87-88 Range Rover

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
Talk to me about 87-88 Range Rovers. I know these were the only years in the US with manual t-case, but anything else special with them. Did these have the same electrical demons?

Thanks,

datrupr

Expedition Leader
My parents had an 88 and finally got rid of it after about 240K. it did indeed have it's share of "normal" land rover troubles, and one or two of them were electrical related. Since it was not my truck I do not know the specifics, I just remember hearing them ********** about the cost everytime after they got it back from the shop. Expensive to repair, but still a good truck IMO.

pangaea

Adventurer
They've also got the 3.5L V8 which is a bit of a dog. You may want to think about a 3.9 Rover, and then swap the t-case out... or you could just change out the long block on the 3.5 for a 3.9...

Scott Brady

Founder
The Range Rovers are cool machines. Timeless class and good trail performance.

The newer models did not have a locking center (a viscous unit), but they did have traction control.

I wouldnt mind having a new RR Sport in my driveway. :D

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
Yes a new RR sport would be very nice.

The reason I asked was I found a clean 1988 for $1500 only. The more I think about it though it is probably not the route I want to go.

Just wondering if anybody has ever made an expedition rig out of one.

gjackson

FRGS
Plenty of people have used RRs as expedition rigs (including Camel trophy). My Dad had one in South Africa (a '78) and that's what we used in the Kalahari and Zim for years. One of the largest drawbacks is range (despite the name!!). With the V8 you don't get great milage. But of course that depends on what you want to do with it.

Check out:
http://www.gateway2africa.org/

for a nice expedition RR.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles