How to build a quality awning for less than $100

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I may & try to build one using some waterproof rip-stop silnylon and have to check into support poles.

I was thinking of having a bag the assembly rolls up into and this could be then attached to the vehicles roof rack in some fashion [kind of like pop-up campers have in theory]

Token

Explorer
hhmmm.. Interesting.. Think I've got all that stuff in the garage other than the bimini thingys.. Of course the roof rack on the top of my H3 isn't 8ft long.. However the trailer I've been thinking about sticking something on is 6ft long, so an 8ft long awning might fly.. The poles are supposed to stretch out to 8ft.. Never checked to see if they do or not..

If you're looking for a temporary mount rather than having to screw the contraption to your rack/truck/trailer.. Attach 3 or 4 mini quick fist clamps to whatever you want it to hand onto and strap the thing on with those..

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Nice job. I had thought about doing something similar but really cheaping out and using cpvc pipe and cheap blue tarps. Fastening it to my roof rack with cable ties. Extra cheesy version.

Something like this?

I've been there...and seen the light...and for very few more $$ and actually less time, I've upgraded.

You can too...and that picture above gives you a small idea of what is to come :coffeedrink:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I may & try to build one using some waterproof rip-stop silnylon and have to check into support poles.

I was thinking of having a bag the assembly rolls up into and this could be then attached to the vehicles roof rack in some fashion [kind of like pop-up campers have in theory]

hmmm, a bag or other way to protect your cheap but quality awning from the elements?

I might have an idea :)

and it might cost somewhere around $30.05, be waterproof, and not look like you bought it off the shelf at Goodwill :)

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
hhmmm.. Interesting.. Think I've got all that stuff in the garage other than the bimini thingys.. Of course the roof rack on the top of my H3 isn't 8ft long.. However the trailer I've been thinking about sticking something on is 6ft long, so an 8ft long awning might fly.. The poles are supposed to stretch out to 8ft.. Never checked to see if they do or not..

If you are willing to wait, I can guarantee I will have a solution so that an 8' awning fits nicely on your 6' rack, without looking like it's sticking out :)

Here are two teasers:

If you're looking for a temporary mount rather than having to screw the contraption to your rack/truck/trailer.. Attach 3 or 4 mini quick fist clamps to whatever you want it to hand onto and strap the thing on with those..

I heard quick fists were the bomb! Then I bought a couple and used them for a custom bike rack on my truck and after less than a year in the sun they had decayed so much one of the mounts broke, just randomly. YMMV but I'm not sold on quick fists anymore as anything other than a disposable item (re-usable zipties might be a better alternative if you want a temporary mount).

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I can't wait cuz it's pretty good already!:lurk:

After watching your video, it's not nearly as ghetto as I imagined.

Nicely done!:beer:

Thanks!

Version 1 was horrible, version two was a failure, version 3 worked barely, and this is version 4. Versions 4.1 (addendum), 5 (rear), 6 (driver), and 7 (shower) will all hopefully be just as inexpensive, easy to build, and not-ghetto.

When all is said and done, I expect to be in this for less than $500, have 270 degree coverage, shower enclosure, screen room, reasonable level of weather protection (sun and rain), and not look like I built the whole thing in my garage.

and to make things even better, my brother and I have already started working on Series 2...a little more expensive, requires some welding capability, but is 100% ground-independent :) But that will be after the Hollister Rally...for now my goal is to finish v4-7 by October.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Awesome stuff. Some serious genius rising above all those suds....
Interesting pole-locking devices in your previous thread...def'ly looking forward to the future editions. I'm planning a shower hanging off the rear lift hatch of my Xterra, so I'm hoping there'll be some applicability there, somehow,too.

EDIT to add: How 'bout incorporating something like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6653a21/=dqmsjx
Item # 6653A21

This could be either (A) helpful or (B) dangerous when you've had too many beers and you're trying to pack away the awning.

Last edited:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Awesome stuff. Some serious genius rising above all those suds....
Interesting pole-locking devices in your previous thread...def'ly looking forward to the future editions. I'm planning a shower hanging off the rear lift hatch of my Xterra, so I'm hoping there'll be some applicability there, somehow,too.

EDIT to add: How 'bout incorporating something like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6653a21/=dqmsjx
Item # 6653A21

This could be either (A) helpful or (B) dangerous when you've had too many beers and you're trying to pack away the awning.

Haha, that's great! My neighbor has been joking when he wins the lottery he's going to buy me a Sunsetter awning.

I think the only thing wrong with those is the cost - some are more than the price of the awning itself!!

theindian

Observer
Nice job on the awning evildave, I started to make my own awning a couple of months ago was useing Mr.longarm painter poles which are alum. and extend to 8ft and some alum. 3/4 angle had about $90 tied upto that point I was going with a side shade awning which was 6"x 12" from a patio canipy that i had to replace so i had 2 of those was going to have the wife sew them together and i had several foldup lawn chair carrying bags with the straps that i was going to sew togther and put a zipperin for a cover I think with the free canopy top i would been in around $140 with stainless hardware. I oppted out when i got a arb awning for about $70 more. Another idea I built was a canopy swingarm so i could move it to the back of truck as well.
IMG00395-20110704-1418.jpg

IMG00413-20110705-1420.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Nice job on the awning evildave, I started to make my own awning a couple of months ago was useing Mr.longarm painter poles which are alum. and extend to 8ft and some alum. 3/4 angle had about $90 tied upto that point I was going with a side shade awning which was 6"x 12" from a patio canipy that i had to replace so i had 2 of those was going to have the wife sew them together and i had several foldup lawn chair carrying bags with the straps that i was going to sew togther and put a zipperin for a cover I think with the free canopy top i would been in around $140 with stainless hardware. I oppted out when i got a arb awning for about $70 more. Another idea I built was a canopy swingarm so i could move it to the back of truck as well.

I'd looked at the Mr Longarm too...couldn't find any at the local HD/Lowes in 4-8', just 3-6' which wasn't long enough for what I was planning.

I LOVE your swingarm setup...I remember seeing that elsewhere on here (or maybe one of the Hummer forums?). Some serious ingenuity there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94