03 Tundra helton heater install

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Not a problem that is what this site is for the more we share the more we learn.
I have to say this is one of the cleanest installs I have seen. Before this thread I did not know Helton offered different configurations for their heat exchangers. Being a craftsman having to pipe in all the connections to one side of the exchanger really turned me off. Since they offer different configurations a clean more professional install can be achieved. I just emailed Kurt to see if they had the one I needed. Thanks for posting your work.

rb70383

Observer
I like the install. Good ideas for me to borrow :). About running the water hoses, would hard line be ok or is the hose fine? Not to sure about 15ish feet of rubber hose. Also does it hurt the helton to run dry? Like just coolant but no water? I won't have my water tanks filled all the time. Also along the same lines, if your not running water through it, would it be better to take it out of the coolant loop? Sorry for the hijack.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I keep mine dry I blow it out with air it keeps it clean and prevents any thing from forming in the lines. As far as taking it out of the loop I just keep my heater valve closed so water really does not run into it, but I do open it up once in a while so the coolent is fresh, it also goes into the cabin heater. If you look at the right side you will see my heater control valve comming out of the block so the water is nice and hot when open. The hoses are just regular air lines from home depot nothing fancy there and they serve my needs. Now the black hose is factory from the block to the helton and out the other side, I just cut out a section for the helton so I retain the factory bends in the hose.

Last edited:

rb70383

Observer
Thanks. Been thinking about doing a the on board hot water, and am debating if its better to run the coolant to the back of the fresh water to the front. Thinking the latter. Was also debating if having the helton always in the loop even when not it, like when the truck is back to daily driver status. Thanks again. Every little bit of info helps. :)

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Helton stays in the loop I just keep the heater valve closed when not in use I would leave the coolent lines intact and just run the hot water from the exchanger to the rear.
Thanks. Been thinking about doing a the on board hot water, and am debating if its better to run the coolant to the back of the fresh water to the front. Thinking the latter. Was also debating if having the helton always in the loop even when not it, like when the truck is back to daily driver status. Thanks again. Every little bit of info helps. :)

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
As far as hard lines I would stay with something flexable, washboards roads I would think could mess up solder joints. Just my thoughts.
I like the install. Good ideas for me to borrow :). About running the water hoses, would hard line be ok or is the hose fine? Not to sure about 15ish feet of rubber hose. Also does it hurt the helton to run dry? Like just coolant but no water? I won't have my water tanks filled all the time. Also along the same lines, if your not running water through it, would it be better to take it out of the coolant loop? Sorry for the hijack.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
Hey look I'm bringing a thread back from the dead

I'm doing this project using
http://www.brazetek.com/products/de...t-exchangers/20-plate-brazed-heat-exchanger-1

(BrazeTek 4X12" 20 plate heat exchanger)
because overkill is better than cold tets in the shower. :p
I'm doing this project on my '13 tacoma - can anyone gimme guidance on which hose is hot on either my heater core or going into my radiator? And a source where to get a mixing / anti scald manifold for the hot/ cold water?

My plan is to put the pump in the bedside near tailgate, split the output to the "Cold" side of the manifold, and the heat exchange. the input will be a long hose I can back up to the lake and throw out - no on board tanks at all planned.
Thanks for the help! saw this thread linked across a couple different forums.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
e3e5ejag.jpg

Well from info gathered off this thread and several others, I went with a plate heat exchange from dudadiesel.com

And it works incredibly well! So excited about this thing!

The goal here is to build your rig stronger than you are stupid.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Well long term report. Helton is working fine, system has been upgrade with a 13Gal water tank in the bed of the truck I got the idea from TheJosh. I love having hot water to shower with at will. The quick fist mounts are doing their job just fine and still new the day I put them in. I can even run lines to the trailer and heat up that water too for dishes ect.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Update report, I switch over to all SS quick disconnects HP fittings. This way when I unhook both ends seal with no leakage. System works great and having the 13gl tank in the bed of the truck is great. I fill just before camping and heat it just before the camp site, I even wrapped the tank in a thermo blanket just to help it retain heat.

aaen

Adventurer
I so need to do this for my 2010 tundra.

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
SS quick disconnects

I like these because everything is stainless steel even the spring inside the fittings. I got them from a carpet cleaning supply company on the Ebay.

Attachments

• DSC03437.JPG
    DSC03437.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC03438.JPG
    DSC03438.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC03439.JPG
    DSC03439.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC03440.JPG
    DSC03440.JPG