Review: Morocco The Desert Pistes

gjackson

FRGS
I promised to post a review of roamingyak.org's DVD: Morocco The Desert Pistes. Earlier discussion of this was in a different thread:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130&page=2

It is a well filmed and presented travelogue of 10 pistes in Morocco over a 6 month period. Darin selected a series of pistes that made a nice journey all the way across Morocco, dipping very close to the Algerian border and also covering both mountains and desert terrain. A great way to wet the appetite for some Atlas and Sahara travel. Darin’s filming is excellent especially considering that he did it all himself, and I was continually amazed at how much time it must have taken him to set up the shots, film, and then come back for the camera! His narrative is subdued, informative and somewhat like a journal. He gives some short background clips in various places, and often stops to survey the scenery, the animals and the people. The entire movie is taken up with the pistes, and there is no information about getting to Morocco or setting up vehicles for this kind of travel. That is not a criticism as Darrin is obviously aiming this at people who are familiar with off highway travel or those who prefer to travel from the armchair and don’t need to be bothered with the details. Don’t mistake this for rock-crawling either. This is overlanding in Morocco at its best on established and sometimes improved roads, but is by no means trivial stuff. The beauty of the country and the friendliness of the people there come across very well. I would have liked a tour of the Land Rover, but that may be because I’m a LR nut as well! I highly recommend it.

cheers

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
watched mine last week ...

I received my copy and watched it this last week. It is a very pleasant 75-minutes and Darrin is a chap that you'd feel comfortable doing such an adventure with - and a nice, subtle sense of humor.

Morocco is a beautiful land and Darrin gives a good overview of the pistes (a word I'd never heard until I saw this sight).

Support Darrin and get a copy ... you'll enjoy it,

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online