Brisbane Camping and Caravan Show

Scott Brady

Founder
Great show in Brisbane. Found a few things that I liked too.

Brisbane Show (Full Story)

web.jpg

The travelander: Has anyone used one of these? I really see the advantage.
web.jpg

web.jpg

The EarthCruiser - we spent several days testing this truck on Fraser Island.
web.jpg

Anyone else attend the show?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Well done Scott.

I'm glad someone did a report. I did one a few years ago but last year we were far too busy working on our stand there to get around to see the rest of the show so it never happened in 2010. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/27810-Queensland-Caravan-Camping-amp-Touring-Holiday-Show-with-Motorhome-amp-Campervan-Show?highlight=queensland So anyway this year was even worse....as they say>> busier than one armed bricklayers in Baghdad....and too busy back in the factory to even attend the show as a company with a few vehicles so I thought , oh well I'll just go down on my day off and take some pics for a big post this year ..... pulled my camera out to start clicking and it died as soon as I got it out ....cracked LCD screen. So just took a big walk around with my wife and enjoyed the day.

As you've probably heard before......."shoulda bin ere last year" . The overall display area was actually decreased by 20% this year. Usually the big pavilion across the road is full of camping gear, 4x4 accessories and all the gadgets and gizmos but it was closed off this year and everything was more compacted in the main area. A couple of the campertrailer guys didn't turn up either....there was over 40 campertrailer manufacturers last year. There wasn't much that really impressed me either........I did have a good look at the Oztents . Conquerors and Kimberly Kampers are always worth a look but overall there wasn't much that was new.........Go to any boat show here now and by comparison everything is trick and exciting. The marine guys are really doing it tough at the moment so everyone's trying to out do one another. I reckon the RV / camping scene has been stagnant for far too long. Lot's of copying for sure.....as an example nearly every caravan I saw this year had a pull out BBQ in the front left corner........and every caravan I saw had an opening window directly above the BBQ to draw in lots of cooking fumes back inside the van and all over the window and upholstery. How dumb? Every one just copied the next guy without thinking about a solution or probably even realizing there was a problem.

Well that's my dummy spit.

Thanks Scott for posting.

Regards John.

PS will try to catch you up before you head off if you have time.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I hope to be able to meet up. If not, my next trip, when I plan to punch north into Cape York and say hello to the salties.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Scott,

I hope to be able to meet up. If not, my next trip, when I plan to punch north into Cape York and say hello to the salties

Sounds great......would love to hear about about your Cape York trip plans (2 wheels or 4 ?).......the family were all early pioneers up there about a 100 years back but my young cousins that still live up there on the farm (at Daintree) know the place like the back of their hand. Anyway I'm sure you've heard of a million publicized hotspots that most guys tick off the to do list............... Princess Charlotte Bay mmmmmmmmmmm....but the place is just so wild when you get off the track and definitely have respect for crocs......some big animals you never whether they are just being curious or not but you always know where you stand with a croc......you KNOW they want to eat you.

BTW If you see oneleg Lance around, ask him for a lend of the DVD that I sent him a couple of months back.... am sure it had some really good footage of the Cape......."the Gall Boys" do some crazy vids up there but towing Kedron caravans. (if you are trying to do some research).

Regards John.

Last edited:
I noted that the Travelander was going for $34,000+ AUD (I think the more expensive version was even HIGHER), and the Origami going for $80,000 AUD. It is ridiculous. That's more than 3 used Honda CR-Vs combined! However, consider that inflation is massive there in some ways... Was any of the stuff affordable by the common wage earner busing tables

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business...e-as-high-as-5pc/story-e6frg2qc-1226082497411

I really feel for you guys, since that's even worse than what we're going through at the store. It says on there that the average family's food bill could get pushed to $200 per WEEK! Now, I'm only one person, but my food bill is around $175-200 PER MONTH. At least here, grocery bills barely creep up (goes up quite a bit faster depending on the food you eat and where).

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Scott,

heres a similar setup someone sent me pics offthe other day on a landcruiser ute...very great looking setup in my opinion.

23042011199.jpg

You can see itis locked onto the tray sides with latches and can be fuklly easily removed.

apsilon

Observer
I noted that the Travelander was going for $34,000+ AUD (I think the more expensive version was even HIGHER), and the Origami going for $80,000 AUD. It is ridiculous. That's more than 3 used Honda CR-Vs combined! However, consider that inflation is massive there in some ways... Was any of the stuff affordable by the common wage earner busing tables

We have a huge selection of campers to choose from and they range from around AUD$5k to over $100k so there's generally something for anyone though it may not be exactly what they'd want if price was no object. The trailer I just got was around $55k for example and is the higher end of the market (depsite the range most fall under $30k). Now, I earn decent money and I'm not married and don't have kids so I'm probably not an example of the average consumer.

You're right in that we do pay too much for basically everything which is why for years I've bought almost everything but fresh food and motor vehicles from overseas. We can't really compare directly as I believe the average pay here is higher than the US which helps to offset it but there's still no excuse the often exorbitant prices we're asked to pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne