Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
Ranger to exit?

The folks at Mahindra must be closely watching to see if Ford discontinues manufacture of the Ranger pickup in USA.

The plant that makes the Ranger is due to close next year. Ford sells close to 100,000 Rangers each year, so at first glance it looks like Ford should move Ranger production to some other plant. But the Ranger sold in USA is a decade-old design, much in need of an update, and Ford has no spare cash.

In addition, the Ranger isn't that much cheaper than a stripped F150. It would be a lot easier to move the Ranger nameplate over to the bottom end of the F150 line.

Ford has an interesting option: Import pickups from the Mazda plant in Thailand. Isuzu, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Toyota all produce modern, turbodiesel powered pickups in Thailand, for distribution throughout Asia and Africa. Ford sells re-badged Mazdas in these markets.

Chip Haven

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
haven said:
Ford has an interesting option: Import pickups from the Mazda plant in Thailand. Isuzu, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Toyota all produce modern, turbodiesel powered pickups in Thailand, for distribution throughout Asia and Africa. Ford sells re-badged Mazdas in these markets.
So the Mazda pickup sold here is not the same as sold overseas? It looked so much like the Ranger that I assumed they were the same truck and for that reason I'd sort of written off Mazda pickups as an option. Or am I confused and the Mazda = Ford only here in the USA and the rest of the world gets a regular Mazda pickup that differs from the Ranger?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nuclear Redneck said:
Simple, no?
No, I do understand. My apologies for not following close enough, I'm not really a 'car guy' and didn't realize that a Ford Ranger in the USA is actually based on a different platform from a Ford Ranger someplace else. For example, Toyota named the USA truck the Tacoma and left the world truck as Hilux so that thick headed nincompoops like me aren't confused.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
No, I do understand. My apologies for not following close enough, I'm not really a 'car guy' and didn't realize that a Ford Ranger in the USA is actually based on a different platform from a Ford Ranger someplace else. For example, Toyota named the USA truck the Tacoma and left the world truck as Hilux so that thick headed nincompoops like me aren't confused.

That was meant to be a sarcastic "Simple, no?" My appolgies if it came across as anything else.

cruiser guy

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:

Actually the HiLux is different from the Tacoma as well, not the least of which is a diesel engine! The D4D that has been out for several years already.

The Tacoma is a US made truck for the US market, the HiLux is made for the rest of the world where diesels are not anathema!

I didn't realize that India is now getting into the automotive export market. I'll be watching to see if I see those in Guatemala.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I second Scott's comment on the nice, simple, exterior tie-downs. I miss those things.

I also miss nice, simple, compact pickups of nimble size, reasonable capacity, high reliability, and good economy. A new Tacoma that gets 17 mpg on premium fuel is not my idea of economical.

It would be ironic if it took an East Indian company to introduce something this sensible to the U.S. market. But good on 'em if they do. I'd drive it.

cruiser guy

Explorer
Jonathan Hanson said:
I also miss nice, simple, compact pickups of nimble size, reasonable capacity, high reliability, and good economy. A new Tacoma that gets 17 mpg on premium fuel is not my idea of economical.

It would be ironic if it took an East Indian company to introduce something this sensible to the U.S. market. But good on 'em if they do. I'd drive it.

The import pickups of years ago are no longer offered because folks in Canada and the states still have the retarded "bigger is better" idea. Until folks get a grip and figure out that bigger is NOT always better we won't see smaller more reasonable sized vehicles. Here in Central America there are not many folks who'd be interested in buying a full size truck, even for what we'd consider a good price, but you can sell a compact fuel efficient truck VERY easily.

btw: I haven't seen any Mahindra pickups here yet.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
DaveInDenver said:

It is the dreaded "chicken tax" that goes back to the late 70's or early 80's and is still on the books.

Imported trucks are subjected to a punitive 25% tax. That's why the first Japanese vehicles assembled in the US were trucks. Mazda, Isuzu and Mitsubishi all sell (or used to sell) rebadged American trucks in the US market (Ford Ranger, Chevy S10 and Dodge Dakota, respectively.) The reason the Mazda looks like a Ford Ranger is because they are the same vehicle with just a few cosmetic differences. By making the truck in the US, they avoid the tax. It's also why the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier are made in the US.

That's one reason I'm not holding my breath for the Mahindra. Unless the Chicken Tax is repealed, it will be almost impossible for anyone to break into the US truck market and still make a profit.

(I think it's called the chicken tax because it is a retaliation for some other countries taxing chicken exports from the US.)

haven

Expedition Leader
another photo

nice and clear, from Mahindra, via TruckTrend.com

mahindra1.jpg

Truck Trend says 2.2L turbodiesel with 300 lb-ft of torque,
six speed auto trans, gear driven transfer case, torsion bar
front suspension

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members