show us your truck bed trailers

corleykj

IMG_6946.jpg
Trying to post the picture correctly.

I am selling the box off this trailer to someone who needs to restore his Ford Stepside truck. I am going to be left with an 11' 3" long trailer, with an 8' long frame to build a box on (probably metal, maybe wood). I love building projects. I have access to a woodshop and welding shop to fabricate a box for it. The debate is do I leave the trailer this length or shorten it up?

Last edited:

corleykj

That is a really nice trailer frame and axle build! I did the opposite since I didn't have much money. I sold the 56 Ford stepside from my trailer to make some money. Then decided I would try throwing some lumber on the truck bed frame and use it for a dump trailer and to pull short distances into the mountains when I need. It handles much better over bumps with truck springs and shocks compared to short trailer springs that I have experienced in the past. Sometime I want to build a frame and axle set up like yours.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 77

Beimpermissible

Pre-camper build

After almost buying a tow-behind bed-trailer a few times over the years (most recently in Anchorage, when I got fed up with the stupid roof box that kept wanting to pop open on rolling bumps in the Yukon), I picked this little guy up off the side of the road in Nevada a few days ago. I wasn't sure how it would pull, so I drove it over the Sierras in a snowstorm. It did okay going up, and better coming down :).

Full-size PU bed with 8-lug wheels and 33" tires, so it actually rides a little too high for my '98 Tahoe with stock wheels and just a helper spring to keep the rear leaf springs at attention.

It's a lot of work for my little 5.7L Tahoe to drag this thing behind, at least on the steep uphill, but I don't have money to put into swapping in a trailer axle, etc. My next focus is on sealing a few small holes and around the wheel wells and side seams in the bed (an old Dodge, the guy who sold it to me thought), spraying in bedliner, installing a floating vinyl floor, and (I think probably) putting in reflectix insulation all above the bed rails. Trying to stay light and make it warm.

Tout suite, too, because I need to be on the road and camping in Oregon in under a week! Love this thread, by the way; thanks all.

Attachments

• 20170228_122500.jpg
    20170228_122500.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20170228_152323.jpg
    20170228_152323.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 91

cheepsk8

Observer
My low buck low tech build

Feast your eyes on this! Ive already started a build thread on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    497.9 KB · Views: 55

(none)

Adventurer
Bringing it back up top. From a few weeks ago. It's been a great little trailer, need to throw on a new bed though this one is getting rusty.

20170413_130614_zpsbqfqf427.jpg

20170414_075802_zpsyuzb4ozt.jpg

20170414_075935_zpsf62rz2uo.jpg

Uncle Fester

I just did a fast look through this thread, and it re-emforces my desire to build a utility bed trailer, and have gathered some good ideas for it here !

I do have a question for those who still have a truck axle under their trailer. . . . Has anyone considered mounting a pulley where the U-Joint would be, and mount a one wire alternator back there to charge some "house" batteries in the trailer ? Just a idea . . . .

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Uncle Fester said:
I do have a question for those who still have a truck axle under their trailer. . . . Has anyone considered mounting a pulley where the U-Joint would be, and mount a one wire alternator back there to charge some "house" batteries in the trailer ? Just a idea . . . .

Very much actually. It was suppose to be one of my first of the season projects, but we're working on getting a house, where we've been so busy/stressed with that process that I've forgotten about it. I've been trying to find a crank pulley for a good price over the winter to do this, but no luck so far.

There are kits to mount an alternator on the rear housing for Ford 9 inch rear axles, but they are not cheap. A kit with bracket, yoke with pulley, alternator, and hardware is around $500. Brackets usually $100 and a yoke with pulley is $100-$200. If someone was handy enough then maybe they could make a setup more economical. My first thoughts are since you are not using a driveshaft would be mounting a pulley on the face of the yoke where the U-Joint straps or U-Bolts were fastened. Then it would be a making a bracket with spacers to mount and align the alternator. Overall I do think solar would be a better way to go as it is always charging. It would not need to be large maybe 120 watts or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior