2008 Chevrolet Colorado build

nmatcek

Adventurer
Hey everyone. Fairly new to the site (been reading, not posting) and wanted to say hello and show ya'll my truck so far. It's a 2008 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4x4.
Rancho 4" lift with 255/85R16 ST maxx on ProComp 16x8s
Full set of skid plates...front, front diff, and t-case
Factory G80 rear locker
Ultragauge
Custom made rear bumper
Light bar with hid Hellas and frame mounted recovery shackles
Mombasa RTT on custom fabbed rack
ARE camper shell

Last edited:

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Awesome looking truck, great build! I love Colorados and was actually looking for one before I bought my Sierra but couldn't find a decent one within 100 miles. I still have thoughts of selling my truck and going to a Colorado in a couple of years.

Can't wait to see more!

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
Looks great! Im in S.A. as well, if you ever go to hidden falls hit me up, i go out there with my mx bike and cruise around. Looking forward to this build

wyojoe

Adventurer
I agree with what everyone else said... It looks great! I actually have an '05 Colorado that I would like to modify a bit. So far, it's basically stock, with only a tire upgrade, a CB radio, a camper shell, and a roof rack. I would like to lift it and put bigger tires under it, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a lift kit that will require I buy new wheels, too. I may end up cranking up the torsion bars and putting in a rear add-a-leaf, like a lot of other Colorado owners have done. With a little fender trimming, I could run 33" tires according to what others have done. The 31s that are on there now look tiny after I look at the pictures of your truck!

I also have a Jumping Jack trailer that I use for camping and traveling. I'm planning to get out on the road in a little over a week with it. I'll be traveling through CA, NV, UT, WY, and CO, and possibly several other states, too. I'm looking forward to getting off the highway with the rig on this trip, since it will be my first trip with the new trailer.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Thank you guys for all the positive comments. :)

Looks great! Im in S.A. as well, if you ever go to hidden falls hit me up, i go out there with my mx bike and cruise around. Looking forward to this build

Sounds good man. I've never been out there but from what I've seen it looks awesome. Some areas look pretty rough. My brother is going to be working on a set of rock sliders for both of our trucks so that should help some.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Awesome looking truck, great build! I love Colorados and was actually looking for one before I bought my Sierra but couldn't find a decent one within 100 miles. I still have thoughts of selling my truck and going to a Colorado in a couple of years.

Can't wait to see more!

Thank you! I know what you mean. This was the only one at every dealership in the city that was 4x4. Lots of Z71s but not many 4WD.

nmatcek

Adventurer
My brother got a tubing bender so we are workin' on some sliders. 2" square main slider along the pinch weld. 1 3/4" round outer rail.

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0512.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

JamesDowning

Explorer
Nice build so far. I like the rack, but it seems like it could vibrate a lot on a rough trail - I could be wrong. I'm sure the legs are strong enough as is, but some gusseting to protect against low frequency vibrations could be helpful. I tend to overbuild things.

On the sliders, I'd recommend coming out another inch or two. Mine are mounted rather wide compared to most sliders I've seen, but I believe it provides a little more protection to the sides, while still protecting the bottom of the body.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Nice build so far. I like the rack, but it seems like it could vibrate a lot on a rough trail - I could be wrong. I'm sure the legs are strong enough as is, but some gusseting to protect against low frequency vibrations could be helpful. I tend to overbuild things.

On the sliders, I'd recommend coming out another inch or two. Mine are mounted rather wide compared to most sliders I've seen, but I believe it provides a little more protection to the sides, while still protecting the bottom of the body.

Thanks for your input. There are some fairly stout gussets up top where the legs meet the rack. Don't think they were shown in any of the in progress pics. The turnbuckles get this thing amazingly snug without even using any tools and I have not had any vibration issues yet. I hear ya on the sliders. Still have to decide on that. The standoffs are not cut yet so it's still up in the air.

Cool; you don't see a whole lot of these setup like this. I like!

- Andy

Thank you sir :)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice Colorado nmatcek! I agree, you don’t see enough of these little trucks around. They are a very popular platform in Thailand though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles