New bike advice

eodmark

I've been out of the game for a while but I am looking to get a new bike for touring about the country side. I am looking for some advice on narrowing down my choices. I plan on doing mostly street and dirt roads with some mild trails thrown in the mix. I am looking at the Kawasaki KLR 650, Suzuki DR650 and the Honda XR 650. I know the KLR has a big following but haven't heard much on the other two. Thanks for the help.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Of course, I've never owned, or even ridden, any of these three bikes, but they are three of my four current choices for a replacement bike. I'm also considering a WeeStrom DL650. Here is my take based on many review on the three you've listed:

KLR - Most comfortable of the three, oldest technology (weak brakes, lame front suspension), aircooled (good and bad), most wind protection, most highway capable, large stock tank.. Everyone I know that has one has heavily modified theirs to fit there style, the aftermarket is strong, most people are not happy keeping them in stock form.

DR - small tank, feels way lighter than the KLR, more trail friendly. Less comfortable seat, small gas tank (both fixable), not nearly as much wind protection. low-tech (= good to me) and a proven cooling system without a damage prone radiator. Also has a lower seat height from what I've read.

XR (I assume you mean the L and not the R) - Much more dirtbike than the DR or KLR, more power, much less comfortable. I'm not sure what the aftermarket is like compared to the DR and KLR, but I'm sure most of it's shortcoming can be corrected as you discover them.

For back country touring, the KLR is probably the most comfortable. It's a proven platform, plenty of aftermarket, and most setup for that out of the box. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal, but the doohickey, weak brakes, suspension and the shimmed valves (plus reports of crappy brackets and rusty hardware) have me leaning away from it, but it's still a possibility. I'm looking for a bike that is dirtable (mild double track and lots of dirt/gravel roads), but not super agressive offroad, can jump on the interstate if needed, and is comfortable at 55mph. The DR can be that, if needed. All three could be that, if needed, but I've already got a smaller bike that I'm setting up for more aggressive riding, which has me coming back to the VStrom every time I think about it. A 6 speed transmission (the KLR, DR and XR are all 5 speeds) has me liking the V, and while I like simply bikes, the EFI is very reliable on the Strom. I think I would ride more with a greater variety of people than I currently do on the V as well; I tend to ride solo or with more dirt going friends mostly, but a ton of coworkers ride cruisers that I don't feel like winding my 250 out to hang with. Sorry, go off topic on your own bike choice!

Hope that helps more than it confuses!

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think that's a pretty good assessment by Sandalscout. I don't have any of the bikes listed, although I had decided on a DR650 prior to getting my XChallenge. All three bikes are very reliable and have some very minor quirks. Don't let anybody tell you any one of them is a bad bike.

The only thing I would add is size. If you are a larger individual, say over 6 feet, the KLR ad XR-L may be a better fit. I'm a fair bit shy of 6 feet, so the DR was the best fit for me. I think it's more than seat height (the listed seat height for a DR is only .2" shorter than a KLR, and both are far shorter than my G650X). But I can tell you, sitting on them there is a world of difference. The KLR feels a lot bigger. It's less of a factor on the highway, and may actually be a advantage at speed. But just throwing a leg over, my feeling was that I would rather have a Versys or V-Strom. But I think for taller riders, it's less cumbersome and less cramped than the DR.

Buy whatever one feels right and be confident that you won't be making a bad decision regardless which one you pick.

RR1

Explorer
Of those three choices...XR650 with the powerup kit, and perhaps forks off a CRF 450.

One of THE best all-round ADV bike setups. Can pound slab, Baja whoops, and in the right hands you can single track it as well. These bikes were built for racing Baja, very stable at speed.

Pretty much setup like this, but I would loose the under seat tank, and throw on Giant Loop bag, then go exploring.

RRXR650F.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
Disclosure first: I have a '07 KLR.

"Back when" I was shopping I focused on 650cc thumpers for: simplicity, moderate weight, ability to hold highway speeds when loaded, aftermarket support for the essentials (luggage, engine protection plates/bars). Price was not a big issue for me.

Some other brands fell by the wayside due to complexity. I urge anyone looking at a MC to consider cost/time/sweat involved in simple routine work. Read what is required for a oil change, valve adjustment or swapping a battery. The draw of a "famous logo"...wears off fast if a simple oil change takes a lot of tools, time and work.

On your list all three are great starting platforms for a thumper adventure bike. I've seen great bikes set up by owners on various forums proving that any of the 3 could suit anybodys goals.

I looked for a used, well cared for bike, set up reasonably well. I found a used KLR on C-List and got it. It is coming to the fall now...start looking around...they pop up and go quick.

The KLR already comes with the big tank and a pretty good fairing/windshield (for my height). Those were big $$ add ons for both the other bikes....but what really made me jump was that the MC I found had all the needed work already done...dohickey, protection, etc. A good used bike already set up and selling at a fair price is a great way to get on the road. My bikes previous owner was very conflicted at selling...but wanted to get two dirt only bikes...so I got a good set up bike at a fair price.

sandalscout

Adventurer
It is coming to the fall now...start looking around...they pop up and go quick.

A good used bike already set up and selling at a fair price is a great way to get on the road.

So true. For many reasons, my XT was purchased new, but on my next bike purchase, I will most likely buy used. I saw a late 90s/early 00s DR650 with seat, windshield, bigger tank, skid plate, handguards and rack with 2 pelicans for sale this summer for $2000. I don't recall the mileage, but had I had the cash, I would have been all over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94