So , I'm starting over....

partsflyin

Adventurer
So, here's the deal. I'm pretty sure I have a sickness. Not sure what its called.
I have poured more hours than I can count into my 81 Quigley (doesn't really look like that much yet but it was coming along) And all of a sudden I run across a deal I could not refuse for another E-350.
It took over a month just to get a chanceto view the van ( super long story involving a super shady mechanic)
Well long story short, I had to have it.
Here's a few pics sent to me from the previous owner.
vanpic2.jpg

vanpic3.jpg

vanpic4.jpg

vanpic5.jpg

Specs
1988 E-350
7.3 Turboed by Banks
Banks exhaust
C-6
Not sure on Tcase yet
Dana 44 front
Dana?? rear
Quigley 4x4

Stay tuned for the build up. Interior is fully stripped for a blank canvas.
Super excited !!

rockbender

Adventurer
Sweet ride! Those old IDI motors are great. Just make sure to check the coolant type / additive level (read up on cavitation if you haven't already).

Can't wait to watch the inside build and hear a little comparison on how this rig drives compared to your '81. Good score for sure!

partsflyin

Adventurer
Sweet ride! Those old IDI motors are great. Just make sure to check the coolant type / additive level (read up on cavitation if you haven't already).

Can't wait to watch the inside build and hear a little comparison on how this rig drives compared to your '81. Good score for sure!

Thanks!
This being my first diesel , please give me any and all reccomendations and tips you have the time for.
Researching "cavitation" now.

Bender, do you have any expeirience with an IDI coupled with a Vaccum modulated C6?
Trans pulls good no slipping at all, just shifts funny. Same symptoms I went thru years ago on an old F-150 with a cracked vaccum hose going to the modulator valve.
Makes me think its a vaccum issue.

rockbender

Adventurer
Sorry - no tranny expertise at this time. I'm kind of a learn-as-I-need-to guy and thankfully haven't had to learn anything about the C6 yet. My E350 is an '84 and has the 6.9 diesel in it and I did do a bunch of research on the different iterations of the IDI engine before I bought mine. You'll find tons of information on oilburners.net - those guys are a great resource for these older drivetrains.

The only other thing I'd recommend is making sure you've got a pyrometer if you don't already have one. Depending on whether it is turned up a bit or not you could push into higher temperatures doing damage without knowing it.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
The trans problem could be a bad vacume pump, hows the brakes feel, does the brake pedal seem to fade, if so I would replace the vacume pump.
just my .02
Paul

partsflyin

Adventurer
Looks like I may have solved the tranny issue. Did some digging around and found out that there is more than one kind of modulator valve available for the C6. The color of the stripe aound it tells the diffrence. The trans had a new modulator valve on it with a green stripe. When checked at the parts house, they showed it called for a the valve with a black stripe.They happened to have one in stock so I picked it up. Swapped it in last night , made a huge diffrence ! Seems to be shifting normally now .

partsflyin

Adventurer
Cool rig! (and nice avatar!)

- Andy

LOL! Thanks !!
Just a little bit of and update. Have been driving the van everyday for a week now.
All I can say is Wow!! I love it !!
The $11 modulator valve seems to have cured the "smoked" trans. The second issue I had to contend with was a "bad" injection pump. Diagnosed by the crooked ******** mechanic who had the van on his lot.
Asked the owner what the original problem was , requiring him to take to the mechanic. "Hard starts" were the only actual problem.
So I started by installing a new set of glow plugs. upon istallation I found one plug to have a bad wire wire.
While in the process of installing the glow plugs I also found a badly dry rotted fuel return line. Seemed as if it was allowing air back into the fuel system.
So I am happy to report the van is starting up and running great !! Total investment in
van, glow plugs, oil, filters right about $2500.Also need to add that I found a Jasper engines tag on the 7.3 for 6/03.
Needless to say I am unbelievably stoked !!

ExpoMike

Sweet deal. That's totally rockin' van and a great price. Glad you were able to fix it cheap!

New River KTM

Observer
Very Cool Van love seeing the 80' vans saved. Such minor items can cause big headaches. How about some interior shots how is the inside layout?

partsflyin

Adventurer
Very Cool Van love seeing the 80' vans saved. Such minor items can cause big headaches. How about some interior shots how is the inside layout?

Thanks! The interior is full stripped at the moment but I will be getting some pics soon, as I am stoked about the way the floor was reworked. Evidently the van started life as a handicapped wheelchair van. It actually has a 2" body lift on it. This allowed for the floor directly behind the front seats to be "dropped" four inches. It is dropped 4" all the way back to directly in front of the rear wheel wells. With the raised roof and dropped floor , I can stand fully upright in this area of the van.:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94