How to build a quality awning for less than $100

spikolli

Thanks Dave!

So I built one for my Subaru forester. AWESOME! Worth the time and money. The one change I made is that I used a 6x8 tarp as that is what my roofline allows. I also use bicycle toe straps (just the straps and not the plastic basket) to secure the tarp and poles while on the road. When set up I use the straps to tie down the side grommets to the side poles to make it a bit more wind stable.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Inspired by this thread a couple of years ago I too built an awning using a 6x8 tarp. Additionally I also constructed a protective cover out of PVC coated polyester fabric:

74e7aeecaf77ed10e5ec9ebad2365985.jpg

72c2264c7d2ed76756c171a25cb16040.jpg

1fe090ae0d98f8259d781ec007e32b88.jpg

a32c1798037a46789e6fcb4347b680ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

silkroad

Inspired by this thread a couple of years ago I too built an awning using a 6x8 tarp. Additionally I also constructed a protective cover out of PVC coated polyester fabric:

74e7aeecaf77ed10e5ec9ebad2365985.jpg

Was thinking the same for the awning cover. How is that working out? Anything tricky to look out for?

Chips

Mothertrucker
I couldn't find anywhere to get the bimini stuff cheap, so I had to improvise. I think these hinges cost me about $1.50 each.

Get yourself the following stuff. This is based on 3/4" conduit for the frame.

• 2no 1/4" x 2 1/2" eye bolt.
  • 2no 1/4" x 3" eye bolt.
  • 6no 1" washer with 7/32" hole.
  • 2no 1" x 10/32" bolt.
  • 2no 10/32" lock nuts.
  • Whatever you can find lying around to use as a bushing. I used some rubber hose wrapped in duct tape until I can find something more suitable.

IMAG0409.jpg

Cut your bushing material to the same thickness as the eye bolts. You'll need 4 of them. Basically all it needs to do is keep the bolt centred through the middle of the eye bolts. Pop the bushing into the eye bolts.

IMAG0410.jpg

Start assembling the whole thing. The order is bolt, washer, eye bolt (with bushing), washer, eye bolt (with bushing), washer, lock nut.

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

Then tighten down the lock but until there is as little wobble as possible but you can still easily rotate the hinge.

IMAG0415.jpg

And you're done!

I'll be using the longer side of the hinge screwed into some wooden dowel fitted into the end of the conduit 'arm', with the shorter side bolted through the conduit mounted on the vehicle.

hidperf

I just finished building one of these but now I need to mount it. I was thinking of using 4 Mini Quick Fist clamps.

I know it says that each clamp will support 25lbs, and this awning doesn't weight anywhere near 100lbs, but what about the additional force when traveling down the highway at 70-75mph?
I plan on attaching these to my rack with 4-5 #10 stainless bolt per Quick Fist.

Speaking of going down the highway. Once you mount this to your vehicle, and secure it rolled up, how do you keep air from getting in and ballooning the awning? Do you put something over the front edge of the awning, like a bag or something?

Shadow503

I just finished building one of these but now I need to mount it. I was thinking of using 4 Mini Quick Fist clamps.

I know it says that each clamp will support 25lbs, and this awning doesn't weight anywhere near 100lbs, but what about the additional force when traveling down the highway at 70-75mph?
I plan on attaching these to my rack with 4-5 #10 stainless bolt per Quick Fist.

Speaking of going down the highway. Once you mount this to your vehicle, and secure it rolled up, how do you keep air from getting in and ballooning the awning? Do you put something over the front edge of the awning, like a bag or something?

I followed the directions here, and mine didn't need it. I roll it up tight and use 4 small bungee cords to keep it closed. No noticeable wind noise or ballooning problems.

hidperf

I followed the directions here, and mine didn't need it. I roll it up tight and use 4 small bungee cords to keep it closed. No noticeable wind noise or ballooning problems.

I'll get to test that tonight. I've got 4 bungees ready.

Fingers crossed on the 4 Quick Fists!

Laurits

Very funny, evldave. Hopefully I'll still be alive when you publish the pictures and the final instructions. :elkgrin:

silkroad

I rigged up one of these beauties and it saved us a bunch of times from downpours and sun through our 8 months on the road. But I had to take it off once and put it back and on and since then it sags in the middle collecting water. I tried tweaking the install a few times to try to tighten up the fabric but nothing has worked so far. I Used the same canvas as originally suggested; doesn't seem to be the cheap type that would stretch. So I think I have an adjustment problem somewhere. Are others having the same problem? Any suggestions? btw. I ditched the god awful coleman tent poles for aluminum tent poles from Cabelas. Much lighter and easier to work with.
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 1.57.38 AM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior