EcoBoost F150 for Peterson's Ultimate Adventure

haven

Expedition Leader
Peterson's 4x4 and Offroad Magazine hosts an annual gathering called the Ultimate Adventure. It's a week of mayhem on impossible trails and tough off-road parks. Participating vehicles are highly modified, but have to be road legal, and driven between venues. No trailer queens allowed.

This year, Peterson's is building a Ford F150 with V6 EcoBoost motor for the Ultimate Adventure. Since the F150 uses independent front suspension, Peterson's is creating a one-off IFS that will be tough enough to handle 40 inch tires, diff lockers, and provide enough articulation to deal with extreme obstacles.

The IFS project is described here
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/ultima...ate_2011_ford_f150_ecoboost_part_4/index.html

762X39

Explorer
I will be watching this project with interest. My next work truck will be another F150 and I have high hopes for the ecoboost V6. My previous work truck was an F150 (2004 Heritage Supercab) that has retired to my driveway as a tow vehicle for my trailer.It has about 310,000k on it and if history is any indication, the new truck will be a winner.:coffee:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
My current work truck is a 09 f-150 4x4 ccsb. I only have 37k miles on it and other than oil changes and 3 sets of tires I have zero problems with it. it is also very roomy for 4 adults.

the truck sees some off road and it is worked hard with alot of idle time etc.

we burn through mud tires after about 18-25k miles. Im now trying the new falken at tire.

we run 285/70/17 on our trucks.

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Hmm looks interesting, wouldn't it be easier to swap in an ecoboost in a Raptor since it already has a beefed up suspension?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I don't think the Raptor's suspension would stand up to 40" tires and the trails they tend to do on the UA. My guess is they are going to break the heck out of the front end of that truck.

haven

Expedition Leader
Marshal, thanks for sharing. The suspension mods seem to be working! The world's largest set of fender flares will be needed to make this F150 street-legal.

The last two years' King of the Hammers race was won by a buggy with independent front suspension.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Marshal, thanks for sharing. The suspension mods seem to be working! The world's largest set of fender flares will be needed to make this F150 street-legal.

The last two years' King of the Hammers race was won by a buggy with independent front suspension.

it depends on what state you live in as far as making it street legal. for example, Kentucky - the state i live in has no tire coverage laws. fenders are simply not a required item. and if i remember correctly, in California where this truck was built and will live for a while till it starts hitting up the east coasts rock crawling (KY, PA, TN etc..) the tire coverage laws are there, but are not readily enforced.

here is a photo of the "new" front suspension"

its fully boxed chromoly 3/16ths plate with uniballs and a 2 ton unit baring from spidertrax as well as a HP60 from dynatrac as the center section, huge CV's and full hydro steering. id be very surprised if it failed.
131_1110_15+ultimate_f_150_part_4+front_suspension.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah they tend to know what they are doing when they build those UA trucks, they always turn out super sick. that truck is going to be sweet when its done, i love the sound of the eco boost

toddz69

Explorer
I really like the final paint scheme on the truck. The Gulf racing colors from the 60s are always good in my book.

Todd Z.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Amazing photo! I wonder if this will result in a kit to "Raptorize" your Ecoboost F150.

you can "raptorize" your F150 already. the whole high speed race concept is WILDLY different than rock crawling as you can see/already know

this truck is not setup well for baja, its very very heavy. between the tires, boat siding, dana 60 front, dana 80 rear and all the additional armor; they probably added close to 2000lbs of extra weight on this thing.

check out Camburg or Brenthel. they have 4wd long travel kits available. Camburg sells a kit that nearly mimics the raptors suspension travel for $2800 and are working on long travel kits. Brenthel on the other hand sells a front suspension for 4wd's that would make the Raptor look like a toy. granted the front suspension from Brenthel starts at $5800, before shocks, bypass shocks, bump stops, limit straps, axles and the whole rear suspension.

pricy pricy pricy

RR1

Explorer
you can "raptorize" your F150 already. the whole high speed race concept is WILDLY different than rock crawling as you can see/already know

this truck is not setup well for baja, its very very heavy. between the tires, boat siding, dana 60 front, dana 80 rear and all the additional armor; they probably added close to 2000lbs of extra weight on this thing.

check out Camburg or Brenthel. they have 4wd long travel kits available. Camburg sells a kit that nearly mimics the raptors suspension travel for $2800 and are working on long travel kits. Brenthel on the other hand sells a front suspension for 4wd's that would make the Raptor look like a toy. granted the front suspension from Brenthel starts at $5800, before shocks, bypass shocks, bump stops, limit straps, axles and the whole rear suspension.

pricy pricy pricy

SDHQ as well....their front suspension is sick!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Fixing-quot-the-rear-suspension-on-the-Raptor

260148_230692640291261_100000515810327_980671_4328007_n.jpg

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
very. you could very easily get carried away with slapping $15-20k in accessories to a raptor for a all out trophy truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles