Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build...'BIG NAMBE'

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Glamper shell...errrr 'Camper shell' I mean...

Well, things are not as they seem...I went back to the 'factory' store for ATC shells, and found out that the shell will not be available for quite some time. Also, the price seems to go up every time I talk them...:mad:

Moving on...I found another dealer that sells both the ATC and Snugtop lines. It looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a Snugtop SnugPro series. I chose this shell for the following reasons:

1) Commercial grade shell altogether with a 500 lbs roof rack capacity. I will have them put on Yakima tracks for the time being ~ only ones available. Then I will change that up later on.

2) Only shell that has a fiberglass side doors as an option instead of 'windoors' ~ more security. Comes with a T-handle 3 point locking system. Each tool box has a 100 lbs capacity.

3) All upgrades will be done at cost! :wings:

4) This shell is $800 less here...:ylsmoke:

5) The quality of the Snugtop is markedly better than the other brands that I was looking at...Leer, ARE, ATC, Unicover...

As usual, I was not able to find any pics of Tundras with this kind of shell...Closest pics I could find was a Taco...

IMGP4029.jpg

IMGP4084.jpg

IMGP4035.jpg

I have since upgraded my mirrors to tow mirrors. They are the bomb. So solid doors on the sides will no longer be an issue. Eventually, I will add the Frontrunner rack overhead and slap an awning on it as well...I'm going to go see one of these in person in a couple of weeks. If I like it, it will be ordered.

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i can't wait to see what your shell ends up looking like. i too have been hunting around. i was looking at the LEER's and the guy wanted a little over 2 grand for the shell out the door. i can see the reasoning but jeeze is that a lot of money for some fiberglass and paint.

thanks for pointing me to snug tops, they're super sport model looks pretty good but i donna how i feel about their XTR's with the built in rack. looks off to me.

keep it up!

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
*Snip* i too have been hunting around. i was looking at the LEER's and the guy wanted a little over 2 grand for the shell out the door. *Snip*

This is about the price for the upgraded SnugPro shell...The other Snugtop dealer wanted north of $2800...:Wow1:

Good luck!

Regards,

BWJ

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
This is about the price for the upgraded SnugPro shell...The other Snugtop dealer wanted north of $2800...:Wow1:

Good luck!

Regards,

BWJ

Wow, that is some coin.

I've always been an open pickup bed guy but sometimes think of getting a shell, and the commercial-style Snugtop you are looking at looks interesting.

But for around $3k I think I could get one of these nice metal tops which are made locally here in Reno.

http://www.caravancamper.com/

Poor website, they are heavy, but very strong and well regarded.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Snugtop here I come...

All,

I took a look at a SnugTop SnugPro this afternoon. It is solid in construction and very clean in its assembly from the factory. Needless to say, I ordered it. It will be configured with the following goodies:

1) Yakima track system on roof - weight capacity of the roof will be 500 lbs
2) Solid fiberglass doors on the sides with T locking handles
3) interior carpet
4) Sliding window
5) recessed locking t-handle with framed glass door.

I chose not to go with the two side tool boxes...I think I can do better.

I'm going to a cabinet shop to get some rack / tool holder / Molle bag thinga-ma-jiggy drawn up.

Regards,

BWJ

Lift kit will be ordered. TRD wheels are ready to go. 33's going on soon. Big Nambe coming together...

Last edited:

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
All,

I took a look at a SnugTop SnugPro this afternoon. It is solid in construction and very clean in its assembly from the factory. Needless to say, I ordered it.

I wish I had your patience! I look forward to seeing the final product. What are you planning on storing in the bed since you have rooftop tent? Do you have a thread re: your trailer?

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I wish I had your patience! I look forward to seeing the final product. What are you planning on storing in the bed since you have rooftop tent? Do you have a thread re: your trailer?

I plan on storing tools, 2nd battery, air compressor with tank, perhaps on board water / heating tank with shower. Going to get an Armorology rear bumper with tire carrier so the spare will be moved ~ the air tank / water tank in that space possibly. I am loving having my trailer. It really opens things up in the truck. I don't need a RTT / Fridge / Shelves in my DD.

2011-09-04_19-10-02_21.jpg

2011-09-04_19-10-21_248.jpg

Here is my trailer build thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...er-Trailer-Sherpa-II-project...Dial-up-beware!

By the way, Dave are you headed to the CO rally in October? I'll be there so you can see 'Big Nambe' in person. I just talked to Robert Shepherd (Outlander Trailer) he is going to be there too...:smiley_drive:

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

camdz

Nice meeting you tonight. I just checked out your trailer build thread, and you definitely have good taste. Looking forward to this beast of a Tundra you are building too. Ive never been a fan of shells on pickups but from the pics you have posted, I think its going to look really good (and obviously functional).

I forgot to ask you earlier, what did you do for a coating on the Stubbs sliders? Paint? Ameriguard?

Justin

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Ameraguard of Lees Summit...

Justin,

Great to meet you too...You have a PM.

One tip on the Stubbs HDSKO sliders, I had Dan coat these 'below' the scab plates on the sliders. I would have him coat the sliders as close to the scab plates as possible.

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

I found that the bare area was getting surface rust quite a bit.

Enjoy your 4runner, and have a safe trip! your tires will be at NTB on Monday!

Regards,

BWJ

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Toytec Ultimate lift and 33" Nittos are on...

All,

I just completed installing my lift kit yesterday. I chose the Toytec Ultimate due to the better corrosion resistance of the finish. Also, I had very good luck with Bilstein's products / performance (Sonoran Steel System 1.2). Now I could have pieced the lift out 'a la carte', but I found it all in the Toytec Ultimate lift system. Another change that I went with is a deaver add-a-leaf instead of the 1" block for the rear. I figure with my SnugPro shell, tools and gear, I should have enough constant load for the leafs.

I won't bore you all with pics of the lift, rather, I'll post up some before and after (for now) pics. I'll post final pics of the 33s after my alignment on Saturday.

BEFORE:

IMG_0880.jpg

AFTER:

300126523_photobucket_4699_.jpg

BEFORE:

IMG_0884.jpg

AFTER:

300126523_photobucket_4703_.jpg

BEFORE:

IMG_0882.jpg

AFTER:

300126523_photobucket_4706_.jpg

So far, the ride of the Tundra is firm but supple at the same time. I'll wheel it this weekend after my alignment and get back with you all.

Snugtop topper coming in next week. :wings:

Regards,

BWJ

D

Deleted member 9101

Man, those wheels and tires really make the truck look better!!

MtbNut

315 70 17

It sounds like you already have your tires. However, if you like BFG AT's... 315 70 17's fit great on the TRD wheels and fill the wheel well up nicely on the new Tundras. The TRD Tundra that Toyota had pulling a fifth wheel on tour had that set up and it looked great.

I am sure the 295's will do the trick too. The trailer is not going to look tougher than the truck anymore. Have fun with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior