Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build...'BIG NAMBE'

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
285/70r17

Here are my 285/70R17 tires on the Tundra TRD wheels. The truck is stock in these pictures.

FCIIIMG_3800.jpg

stock2IMG_3816.jpg

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Very nice!...

Red,

Lovin' the DCepek F-C tread...

By the way, what are you going to do for sliders? Stubbs is still in the development stages right now...:mad: Found a set of new N-fab steps for cheap on Craig's list, however, after I saw the installation video :Wow1:, I'm going rocksliders all the way...

Working on a Custom Contractor grade shell for mine with Aluminum side boxes and maybe a Frontrunner rack system above the shell...I'll keep you guys posted...

Great looking truck by the way!

Regards,

BWJ

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Nice Ford...

i have a Super Crew F150 that im (very) slowly moving towards expo with...like to troll the toyota forum for...inspiration considering the domestic forum is nothing but 20 year old trucks outfitted with plywood accessories to go hunting with. not my taste :D

DSC_0067.jpg

You Sir, have a GREAT platform to build upon...If I did not have a family friend that was a Toyota mechanic, my second choice was the big blue oval...

Here is an inspirational Ford for you as well as the rest of us...

MotorZtruckblog7.jpg

Great minds think alike no matter what the brand.

Regards,

BWJ

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Answering Questions

Lots of Ford love here, if I had not purchased my Tundra I was going to get a new Fx4 F150.

I want(ed?) Bud Built slider/steps, but they only offer weld-on, and I don't want to weld on my new truck. BB might be working on some bolt-on in the future, I can wait. After the lift, I'm not sure I need the sliders, not immediately anyway. I'll either wait for what I want to be designed and produced, or have custom sliders made.

You asked for side pics of my tires in my suspension research thread, here seems just as good as there. The tires are the stock size for my Rock Warrior package truck, 285/70R17. I really like the ******** Cepek Fun-Country II tread.

Front

FCII17FrontstockIMG_3786.jpg

Rear

FCII17rearstockIMG_3808.jpg

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Shell ponderings...

All,

I have been mulling around on various shells for the rig. Due to the shorter box dimension of the CrewMax, I am trying to utilize the shell as efficiently as possible.
Cab high or higher? - I have decided to go with the cab high at this point. I have had a Leer crown series about 20 years ago on my first P/U, and I really liked it. Some say that it will look like a Sequioa, but you tell me if it does after the build is complete :Wow1:...

Here are some pics of some offerings that I was looking into available for the Crewmax configuration.

d83d1cecbb08dc045160fdd98df59e0d_7870.jpg

i-7gfKCr4-S.jpg

I am also going to go with side tool boxes instead of a custom drawer system. Here I will be able to store tools, winching supplies, etc…I am going to try to get the interior of these boxes sprayed with black Ameraguard bedliner.

1a1aToolTransTT18.jpg

Toolmasterpic.jpg

I am not a fan of the Windoor option. Instead, I am considering a fiberglass door painted black to give it the look of a window. The inside of the shell / tool boxes will look like this. I don't think that these boxes will be too restrictive in terms of visibility. I don't think that this space will be missed considering my needs for cargo space with the Sherpa II...

1a1aToolTransTT19.jpg

My vision is to incorporate a rack system for the shell. My needs for a rack system would be one that is low profile, strong, and modular. Several options for racks are available. I did have a Bajarack on my 4runner and really liked the utility of it. I'm looking into their more 'flat' style racks as compared to the mule style that I had. I am looking to mount at least an awning, Fiskars shovel, etc...

IMG_2856.jpg

Another possible option is the Front Runner rack system. Props to TomesD for these pics ~ Albeit his rig is a Taco DC short bed. I have a PM out to him about the specifics of his solution. Thanks TomesD! I am intrigued with this option, and I have already been on the phone with Paul May at Equipt inquiring on this rack system...

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Anyways, stay cool out there and have a great day!

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
Cab high definitely, never like the ones that step up higher. Side tool boxes are great too, I love mine although mine is a metal top. I think Fiberglass tops look much nicer and smoother.

66546_646003272813_71201345_37105717_6150755_n.jpg

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Cab high definitely, never like the ones that step up higher. Side tool boxes are great too, I love mine although mine is a metal top. I think Fiberglass tops look much nicer and smoother.

66546_646003272813_71201345_37105717_6150755_n.jpg

Great minds think alike! Tundra + Shell + Rack + side tool boxes...I am really liking where I am going with this build...I am dealing with the factory store for ATC / Astro shells. They 'were' headquartered in Garnett, KS until their manufacturing plant burned down...They are about to re-open in Ottawa, KS and the deals are gonna be there in August...As it sits an Astro fiberglass shell with two side boxes / painted to match + installation = $1600. After August $1300...Leer / ARE / Snug top are all over $2,000...

Thanks for your insight. By the way, do you find that you are missing the visibility from the two tool boxes?

Regards,

BWJ

Petrolburner

Explorer
If you adjust your side mirrors so that when you lean your head left/right, you can just barely see the left/right edge of the truck, then you basically eliminate your blind spots. I put dirtbikes in the back of my truck often so the topper just sits along the side of my garage now. I did notice about 1 mpg difference due to the weight and drag from the rack. The side tool boxes were much more convenient than having a plastic crate in my back seat for my recovery gear though. And also better than the aluminum toolbox I once had mounted along the front of the bed.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Great project to date Doc.....

sad to see the 4R go though.

How about a bed slide built out to accomodate several needs? Camping or home projects, they can be set up to change out quickly. my thoughts on the side toolboxs are they are handy, but you sacrifice interior room, and on a smaller box truck, that can equate into a lot.

just thinking out loud.....and you've got a keen eye for detail so I'm sure it'll come out nice no matter what is used, looking good so far :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Great project to date Doc.....

sad to see the 4R go though.

How about a bed slide built out to accomodate several needs? Camping or home projects, they can be set up to change out quickly. my thoughts on the side toolboxs are they are handy, but you sacrifice interior room, and on a smaller box truck, that can equate into a lot.

just thinking out loud.....and you've got a keen eye for detail sure I'm sure it'll come out nice no matter what is used, looking good so far :smiley_drive:

Titan,

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it. My cargo issues are less now that I have the Sherpa II trailer. The Tundra has much more room even with the tool boxes in the shell. The bed slide seems to be a nice idea, I really have not considered it. I'll look into it though! :26_7_2:

Regards,

BWJ

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
new tires yet?

I just reread your thread to see if I had missed your tire upgrade because you have 295s listed in your signature?

Have you already decided on which 295 tire?

Did you already buy them?

If so, pictures? :)

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I just reread your thread to see if I had missed your tire upgrade because you have 295s listed in your signature?

Have you already decided on which 295 tire?

Did you already buy them?

If so, pictures? :)

Red,

No, not yet...I'm waiting for my tax refund from last year...Then I'm going with OME lift, 295s, and shell...

Pics will be posted most definately when it gets done!

Regards,

BWJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles