Want to ride ,never have before, where to start?

SEREvince

Adventurer
A note on seat height:

Comparing seat heights by looking at the advertised number won't give you an accurate picture of how tall the bike will *feel*.

My 800GS has a seat height of just under 34", and my Husaberg is just shy of 38" - but I can get just as much foot on the ground with the 'berg as I can with the BMW. Why? The Husaberg seat is about 1/3 the width of the BMW seat.

On the Husaberg, I'm straddling a 2x4 that is 38" off the ground, on the BMW, I'm straddling a barcalounger that is 34" off the ground . . . so don't go off of the seat height alone - look at how wide the seat is, too.

Absolutely! Bottom line: You have to throw a leg over a bike to understand the seat height. If it's "THE" bike and it's almost there in the height dept. research lowering options, such as seats, links, etc.

Cheers

Vince

eli

Observer
My 2 cents . . . Proper Training mentally and physically is HUGE! If you cant walk the course you have no business riding it. If you can't push the bike much less pick it up (without power) then how could you ride it effectively . . . Big is not Better! Invest in your gear and training and pick a bike that is light enough and powerful enough for your application. Look with your chin (forces you to raise your visual horizon), Learn to ride in the dirt First! But learn to survive on the street (ride like your invisible) only after you can competently operate the vehicle. I have ridden for a living and I can tell you first hand that I've lost three friends within a year and they had superior skills and experience. Riding for me is as close to the freedom of flying as I can get without a military career and filing a flight plan but My friends are still dead folks . . . the people you love are counting on you and riding a motorcycle is not something to be taken lightly . . . Good Luck

Another WR250R rider here. Love the bike, but I guess I'm one of the shorties being talked about. It rides fine but straddles tall. I have a lowering link installed and am just about to reupholster my saddle with shorter foam to get my feet closer to the ground. The problem is not in dirt but off camber stops on pavement. I began riding again at age 53 after being off bikes for about 25 years, and bikes got taller in the meantime. I like to flat foot it when stopped.

You've gotten some great advice here and I'll chip in again on these points:
  • Start smaller. I think the 250 - 350 range is perfect for first-timers, maybe 400cc if you have some experience. For my money, the WR has plenty of get up and go all day long for my needs, but as always, YMMV. Decide what you want to use your bike for and then go to the web for comparos. (OOPS...I guess you're already here! :victory: )
  • Sit on the bikes first and find out whether you are more comfortable flat footing it or if tippy toes/single footed dabbing is sufficient. Have someone "spot" you while leaning the bike at rest. That'll give you an idea of your comfort level. Remember, someday you'll be sporting an additional 50+lbs. of touring gear.
  • Buy used. You may very well trade up after getting more experience. And check ADV for specific bike reviews, etc.
I tend to agree with the notion that you learn to ride in the dirt and learn to survive on the street. Good luck with your selection! :sombrero:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
... Learn to ride in the dirt First! ...

This has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Is there equivalent to the MSF street bike class where a complete beginner can turn up and learn to ride a dirt bike off road without owning any of their own gear?

Wander

Expedition Leader
Great link-thanks. There is a course not too far away from which surprised me as there isn't a lot of open land to ride MX around here.

sandalscout

Adventurer
I went back and looked, I was partially mistaken, or things have changed since the last time I looked (a year ago). I was looking on at the Introduction to Trail Riding course, the closest one of those is 240 miles from me now. Might have to do that one soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94