03 Tundra helton heater install

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Well after 2.5 weeks off my feet from knee surgery it was time to install the heat exchange I recevied from Cruiser out fitters,Thanks Kurt. I went with 2 3" quickfists bolted to the fire wall,these things are there to stay. I had to cut the quick fist so it would be lower and not interfear with my hood closing. You can see the notch. The quickfists give some vibration protection and a cushion from wash board roads. The plan is to plum this inline with a Danfoss thermomixing valve so water temp is at a constant temp. I have not run the water line as of yet, I want to run to both ends of the tundra so I do not have to unhook the trailer where my water supply is. Also so I can pull water from other sources front or back. This is just the exchanger install for now and this thing cooks! Note I installed it right after the heater valve so I my control water temp better.

Attachments

• DSC02489.JPG
    DSC02489.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC02490.JPG
    DSC02490.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC02491.JPG
    DSC02491.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 433

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very cool use of the Quick-Fists for mounting, I'd love to hear some long term feedback from you. I too like the idea of some vibration damening, the clamps I offer are rubber insulated. While I've not heard of a Helton unit failing from vibration, I have seen first hand a plate style exchanger cracking between layers, presumably from the vibration as they are generally not built with a 4x4 in mind, the Helton is build with only a 4x4 in mind :D Thanks again, I'mo excited to see how you finish it off. I'm running my Tacoma setup through my HCV as well, very hand for adjusting the temps :cool:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Thanks Kurt,after a long recovery I had all kind of things planned on how to mount it.What would be the best,out of the way ect.now you see why I purchased the pain in the *** special order one. It all fits into my master plan,easy to get to and removable and a straight shot across the fire wall. I only had to use the curved end going into the heater from the factory hose cause all the bends line right up. From the control valve just a short 4.5 inch hose. I also carry hose in case the exchanger springs a leak,not likely but just to be safe to take it out of line and get back on the road. You may use the pictures if you like for a demo on the 03 tundra. The Quickfists are the 3" size.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I also like the quick fist idea, seems clean & easy. I might copy this when I finally get around to putting a Helton in one of my rigs.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I was racking my brain on how to mount it believe my recovery from surgery and meds make you think of all kind of wierd things. I went to the back of the truck to check on something and saw the quickfist. GAME OVER.

cruiseroutfit

Thanks Kurt,after a long recovery I had all kind of things planned on how to mount it.What would be the best,out of the way ect.now you see why I purchased the pain in the *** special order one. It all fits into my master plan,easy to get to and removable and a straight shot across the fire wall. I only had to use the curved end going into the heater from the factory hose cause all the bends line right up. From the control valve just a short 4.5 inch hose. I also carry hose in case the exchanger springs a leak,not likely but just to be safe to take it out of line and get back on the road. You may use the pictures if you like for a demo on the 03 tundra. The Quickfists are the 3" size.

Yup, that makes for a really clean setup. :cool: I may bring in a few of that configuration on my next stock order as I think there are others that would benefit from that style too. I'd love to stock all of the different configurations but I think it almost confuses more people. :D

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Well work goes slow on the install.I put in a cold water hose barb in the truck today. The trailer has a electric pump already so I can just use a sort section of hose to connect the barbs and away we go. I installed the barb where the tail gate closes,out of site and protected for the elements. First show where fitting is located,second shows area behind tail light,third shows tailgate closed look towards top. and last shows hose comming up into engine bay. Still waiting for a valve to come in so no use in trying to do anything else. Hose is ran inside of the frame nice and protected from the nastys.

Attachments

• DSC02492.JPG
    DSC02492.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC02494.JPG
    DSC02494.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC02495.JPG
    DSC02495.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC02493.JPG
    DSC02493.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 245

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Ya so am I, I am back to work desk duty only.Will try to do some work this weekend on the project.Got to get it done soon before the 24 Aug,Hip replacement surgery that day.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
All righty then, 95% done at this time did some testing and all works great,Danfoss valve does just what it is to do and adjustable on the fly. Colored hoses you can figure that out hot and cold. Still have to finish plumming to front bumper and to the rear of the truck. Had to make a bracket to use a hole that was already there and the bracket is bent that way to clear some brake lines.

Attachments

• DSC02499.JPG
    DSC02499.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC02496.JPG
    DSC02496.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC02497.JPG
    DSC02497.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC02498.JPG
    DSC02498.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 344

cruiseroutfit

Very cool, keep us posted on the Danfoss operation, all that have used them have been happy, I'm going to start offering them. What part# did you use?

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
The secret question, Danfoss 065B8867 made in Sweden,purchased from www.globalindustrial.com about $60.00. Mine has the 1/2NPT 95-140 temp range. Home depot has the 1/2 NPT to 3/8 hose barb makes it easy or 1/2 hose barb your choice I might do the final pluming today. Do not for get a brass T for the split on the cold water. All my stuff is brass for durability and 3/8 hose size. The first water discharge is pretty hot but a second or so it levels out and while adjusting the valve you can feel the water change temp. You can let it sit but be sure to bleed off the hot water first then your temp goes to where you want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles