Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
But it hurts so good to talk about the chances to get a midsize diesel pickup with a 2500 lb carrying capacity.

ben2go

Adventurer
I wouldn't consider it a mid size.From my understanding,it's a little smaller all around that a ford ranger.Maybe a compact pick up.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Mahindra pickup sold elsewhere is longer than a Tacoma, with close to double the cargo capacity. That's quite a bit larger than the old USA Ranger. The Mahindra's width is about the same as the Ranger, and narrower than the Tacoma.

2009 Mahindra Appalachian Regular cab 4x4
Wheel base.....119.7 in
overall length.....200.7 in
width.....69.7 in
bed length.....89 in
payload.....2200? 2600? lbs

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular cab 4x4
Wheel base.....110.0 inches
overall length.....190.4 in
width.....74.6 in
bed length.....73.5 in
payload.....1485 lbs

ben2go

Adventurer
The Mahindra pickup sold elsewhere is longer than a Tacoma, with close to double the cargo capacity. That's quite a bit larger than the old USA Ranger. The Mahindra's width is about the same as the Ranger, and narrower than the Tacoma.

2009 Mahindra Appalachian Regular cab 4x4
Wheel base.....119.7 in
overall length.....200.7 in
width.....69.7 in
bed length.....89 in
payload.....2200? 2600? lbs

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular cab 4x4
Wheel base.....110.0 inches
overall length.....190.4 in
width.....74.6 in
bed length.....73.5 in
payload.....1485 lbs

But the crew cab is about the same as the Ranger's.I don't see many regular cabs selling well except as fleet vehicles.

haven

Expedition Leader
I guess i misunderstood. You're talking about the global Ford Ranger, not the truck sold in USA. I don't think Ford ever sold a four door Ranger in USA. In that case, yes, the Mahindra is similar in size to the made-in-Thailand Ranger, and all the other global models like the Toyota HiLux, Mitsubishi Triton, and Nissan Navara. All are available with "metric ton" carrying capacity, 2200 lbs or more.

ben2go

Adventurer
I guess i misunderstood. You're talking about the global Ford Ranger, not the truck sold in USA. I don't think Ford ever sold a four door Ranger in USA. In that case, yes, the Mahindra is similar in size to the made-in-Thailand Ranger, and all the other global models like the Toyota HiLux, Mitsubishi Triton, and Nissan Navara. All are available with "metric ton" carrying capacity, 2200 lbs or more.

Well yes and no.I was speaking of the USA 4 door ranger, but it's not a true crew/quad cab.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I can't imagine having that payload in a "small, compact, midsize, little..." whatever you want to call it truck...2200lbs is >50% better than my Tacoma double cab 4x4... I thought I read somewhere that the global ranger has a 2500lb payload:Wow1:

haven

Expedition Leader
That's right. The global "midsize" pickups like Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Nissan Navarra, and Mitsubishi Triton are available with payloads that exceed 1000 kg, aka a "metric ton." That's 2200 lbs. In many countries, there are no "full size" American style pickups sold. These "midsize" trucks do the job that an F150 might do in USA. I think this explains why Ford doesn't want to import the new Ranger to USA. It wouldn't make sense to sell two trucks with similar specs.

With new fuel economy and emissions standards comjng to trucks soon, we'll see more changes to trucks than have happened jn the last 100 years. Manufacturers are considering smaller, lighter trucks based on car chassis as the entry level models. Trucks with larger payload will see electric-diesel hybrid drivetrains and other high tech gadgets to deliver performance with reduced fuel consumption.

SnowDozerCJ5

lighter and based on car chassis like the Chevy El Camino, Ford Ranchero, Dodge Rampage, Subaru Baja, and Jeep Comanche?
ford transit pickup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier