XJ Cargo area build up

Steve F

Adventurer
With a trip to Cape York (Most Northern tip of Australia and around 4500km from home) in Septemeber I decided redo the storage in the XJ. The main reason was I wanted a cargo barrier as my 2 year old daughter will be coming along and secondly just to tidy things up.

First I mounted up a cargo barrier I had from a Magna wagon, it was given to me years ago and I'd been meaning to fit it for ages as its a good fit. At the same time I made a 15mm thick ply floor as the base for the rear draws and for the fridge slide to attach to. This will get bolted down when I'm done.

IMG_4955.jpg

Next I made some sides, supports for the top and cut the top section. Again all 15mm, it's external hardwood ply with a BB finish (Ply is rated A best to D worst quality wise, BB means both sides of the ply are a B finish), very strong and nice and smooth.

IMG_4978.jpg

I decided to go with one deep draw, two draws is nice bt they wont be that deep and that would also mean more weight, cost and less useable space. The draw itself will have slots for dividers in it that will be removable and repositionable for the best packing of whatever I take.

I also had the passenger side upright moved away from the wheel arch a little so that area was a bit bigger and can be used, it's a bit small otherwise and not very practical. The top will have a removable lid for access to it.

IMG_4980.jpg

Tools, oil, recovery gear will fit in here with the little extra space I left.

IMG_4981.jpg

Due to the slope of the rear seat there is an odd angle at the back of the draw, rather than just loose that space I will extend the draw base to the cargo barrier and mount the compressor and first aid kit back there, they will slide out when the draw is pulled out but will be outside the rear of the draw if that makes sense. I'll also run power back there for the compressor and possible an invertor if needed.

With the base off the compressor it just fits in the angled section behind the draw.

IMG_4983.jpg

Since the draw has to be raised up a little to clear the rear plastic surround around the hatch striker I'm going to use the space to slide in a thin table top, this will pull out and mount on top of the draw when it is out to make a table, I'll embed some rare earth magnets in it and the top of the draw sides so when it sits on the draw it wont slip off. I'll also use them to attach it to the floor for travelling.

Anyway, hope that all makes sense. More pics when I have the draw sorted.

Cheers
Steve

stomperxj

Explorer
Looks great Steve. I'll be watching this one as I have been thinking about some kind of unit for my XJ too...

Steve F

Adventurer
Did some more, I decided not to mount the compressor at the back of the drawer, too hard to get too and it ate into the drawer space. I'll mount it next to the fridge or possibly behind it.

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4996.jpg

I sloped the rear of the draw instead to get as much drawer space as possible.

IMG_5000.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Steve F

Adventurer
All glued and screwed together now, I also made the drawer face as well. The last thing to do is put a support across the back to stop the whole thing racking over, unlikely but better to be safe :) Then carpet tomorrow after a bit of epoxy on a couple of the joints to fill a gap or two ;) Also need to put on a handle, latches and some tiedown track that I have for the top.

IMG_5006.jpg

I think I'll mount a torch on the back of the drawer front that extends over the side and possibly some other small often used items.

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

And to get some overall perspective on size.

IMG_5014.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Adventurer
Carpeted, the exposed wood at the front will be lacquered for a bit of colour :)

I need to install the locking bolt I have and the tiedowns on the top but I'm done for today.

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

Cheers
Steve

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Being a hardcore XJ dude....that's one of the nicest storage units I have seen. I really like the sloped rear part of the drawer. Sweet setup.:coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Steve F

Adventurer
Mounted the lock and tiedown track (after I gave it a clean up)

IMG_5044.jpg

Still need to line the drawer, looking at some thin rubber

IMG_5045.jpg

Also test fitted the compressor, it fits behind the fridge, just, it'll be an easier fit once the sand tray comes off as that will drop it down a little and let it go further back. Tonight I'll pull it apart around the switch and see if I can rotate the hose output so it points up, should be able to. I'll also wire in a remote switch and then mount it and hardwire it into the power I've run to the back for the fridge. I'll also mount a short hose to the rear of the jeep that terminates at a quick connect below the tail light.

IMG_5047.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Adventurer
Had some nice ply and hardwood in the garage so made a small table top. There is room under the drawer to the passenger side as it is raised to allow it to clear the plastic around the tailgate latch. I decided to use this space to fit a table top for the drawer. Anyway.

The top, has a hardwood raised edge on it and will be lacquered etc.

IMG_5096.jpg

Made it half the drawer length so it can be slid back and forth to allow access to the drawer, it's also high enough to stop the drawer closing with it on and knocking everything off :)

IMG_5097.jpg

Stores nicely under the drawer, just need to put a stop under there so it cant slide back too far. Quite easy to get out as well. Just trying to efficiently use as much space as possible.

IMG_5095.jpg

Also have the compressor all plumbed in works great and very convenient. You can see the blue air outlet in this pic.

IMG_5084.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz