Meat Grinder: How to buy?

Project510

Adventurer
Im a big fan of the show "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. It's a great mix of Science, History and of course cooking! Anyways, I watched an old episode the other day called " A grind is a terrible thing to waste."

Which reminded me that I have always wanted to grind my own meat for hamburgers and meatloaf. The episode does a good job of showing those less informed about what meat to use (like myself) but does not really get into what grinder to purchase.

Obviously I want something manual since I am normally cooking for myself so a lot of meat will not be necessary. The usual scan of Amazon and Google shopping brings up an aray of made in china grinder from cast iron to stainless with all diff kinds of cutters and shapes.. its a bit much haha.

I put together a list of some things I think I would "like" in a grinder

• Be able to dissasemble for better cleaning
  • Made in USA
  • Clamp on would be better, Cant drill in counter since I rent
  • New or Used doesnt matter, although vintage is cool

Anyone out there grind there own meat?

Cody1771

Explorer
any chance you have a kitchenaid stand mixer? you can buy a pretty nice meatgrinder attachment, and while your at it get the ravioli press and make home made ravioli... mmmm

Project510

Adventurer
My sister in law does. I suppose I could buy the attatchment for her, and then just borrow it on occasion, but that would eventually get annoying haha.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
If you have a Scheels Sporting Goods store they have a very good selection of meat grinders (better than Cabelas). FWIW: I've owned and used the KitchenAid meat grinder attachment for 20+ years and its OK; but you can't vary the grind and as mentioned above its best when grinding a few pounds at best; and the plastic housing on mine is cracked...but I can't complain, really, with the amount of use its seen over the years. But the trip to Scheels is just around the corner ;)

http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp...acetTerm=Shop&searchTerm=meat+grinder&x=0&y=0

Last edited:

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Sounds like this is what you may be interested in. The one on the left was bought in the '30's when my folks were married. I still use it. The larger one -Enterprise Food Chopper is even older. They totally come apart for cleaning and have a selection of blades. Bet you can find them in resale or second hand shops. Also try restaurant supply stores.

Lehman's Hardware Store in Ohio carries many types of meat grinders .
Here's an example:

https://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitch...rs___Stainless_Steel__10_Meat_Grinder___37350

Last edited:

Project510

Adventurer
Nice Bruce! Just what I am looking for! Ill have to go check around locally and see if I can find something.

enfuegoinc

There a some decent sites for Meat Grinders; One new is: http://www.Meatgrindernnow.com
I always go with an electric grinder:
TSM__10_Electric_Meat_Grinder.jpg
;
http://www.meatgrindersnow.com/catalog/item/8171010/8956116.htm
Check the selection, many brands mentioned are available free shipping and at lower cost too!

alpinetrout

I have a clamp-on model and have got to say I'm not a big fan. It constantly needs to be retightened, especially if you're clamping with a pad or something to prevent destroying whatever it is you're clamping to (since you mentioned you rent). I think a hand grinder that could be mounted to a sturdy base - maybe something that doubled as a heavy cutting board - would be a better way to go.

mesha

Observer
I got mine at costco. It is electric so not exactly what you are looking for, but it works wonderfully. I make my own bratts at home with it. I add pork trimmings to the mixture to give them a little fat. After using a friends hand crank I decided electric was for me. Too much work to crank. If you are using prime cuts of meat to turn into burger then it wont be to bad.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Check out LEM Products. They have a sizable lineup of meat processing equipment, and stand behind their products.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with the company.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Check out LEM Products. They have a sizable lineup of meat processing equipment, and stand behind their products.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with the company.

I like, on all but their least expensive unit, their new Big Bite special auger! When grinding right to sausage that would be super for those times your SO has something better to do than help you make sausage :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles