garmin compatible Mac solutions and USAPhotoMaps

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Looking for a garmin compatible mapping solution for my MacBook. Any help?

Also, have any of you used USAPhotoMaps? I like the idea of being able to store them on my machine, and to overlay maps and sat photos.

Mike

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I just set up my Macbook pro to work with my etrex. If you have a newer etrex with the USB connection, NG TOPO! works easily. I have an older etrex Legend with a serial cable so I had to use a USB adapter. I tried 3 different ones before I thought to use the awesome interweb to find out which one works. Turns out, the Keyspan adapter is pretty much the only one that works with OS X version 10+.

TOPO! runs quite a bit slower on my Mac than my PC though. I might just need to fiddle with some settings.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
BogusBlake said:
I have an older etrex Legend with a serial cable so I had to use a USB adapter. I tried 3 different ones before I thought to use the awesome interweb to find out which one works. Turns out, the Keyspan adapter is pretty much the only one that works with OS X version 10+.

which keyspan adapter is it?

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
jeffryscott said:
which keyspan adapter is it?

It's the serial (RS232) to USB converter. I don't know the part number- I pitched the package. I got it at CompUSA.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
19-hs is the one to get, though I have been told any of the high speed ones will work with current firmware. I'll let you know, cause I'm having trouble with mine, an older 19-QW.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
This is no real help Mike... but I am still just waiting for the elegant solution.

Hard to believe we're not there yet. :chowtime:

:::

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Guess I COULD run the Garmin Windows stuff in Windows under the Parallel virtual machine, or use BootCamp. Not an elegant solution, though...

Mike

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Alvaro has it wired. He uses Parallel/Windows on one box - controlled by his Mac to upload to the Garmin - give him a shout when he gets back from the Rubicon trip.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
This past weekend I ran up to the White Mtns, using my Garmin GPSMap 60 CS connected via USB to my PowerBook G4, using MacGPS Pro.

It worked great! How amazing to see my position with so much greater detailed maps! All the way down to 1:24K. The maps auto-open as you pass from one map to another.

The downside is that anytime I turn off the engine, there is a brief power loss to the GPS as it switches from power adapter to internal batteries. This causes a loss of signal to the PowerBook. To re-establish a link you have to turn off the GPS, then on again.

I'll probably rig a different power source so it is not interrupted in the future.

Now I also have to come up with a better laptop mounting option. I just made a quickie table unit to sit in the passenger seat.

Very cool deal! :victory:

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fjfjfjfj