AmboVan Restarted

hobietony

Explorer
The world is my holding tank, direct exit of the sink water to the outside.
-
Facing backwards so air doesn't get forced up into the rig while moving. Some interference with the airbag mount, but I think I will be fine. Tube is pretty thick vinyl, I'm alright with considering this a wear part.
m_DSCN0079_zps46761e26.jpg

m_DSCN0078_zps66fefe5c.jpg

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
If you have problems with smells coming from your waste holding tank,make your own deep P traps so the water can't run out while driving.

Ditto on the P trap.

Again nice workmanship!

Here' a little mod I recently did on our rig.
My wife needs shampoo hair every day, so fitted a valve to sink P trap that drains to either ground or holding tank.
1098303_10201770906658950_350576301_n.jpg

r_w

Adventurer
If you make a P trap, make it from rubber pipe so it is freeze-proof. Not something you normally need to think about in your environ, but you would be surprised how fast a trap will freeze when open to the outside like that even in a heated compartment.

You also can put in a ball valve it you want to make sure no rodents decide to crawl in while in storage.

Or an air cleaner dust ejector: http://www.steinertractor.com/ABC1765-dust-unloader-valve-vacuator-valve-for-dry-air-cleaners

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you don't want air or rodents coming back in you could make a version of a kazoo valve. A bit of flat hose on the end of your drain that is supple enough to let water out with the head pressure from your sink but closes fairly tightly.

Sometimes know as a duckbill drain. You may also see them on the separators of big rig air filtration systems.

tcdent

Got some suggestions from Bevan (Oxrockrat) on how to hook this up thermostatically, need to dig into it a bit more. In the meantime, it is powered when the house panel is on, and can be switched off manually. Need a bit more follow up work here, but enough to see if one fan is good enough

You can get computer fans with variable speed temperature sensors for pretty cheap. I've used ones from Thermaltake for years with good result.

hobietony

Explorer
Zippie - Went back through your build thread, picked up a few more ideas on incorporating finishes, especially the return air grilles and frames. Clever work on the P-trap, although I think for this use the stopper in the sink should be OK to prevent air from flowing back.
Oz/rw - Rodents? Now I have to worry about rodents? Crap, I'll have to think about that...
-
So, with the inverter compartment fan hooked up, it is audible in the cabin, but only just. After a call to Bevan to tap his electro genius-ness, he sent me some links to a super-deluxe fan controller unit, and a thermostatically regulated computer fan - checked them out, the controller was a bit beyond my needs, and the thermo-fan, while cool, was less than 30 CFM. Bevan, please don't see me as ungrateful - Checked out the local electronic store, and found this:
m_DSCN0084_zps51cc3e57.jpg

-
An inline thermostatic switch that senses the temp of the substrate it is attached to, it (allegedly) completes the circuit at 100*. 7 bucks, why not?
-
Got it hooked up, my temp sensor said the substrate was like 90*, came on anyway - I guess we will see, probably better to be on more than required rather than less
m_DSCN0088_zps5ee8cd89.jpg

-
Had one fitting on the water system install that I was a little uncomfortable with, was on my 'loose ends' list to replace soon, woke up this morning to find the fitting cracked and water coming out the bottom of the rig. Well, it is off the list now...
-
Working on the heater install -
-
Like many of the items on the van, the instructions on the Propex heater did not suggest the way I did it as the suggested install method. The combustion intake and exhaust were shown to exit out the bottom of the vehicle, but the spot available was right over the wheelwell. So, built a stand and routed the exhaust/intake to meet (at least) the suggested clearances.
-
Porta-potti in the space on the right, I'll carve out some storage from the space on the left when the ducting and gas line are run
m_DSCN0089_zps445abc88.jpg

m_DSCN0095_zpsec56a02b.jpg

-
Exhaust routing, built some stands to keep the hose from moving around, and keep my clearances.
m_DSCN0090_zpsd5440df0.jpg

-
Intake routing and unit support
m_DSCN0091_zpsc55f15fa.jpg

m_DSCN0093_zpsd1ac1f41.jpg

-
Mondays are like this, I spend the morning running around getting materials that I think will last me through the week, and I still need to make two more trips to the hardware store to make some progress on what I manage to get started on the afternoon. Work progresses anyway...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looking great... really digging the heater setup. I was looking at these for the tent for winter camping (overkill) but hey, it gets COLD in the winters up here. Zodi came out with a new tent heater, so that is where I am going. Install looks super clean and love the custom mounts and exhaust stand off's.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Tony, I've been looking for a source without success, for your heater's inlet and exhaust SS tubing.
Got a link handy?

Damn can't help myself. FWIW the heater is mounted directly on floor so no exhaust tubing is inside the Rig.
(Smiley face crap with gas mask)

hobietony

Explorer
I like it that this place is active enough that 4 days drops my thread off the front page.
-
So what have I done since monkeying around with an exhaust fan?
-
Sealed up the exterior penetrations of the combustion and exhaust for the heater... Used black silicone high-temp RTV gasket maker/sealant.
Inside.
m_DSCN0089_zps445abc88.jpg

Outside.
DSCN0097_zps9d2e837d.jpg

Done.
m_DSCN0125_zps7464ed47.jpg

-
Cut in and hooked up the vent fan, a FantasticFan salvaged from the MinnieWinnie.
m_DSCN0113_zps8666ed5e.jpg

-
Added some aluminum channel to make a wire chase on either side of the center "rib" down the ceiling - Taking it in to get the top carpeting installed tomorrow, did a little sanding and other prep work for that.
m_DSCN0115_zpsb58f7cca.jpg

-
Pretty big step, got the kitchen box mounted, it is like 150#, so needed a pretty stout backing plate, used 1/4" aluminum plate.
Kitchen box - I'll need to take a pic with the door down, pretty cool, but here is the link from the Campa website -
http://www.campausa.com/#!kitchen/c255n.
m_DSCN0123_zps76813099.jpg

m_DSCN0099_zpsfe988d09.jpg

m_DSCN0098_zpsda3195cf.jpg

m_DSCN0105_zps8197b134.jpg

m_DSCN0107_zps0b668818.jpg

Top right corner is removable to access the wiring chase behind. Had the box on, then off, no pic with the box in place, but it goes in like buttah.
-
Lining more interior cabinet space.
m_DSCN0110_zpsfbb3485e.jpg

-
Finished the ski storage bin -
Access from the back.
m_DSCN0130_zps6483cfcb.jpg

Extends under the sink, those bars across the top are for ski poles.
m_DSCN0117_zps1b5c73ca.jpg

A door to access the space from inside when not carrying skis.
m_DSCN0111_zps98f9e37c.jpg

I though about lining the box with truck bed liner, but after talking with folks in the HD paint department, this seemed like a great solution - A thick, waterproof, acrylic, encapsulating paint/coating, designed for decks and exterior applications, seems like it will be sturdy enough to drag skis across.
m_DSCN0119_zpsacc86b7b.jpg

Stainless corner guard left over from a previous job used as edge protection. All exposed flooring edges will receive this treatment.
m_DSCN0118_zpsfeda3f84.jpg

-
Finally, as of last Friday, as blessed by the AZMVD, I now own a MOTORHOME, NOT A COMMERCIAL VAN. Put all the required systems in the van, luckily they were happy to note the presence of the heater/stove/fridge, and didn't ask me to actually turn it on. Funny, while the MVD guy was inspecting the rig, everybody else waiting to get a vehicle inspection decided to inspect the rig as well - It was a bit of a show, but I think it helped with keeping the inspector happy to be part of the scene. Might actually be able to get some proper insurance coverage now.
-
More later...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice progress... that kitchen is pretty awesome, I like it and wish I had the ability to somehow use one...somewhere?? Ski locker is pretty slick too, good use of space. That acrylic coating is probably better as the bed liner can have a bit of an odor and acrylic doesn't, or at least not for long.

I see a former ambulance sitting outside of the parking lot I park at for work. Every time I see it I think of this build. Hmmm......

:)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I am continually impressed by your skill and ingenuity! BTW, your notes to yourself in the background throughout this thread crack me up.

Sponge

Adventurer
Hobietony- Can you please tell us what you do or did to have the time/experience to tackle a project like this. It looks good BTW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94