So , I'm starting over....

partsflyin

Adventurer
Looking Good!
I noticed you offered to take some pics of your turbo setup for Spencyg and was wondering if you might extend that offer on and just put them in your thread here. My '84 has a Banks turbo too but the previous owner took the AC out to accommodate an aftermarket air filter. I'm interested in figuring out where to route the intake so that I might be able to get some AC parts reinstalled and working again (fingers crossed that I can do this without spending an arm and a leg!). Assuming you've got AC, I'd be interested to see how you've got everything wedged in there.
thanks!
josh

Josh, absolutely bro ! I will get some pics this weekend. Good timing too, I will have the interior completely stripped and the dogbox out already as Im gonna coat the floor with monsta-liner.
My van does in fact have AC , and I will show you what I came up with for a solution. When I bought the van it had an absolutely ridiculous air filter setup. Pretty much all you could see when you popped the hood was the air filter housing. It was terrible !! In order to check the oil or trans fluid you had to completely remove the filter housing .
Anywho I'll snap some pics and get back with how I remedied the situation.
Slim

rockbender

Adventurer
Cool - looking forward to seeing what you've got going! Also looking forward to hearing how the liner works for deadening some sound. I pulled the passenger seat and doghouse this weekend and am in the middle of replacing the injectors and am thinking about trying to add some more sound and heat proofing / reducing means before I stuff it all back together.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Stripped out the interior for a clean slate for the monsta-liner.

Please note my high-speed carbon fiber cane !! The flames add about .006 mph to my wobble.
dl1497647-(6).jpg

dl1497647-(8).jpg

dl1497647-(9).jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
Couple pics of the air filter/turbo set up for Rockbender.

dl1497647-(12).jpg

dl1497647-(13).jpg

You can see the air intake "elbow" going right into the turbo, it was there when I bought the van so I am assuming it is from Banks. I did away with all the other BS and found a cone style filter with a 3" outlet. There was just enough room to squeeze it in there, directly on the end of the elbow.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Got the second coat of liner on last night.
A couple more close up pics to show detail.
slim-pics-035.jpg

slim-pics-036.jpg

slim-pics-037.jpg

I am very happy with the results so far.
The color is what I wanted.
The texture is very nice.
I have used Herculiner several times in the past and like it but the texture is down right abrasive on the Herculiner.(one of the biggest reasons I wanted to try the Monsta-Liner)
When I get everything reassembled I will report on what kind of sound deadening I get out of it. I actually coated the dogbox cover as well (it was getting pretty worn looking, as it once had carpet glued to it) It came out looking great. (pics to come). I will report back on how well it sticks and if I notice any sound deadening.

I would like to add, If you plan to use Monsta-Liner, Don't wait any longer than you have to between coats ecspecially if you have alot of tape lines. Due to time constraints I did the coats about 24 hrs apart and tape removal was a bit of a pain. The first coat had set up enough to make things difficult.

Attachments

• slim-pics-037.jpg
    slim-pics-037.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 11

rockbender

Adventurer
That really looks great - wish I had done something similar when I had my van gutted! I may still pull the carpet up in the front cabin area and do that though.

Thanks for the intake photos. I've got the same elbow and essentially I just have a tube that extends straight to the front and a K&N mounts there. The only advantage I see with it up front is that it pulls in some cooler air. When you're out shooting photos, maybe take a pick of your AC pump under the hood for me? I'd like to get an idea of how much real estate is left and where else I might be able to route an intake.

I've been working on replacing my injectors the past couple evenings and I must say that your engine is nice and clean in comparison - I've got some oil gremlins to take care of. I put some sound damping material in my doghouse behind the stock fiberglass mat while it was out and I'll be interested to see how that works too.

Keep up the good work!

partsflyin

Adventurer
My GF, myself and my son had decided to takenthe van on a weeklong trip over the 4th holiday. I had a couple las minute projects I wanted to finish up beforehand.
The van is far from finished , but I have discovered (as many others have) the more I camp in the van the more I am able to refine my vision of how the final product will be most useful to me. Many of my original ideas have already been changed (more than once).
One thing I knew about the upcoming trip was that i didn't know how often if at all I would have access to 110v for recharging the house batteries. So I figured I should rig up a simple way to charge from the alternator. I scrounged around my parts and found most of what I thought I would need.
I know this setup needs refinement but it worked well for a temporary solution.
I found an old stereo amplifier fusable power connection. Hooked it directly to one of the underhood batteries.
dscf3160.jpg

Ran the cable back to the interior to a simple isolator setup.
dscf3147.jpg

Its a simple starter solenoid.I wired the turn on to a toggle switch that is in turn powered by an ignition "hot" wire. 12v only when the ignition is in the ON position. This allowed me to charge the house batteries whenever I wanted (while the van was running) but I could also turn it off via the toggle if I felt the batteries didn't need further charge. All the while having the backup failsafe to isolate the batteries when the ignition is turned OFF.
I mounted the toggle on the dash panel above the headlight switch.
dscf3156.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
Next I finished reinstalling the seats and interior.Stuck the Edgestar and house batteries in. Found a cheap set of drawers at wally world to aid in some food storage.
dscf3153.jpg

dscf3155.jpg

I also grabbed some foam pad to lay down in the sleeping area underneath the sleeping pad.
dscf3148.jpg

dscf3149.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
That really looks great - wish I had done something similar when I had my van gutted! I may still pull the carpet up in the front cabin area and do that though.

Thanks for the intake photos. I've got the same elbow and essentially I just have a tube that extends straight to the front and a K&N mounts there. The only advantage I see with it up front is that it pulls in some cooler air. When you're out shooting photos, maybe take a pick of your AC pump under the hood for me? I'd like to get an idea of how much real estate is left and where else I might be able to route an intake.

I've been working on replacing my injectors the past couple evenings and I must say that your engine is nice and clean in comparison - I've got some oil gremlins to take care of. I put some sound damping material in my doghouse behind the stock fiberglass mat while it was out and I'll be interested to see how that works too.

Keep up the good work!

Grabbed a few pics of the compressor area for ya Bender.

dscf3157.jpg

dscf3158.jpg

dscf3159.jpg

rockbender

Adventurer
thanks for the extra photos - I'll have some rearranging to do to make everything fit, that's for sure!

Glad you got out for a trip! There's no better way to figure out what you need and don't need. Any feedback on the soundproofing from the Monsta Liner? Have you put enough miles in to get a feel for your mpg at this point?

I'm not super familiar with starter solenoids, but make sure it is rated for constant duty so that it doesn't get too hot and become a hazard. Nice simple charging solution though!

partsflyin

Adventurer
thanks for the extra photos - I'll have some rearranging to do to make everything fit, that's for sure!

Glad you got out for a trip! There's no better way to figure out what you need and don't need. Any feedback on the soundproofing from the Monsta Liner? Have you put enough miles in to get a feel for your mpg at this point?

I'm not super familiar with starter solenoids, but make sure it is rated for constant duty so that it doesn't get too hot and become a hazard. Nice simple charging solution though!

As for sound proofing I will say this, It definately made a diffrence but not as signifigant as I had hoped for. I am still super stoked and happy with the monsta-liner though, just don't count on a huge diffrence in sound.

I am also super excited about mpgs. I ended up logging about 500 miles this trip and averaged about 14.3 mpgs. Probably DOUBLE what I was getting on the gasser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles