want to sit up in cabover bed

Atti

I'm looking at hard clam shell campers, for all season boondocking use. Buying used (some day).
It looks like sitting up in the cabover bed is not possible, unless we buy a very large camper. I like the Northern Lite 9.6 and smaller, but I think only the 10.2 has room to sit up in bed.
Any suggestions? Other campers I should look at?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I can sit in the cabover bed of our Bigfoot 25C10.6. I am 6'4", and relatively tall from the waist up. That may be a bigger camper than you are looking for however.

Atti

thanks Dave. I see the 2500 series BF has 42 inches headroom in the cabover. I guess I will have to look at the campers over 9'6" to find that kind of headroom.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
The Bigfoot 2500 series is a bit odd from a tall persons perspective. As I said, I can sit up in the cabover. I also can stand in the shower thanks to the dome skylight over the shower. However, when standing in the camper I just barely graze the ceiling with my hair. I think what happens is the height they use up for the basement forces them to build a relatively tall camper overall just to get reasonable headroom in the main part of the camper, and that results in a taller than normal cabover area. So, for as tall as it is the camper doesn't have an excess of headroom in the main camper area, at least from the perspective of someone who is 6'4".

We've had ours since 1999 and have enjoyed it a great deal over that time.

Good luck with your search.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
What I would look at is how tall is the shower. Some wet baths are several inches shorter then the main room. I sold a Lance 835 to a man that could walk in the main rom but hit his head in the bath. He didnot find this out until the first time he used it for camping.

Atti

Well, I'm just under the 6' mark, so I guess the height in bath and main areas won't be too hard to find (I should hope), but the lower cabover is something I know will irk me.

Atti

Anyone have cabover height measurements for others (beside clamshell) campers. I'm thinking S&S?

motrhed

Observer
Corsair 9'2"

I have an '06 Corsair 9'2" and it has plenty of head room up top. I am 6'1" tall and I can sit-up on the bed with no issues, I even have a custom mattress that is an inch thicker than the stock one. Unfortunately, Corsair shut down their factory a few years back (due to the poor economy) and it doesn't sound like they are going to reopen. Too bad because they made premium quality campers with excellent build quality.

haven

Expedition Leader
Or you could take the custom route:

afrika-offroadcamper.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles