Double Tang Clevis Hitch, anyone use one?

B.L. Sims

Observer
I was exploring my local Tractor Supply the other day (farm and animal supply store for those that dont know) and came across this.

This seems like an improvment over most clevis bearing hitches because you can also attach a ball hitch if you choose. You could even get rid of the clevis idea alltogether if you just used a hitch pin through a loop in the strap.

Its got a 10Klb rating which is 500 more than the Smittybuilt and thats more than most of our rigs are rated for anyways.

Tennmogger

Explorer
You might verify the hole size will accommodate the ball. Those holes look a little small. Your idea is a good one.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Could you run two shackles and two blocks off of that? You would be probably be overloading it but if you needed to it might be handy.

-Alex

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I was exploring my local Tractor Supply the other day (farm and animal supply store for those that dont know) and came across this.

This seems like an improvment over most clevis bearing hitches because you can also attach a ball hitch if you choose. You could even get rid of the clevis idea alltogether if you just used a hitch pin through a loop in the strap.

Its got a 10Klb rating which is 500 more than the Smittybuilt and thats more than most of our rigs are rated for anyways.

That is not what it is for. See the below picture for the correct usage.

HYpMpkiN1odPyyIXLr67zMHPpuCvEOXt_2xY9w19foTBD6tr5zm3G-dVm6Uz3BdiMTc5aWelwAFbirMTVFV1aV6iemtvuG9AyJOLFdUwm0SK91QYTFWQqpIPBNDdoh9U8O855JKuvNa-WSbagELPcIGRpLsM4tFY4AsCdBOY0D3_Hg

for what you are looking to do, you want this:

2j75VDpGxz-WgUGvNWCbugsxljAKVGs15Qram6rU9gvCbIdtDQPn-KzQtZqYH4Vba2zwYE9_MJnRLzGRl7hI4yLw309H6OSd5AtoVVR4HJuy9BCEaPp5kShp1ZT3AoQCjfovxW2MpIQ2gLqsobnfF9znsvReA4hmKl_hSlrJhYu_CrgpbvGUUIM9Qa5NmlUQKm-F5sQLRSmdAw

Could you run two shackles and two blocks off of that? You would be probably be overloading it but if you needed to it might be handy.

-Alex

It wouldn't hold up to that usage. it is made to have a pin bridge the gap and have a lunette ring.

B.L. Sims

Observer
I too saw those Pedro. With the mention of mounting a ball I was throwing it out as a possibility (as it was stated by the MFG). Sort of a "multipurpose" idea with a little parts swapping for different applications. I wouldnt personally run it with a ball hitch for very long but it would work in a pinch.

Really my main fascination is that you could go away with the clevis and run a big pin through a strap loop. Alot of people who dont have a good secure mounting point will cram a strap up in the reciver tube and pin it there. This would make that task much easier. Plus you could use it in a fix for pintle/utility hitches as well.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I could see using it that way if it was mounted sideways so that the pin wouldn't drag. But I would stray from the cushioned version. the extra movement would increase failure risk for the hardware.

I would think that it wouldn't be ideal for a ball hitch as it would be a lifted ball constantly, and mos of our trucks are slightly over stock height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke