Been there, done that, picked up the pieces the bottom of a sand dune in Israel. :) Of course anyone is free to do as they wish-as long as they accept their responsibility, when it fails.

Best regards,

Bob Sheaves
CEO
catNET Incorporated
http://www.catnetsolutions.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz