Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
If you're looking for a diesel powered 4x4
small pickup, it will probably come from
India before it does from Tokyo or Detroit.

mahindra.jpg

Mahindra is an Indian manufacturing company
that is one of the world's largest makers
of farm tractors. Mahindra began in the
late 1940's assembling Willys Jeeps from
knock-down kits.

Some features expected in the new truck:

good:
2.2L 4 cylinder turbo-diesel
300 lb ft torque
shift on the fly four wheel drive
6 speed auto trans
120 inch wheelbase
fully boxed frame
7.5 ft bed
4 year, 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty

not so good:
IFS
torsion bar front suspension

The plan is to introduce Mahindra vehicles to
USA in late 2008 or early 2009. A dealer network
is being constructed now. Somehow, the
new diesel emissions regulations are not
considered an issue.

Price for the standard cab pickup is expected to be
around $20,000. The rapidly sinking value of the
dollar may change this price, however.

Chip Haven

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I've read some articles in A4WD about those Indian vehicles. Or were they Thai...don't remember. They do offer an affordable platform option.

haven

Expedition Leader
300 newton meters?

The more I think about the torque rating, the more I'm convinced that the guys writing the news item got it wrong. It's more likely to be 300 newton-meters, or 222 lb-ft of torque.

Mahindra recently started selling the truck in Australia with a 2.5L four cylinder turbo-diesel. This model, called the "Pik-Up," has 247 N-M torque, or 182 lb-ft.

Here's a better photo of the Pik-Up

pikup_i0x5526-800x600.jpg

Winky

Adventurer
I am going to ignore your logic and interject my own..... 300ftlbs:chowtime:

Cheers
josh

preacherman

Explorer
I bumped into one of their 4 door models in Africa back in Jan. It looked alot like a defender110 that mated with a landcruiser 70. I gave it the once over and was impressed. I will see if I can round up any pics...

gary in ohio

Explorer
And most of all its got some style that is lacking in most of the other US bound vehicles\. So much of the junk we have now has been researched, consumer approved to appeal to the masses that everything looks the same.

Saw a new ford setting next to a new Jaguar and couldnt tell the difference.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
if I could get it in a 4door with a bed or big wagon I would buy it right away...I love diesel and my 16yr old would like to upgrade from his 80's MB 300D turbo...make a mini expo rig for him to follow my FJC,,,
I wonder how long before the aftermarket would start making parts...I would think for the first yr or 2 you would have to custom fab bumpers, skids, rock rails, and such...still not a bad deal if the price is +/- 20k

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I do like them! Like mentioned I wonder about the aftermarket support? May just go down to tractor supply and buy some coilovers! LOL

0,10114,5257342,00.jpg

200604181630102006ScorpioDC.jpg

106430_3.jpg

106429_2.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great pics...
I am buying that 4dr diesel as soon as it hits the USA unless I hear terrible things...
I would be happy to help eval anything the aftermarket thinks of making as I am sure front bumper with winch, skids, rear bumper with swing out, rear rack with storage, and more will all be some of my first mods...
Even if it doesn't work out the best, I hope it will encourage other makers to get small diesels into this market.
Of course a Toyota diesel (other than Tundra) would be my next purchase if it ever happen...doubt it anytime soon....so I guess it will be an Indian Truck in the Southwest.
enjoy
1leglance

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Mahrindra!

I've been thinking about a post bemoaning the disappearance of compact pickups in the US so this is good news. Oh for it to have a decent payload rating, say 2000#.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier