"Mossy" the family hauler XJ build

VW Jeeper

Observer
The wife and I were blessed to have our first child, a son :wings:, in late March of this year. We've been into off-roading and camping for quite sometime now but with the new addition to our growing family I'm excited to start back off of crawling so many rocks and start building more of a family style rig....

With the inspiration of many rigs/owners on this forum we bought a '98 XJ Limited from a good friend back in April with the goal of building it into a vehicle not unlike most on here. The goal is to have a super reliable rig that has a moderate amount of modifications done to it to be practical off road yet remain comfortable enough to drive to and from work a few days a week or several hours on the hwy for weekend trips.

The PO had added few things to the Jeep already like a budget boost, 31" tires, and a few interior items, but I hope to take it much further.

Over the past few months I've been doing mainly maintenance to the Jeep as it has 133K on it and needed including, unit bearings, ujoints, water pump, theromstat, belts, hoses, all fluids changed, new tie rod ends (up graded to ZJ V8 tie rod) etc...I still plan to change out the ball joints, put a new oil pan gasket and rear main seal in and possibly rebuild/replace the rear Dana 35 as it's making some noise.

Now that "most" of the up front maintenance is complete its time to start on the good stuff!

Vehicle Specs
1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Moss Green with Spice Interior
4.0L, AW4 Auto, NP242
HP 30 and Dana 35 both with 3.55s

Current Mods to date:
4.5" Rough Country Coils
RC LCAs
RC Adj. Tbar
RC Discos
New Moog Steering (ZJ V8)
OME SD-40 Steering Damper
YJ Monroe Sensatrac Gas Shocks front
MJ Monroe Sensatrac Gas Shocks rear
Relocated/Extended front brake lines
Pro-Comp 3.5" Replacement leaf packs w/additional leaf
1" Daystar Lift Shackles
H/T SYE and XJ Front Driveshaft
5 New 265/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires mounted on Jeep Ultrastar 16x7s
Wet Okole Seat Covers
Husky Liners
Pioneer head unit with all new MTX speakers
Hardwired TomTom GPS unit
APN Header flowing through a Magna Flow Cat and Flowmaster Muffler
K&N Drop-in filter
Hella 500s
Silverstar headlights and fogs
Hardwired TomTom GPS
Pioneer Head unit with new MTX speakers all around

I feel like we've got a good start but as stated above I still hope to add a LOT more over the coming months. At the top of the list will be bumpers ft/rr and a set of rock sliders, then I'd like to change the gearing out to 4.10s and possibly add a set of Detroit TruTracs along with "beefing" the rear Dana 35 a bit more.

A few updated pics from this afternoon with the new rubber and suspension.

IMG-20110707-00052.jpg

IMG-20110707-00049.jpg

Last edited:

VW Jeeper

Observer
Here are couple of pics of the interior as well. The first we owned the Jeep I pulled the interior out and steam cleaned all the carpets someone who owned the Jeep prior to me had smoked heavily inside and the tar and smell were awful. BUT after a few battles with the Rug Doctor the smell was gone and she's minty fresh inside now.

Cherokee09.jpg

Cherokee08.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I would invest in some better tires with improved puncture resistance like the BFG A/T's.

lol...he just bought 5 new tires. It's in his list.

Maybe actually read his post, ask why he chose those particular tires, before offering unsolicited advice?

Just a thought, dude.

VW Jeeper

Observer
I would invest in some better tires with improved puncture resistance like the BFG A/T's.

Geez....please enlighten me as to why my purchase of 5 Falken's was a not a good idea based on what research of the Falken's vs. BFG ATs?

ACTUALLY before you insult my rig and intelligence you should know this is not my first rodeo as I've built and wheeled Jeeps for the past 13 years. As such I spent several hours researching what tires would fit my build the best. I have run BFG ATs in the past on several different rigs and considered them for this rig, BUT I have read nothing but good reviews of the Falken's and I wanted to try something a little different than every other rig out there that has BFGs on it. Furthermore my set of tires are LT "E" rated which is a 10ply rating that will be more than sufficient for a 1/4 ton XJ.

If you are bored check out the real world testing of these tires at www.jk-experience.com as the majority of these rigs ran the Falkens in the 2010 event with great results.

end of my rant....

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Geez....please enlighten me as to why my purchase of 5 Falken's was a not a good idea based on what research of the Falken's vs. BFG ATs?

ACTUALLY before you insult my rig and intelligence you should know this is not my first rodeo as I've built and wheeled Jeeps for the past 13 years. As such I spent several hours researching what tires would fit my build the best. I have run BFG ATs in the past on several different rigs and considered them for this rig, BUT I have read nothing but good reviews of the Falken's and I wanted to try something a little different than every other rig out there that has BFGs on it. Furthermore my set of tires are LT "E" rated which is a 10ply rating that will be more than sufficient for a 1/4 ton XJ.

If you are bored check out the real world testing of these tires at www.jk-experience.com as the majority of these rigs ran the Falkens in the 2010 event with great results.

end of my rant....

If you felt insulted, I digress, was simply making a suggestion based of 17 years of running BFG tires. I use what I have tested and rely on from experience. But good luck with the tires, I hope the sidewalls are thicker than your skin....

VW Jeeper

Observer
If you felt insulted, I digress, was simply making a suggestion based of 17 years of running BFG tires. I use what I have tested and rely on from experience. But good luck with the tires, I hope the sidewalls are thicker than your skin....

Oh my skin is thick enough, I just get annoyed when web wheeler's make blanket statements on an internet forums with no real world facts to back it up. This isn't JeepsUnlimited and as such I'm not going to get into a pissing match over who's tires are better. The reality is BFGs have a great reputation and are great tire choice for many but a quick Google search for "BFG thin sidewall" will yield thread after thread of thin on different forums about thin/cut sidewall issues with BFG tires so please get your facts straight before clicking the submit button.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Oh my skin is thick enough, I just get annoyed when web wheeler's make blanket statements on an internet forums with no real world facts to back it up. This isn't JeepsUnlimited and as such I'm not going to get into a pissing match over who's tires are better. The reality is BFGs have a great reputation and are great tire choice for many but a quick Google search for "BFG thin sidewall" will yield thread after thread of thin on different forums about thin/cut sidewall issues with BFG tires so please get your facts straight before clicking the submit button.

Web wheeler, huh, that cracks me up!! And I have never even been on JU, but obviously you have....Have a nice day and keep it wheels down!

bat

Explorer
Having been a Cherokee owner you have a great start and great color choice in the jeep.
It has a nice fit with tires and lift but I was just wondering why the tires are round not square :D

VW Jeeper

Observer
Having been a Cherokee owner you have a great start and great color choice in the jeep.
It has a nice fit with tires and lift but I was just wondering why the tires are round not square :D

LOL....I really wanted the new triangle shaped tires but I just couldn't afford them :hehe:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94