"The Man Van" - UJOINT Conversion Update

LukeD

Observer
Just wanted to post an update on the progress of my van. I started my uJoint conversion about this time last year. I did the SAS swap first and just finished the t-case, transmission, tank and gears last month.

This is what it looked like the day I bought it and brought it home. (Oct 2009)
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_1189_2.jpg

This is right after “Stage 1” as I like to call it (June 2010)
IMG_1195.jpg

A quick trip from Fresno to Portland to visit John at QuadVan to have my sliding door extended to clear the rear tire (July 2010)
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG

This is it today, finally 4 wheel drive (July 2011)
IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2766.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2769.JPG
IMG_2772.JPG

2003 EB 15 Passenger
7.3 PSD
Ujoint Off-Road Conversion Parts
Dana 60 Front (2002 F350)
Front ARB Locker
Bushwackers
ATS Nerf Bars
Aluminess Ladder and Tire Carrier
American Eagle 100 Wheels
Nitto Trail Grappler 35.12.5x17

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Lookin good Luke!! Glad to see everything coming together!

Shoot me some pics & I'll update my website.

New River KTM

Observer
Rack Build

I love the rack can we get a couple of up close and personal shots? What size tubing are you using? My rack is currently in the design stage and I'm looking for ideas around drip rail mounting. I have a sunroof that is removable and planning a hatch to get out and up on the rack also lighting is very important what are you going to add to brighten up the night? Looks great.

LukeD

Observer
I love the rack can we get a couple of up close and personal shots? What size tubing are you using? My rack is currently in the design stage and I'm looking for ideas around drip rail mounting. I have a sunroof that is removable and planning a hatch to get out and up on the rack also lighting is very important what are you going to add to brighten up the night? Looks great.

I will take some closer shots once I get out to the shop again on Friday

The tubing is 1.5" 096 round steel tubing, cross bars are 1"x2" 096 square tubing

I am going to hack my thule gutter mounts and weld them to the rack

Lighting will be (2) 170mm Light Force lights and a Golight Stryker 3049-W in front and (6) KC backup lights ( 2 per side and 2 in back)

Last edited:

LukeD

Observer
That looks like the modification needed to clear the bigger tires and flares for slide door vans. Someone should be taking notes on that mod.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

The plan was to have us in and out in about an hour-hour half, John (owner) ended up spending the entire 8 hour day doing the door, he had never done one to clear that much tire and he ended up modifying the lower roller assembly and the door jamb by trial and error, he let me, my family of 6 borrow one of their converted vans all day and by the end of the day he said he would never do another one like that again ( although I'm sure he would). Great guy, clean shop, definitely an expert on ford vans. He showed me all sorts of cool things they do, aux fuel tanks, their version of the under van storage/trunk, custom cast trans/t-case adapter etc. Total worth the 800 mile drive there as I now have a 100% functional sliding door that's possibly one of a kind.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I hear ya! Bumper production has been a long drawn out process..... Slowed down again because I'm building another 30 conversion kits!

Phomollient

Quadan sliding door extension

Help! I live too far to drive my E350 to Quadvan. I'm going to have to fabricate my own parts.

I can see from picture No. 5 that the track arm was extended approximately 6 inches.

Do you know if that was all that Quadvan did? Were other modifications made? If so, where were the mods and do you remember what was done?

Sure would like some close up pics of what was done.

Any help much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz