F-650 4x4 - OK with air suspension?

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Hi Guys,

Some of you may have been following our designs for our Round-the-World vehicle based on the F-650 chassis.

We're now in the final stages of buying the chassis to start the build-up and have hit a hitch and I need experienced opinions...

Due to the ULSD Diesel challenges (see the other thread in HD forum) we've decided to buy a slightly used 2006 / 2007 F-650 chassis with the older CAT C7 engine.

We've just found a 'perfect fit' candidate, except that it has the AirBag Suspension, instead of the Leaf Springs that we had always been planning on.

We will be converting this crew-cab truck to a full 4x4 with A/T tires, winches, etc. It will be going around the world and seeing a lot of off-road duty.

SO, the question is:
  • How much worse / better is air suspension going to be?
  • Should this be a deal-breaker for this chassis? (i.e. - find another one)
  • How much articulation / robustness can you get from airbag?
  • Is the system too complex / risky to take around the world vs. leaf springs?
One person told me that you just carry a spare airbag, and replacing a bag is a lot easier than trying to build/replace a leaf spring.

Any opinions? Thanks!
Jay.

(Duplicate Post in the Domestic Full-Size Forum - Sorry, Not sure where this one should go)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior