MAN Unicat.

Ausmuz

Apologies if this has been done to death before, but am new around here and thought I'd ask anyway..... What is the collective wisdom concerning an MAN as a base chassis for an Expedition Vehicle? A lot of what I've read certainly suggest that they are an excellent vehicle and I note that both Unicat and Action Mobile feature them a lot in their promotional material.

I've heard various versions of the Unicat closing then reopening issue. Anybody got any first hand experience of what happened? While I am yet to visit Unicat (planning to later this year) I am becoming concerned at the mounting cost of their product. Frankly I am finding the prices being asked beyond belief. I accept this stuff is engineered to operate in extreme conditions, and is first class in terms of fit out. Nonetheless they are talking BIG money. While I am prepared to pay to get what I need, I am wondering if any of you are able to give first hand information on how these things stack up in the real world...

Murray
Australia

haven

Expedition Leader
First, welcome to ExPo! There's a wealth of information here on all sorts of topics, available by searching, or browsing the forum categories. And don't be shy about asking questions.

IMO, The MAN chassis is used by Unicat and others for two reasons. MAN is making an excellent vehicle these days, and their prices are a lot cheaper than Mercedes. If you're thinking about traveling outside Australia, Mercedes should be your first choice due to their world-wide distribution. But the price of entry is painfully high.

Like many other creators of specialty products, Unicat was caught out by the global financial downturn of the past couple of years. They had to use the shelter of bankruptcy proceedings to get their affairs in order. The company is back in business now.

The financial slowdown has one beneficial effect: Lots of people decided to sell their adventure travel vehicles. Prices in the used market are quite low right now, and represent excellent value.

Unicat is only one of a number of well-known builders of custom high quality adventure travel vehicles. I recommend that you contact All Terrain Warriors in Brisbane and discuss your needs and travel plans. ATW can build on any chassis, including MAN.
http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/

George

Experiance with UNICAT

I heard that UNICAT is still in financial troubles, so that it is a risk to to a deal with this company.
In my holyday I met a customer of Unicat, which told me, that in the final there where some items not or with failure. There regulation of this matters is still open.
From an other one I heard similar. He said at the beginning of the project every thing was fine, the guy of Unicat was very frendly and very obliging. It was a pleasure to deal with them. But at the end the situation get worse and worse.
I think you should consider that risk, if you want to make a deal with them out of a such distance.
For you information was also intrested in an vehicle from unicat. But I will change to an other one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior