Watches - ExPo Style

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
Rolex has been retired; Timex Expedition Indiglo fills the bill for me

• I've always been rough on my watches, never removing them when I should've, so I've learned which ones were best-suited for my activities/lifestyle. As a teen, I wore cheap Bulova Caravelles, which I would break at least twice a year, but just kept getting another (everybody had Timex watches, a few rich ones had Bulova Accutrons, so mine were a compromise). Later on, I made a quantum leap forward in watch style, durability, and value, in a really good deal.
  • I traded a single-shot shotgun, some work on his Mustang, and two bottles of Chivas Regal to a friend, back in '71, for a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust. I was with him and his father back in '64, when he bought it in a pawnshop for $125. They would often shop-hop, to see what they could find, and each had several good watches. I always liked his Rolex, and wheedled him into selling it to me. I wore that Rolex everywhere, even waterskiing, and even lost in once, after a jump. Several of us went back to the ski jump, and I actually found it, in 10+ feet of murky water, just by pure luck (I never wore it on water again). But, I wore it daily, for all purposes, including while working on cars. I would scratch it up pretty bad, so every 2-3 years I would take it to the Rolex-authorized repair jeweler to have it re-furbished, to like new. Then, I discovered Casio G-Shocks.
  • While still using the Rolex as my dress watch, I shifted to G-Shocks as my new daily wear watches. I would always manage to destroy them anyway, so only a couple ever survived long enough to get a second battery, but some received 2-3 replacement bands. I also would just retire one, occasionally, if I bought another G-Shock with better/newest features. And each succeeding one became more expensive.
  • I wore a watch I received as a bonus from work, for 35 years service (at that time; I expected better from them when I would retire, though). It broke after three years, and the jeweler said it wasn't so good as to repair it, so I resumed using G-Shocks. -By the way, I received squat- no gold Rolex- from my employer, when I retired 11 years later; cheap bastards-
  • Now, retired, not so rough on watches anymore, I needed a watch I could see well in both light and dark, and at a throwaway price (those Casios are a lot more expensive now), so I spotted a $25 Timex Expedition Indiglo at Wal-mart, that was just what I needed. The vintage 60-year-old Rolex stays in my drawer, growing more valuable, only coming out for special occasions, and the cheap Timex goes everywhere else. It's my replacement for the throwaway Caravelles I wore as a teen, but tougher, easier to read, and definitely a better watch for me, now.
  • Rolex to Timex progression.jpg
    Timex serves my needs, while Rolex becomes a vintage timepiece

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
Mine is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch and it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. It retails for $6,950, but I picked it up in a Philadelphia pawn shop for $50....Having a sense of humor sucks when no one gets it.........................
I got the joke, but only on my second reading of it. At first, I thought it was just another Snow Peak addict talking about his latest watch....

FJOE

Regular Dude
ExPo watches... let's see

1976 Seiko 6309 on 4 ring Zulu (now retired on Hirsch Liberty)
-Angola
-DRC
-Afghanistan
-Israel

2005 Marathon TSAR with custom bezel on 4 ring Zulu
-All my time in the military
-Southside Chicago
-France
-Belgium
-Nigeria
-Afghanistan
-Israel

Suunto Core on 4 ring Zulu
-Angola
-DRC
-Iraq
-Afghanistan
-Nepal
-Israel

I have a few more, but these 3 mean the most to me.

dixie1865

Observer
Mine is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch and it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. It retails for $6,950, but I picked it up in a Philadelphia pawn shop for $50.

I got a good laugh out of it. A couple of the guys at work and I like to throw in quotes from movies throughout the day. Unfortunately, while we are chuckling at ourselves, the younger guys are looking at us like we are crazy.

Expo watch for me is my Citizen Nighthawk A/T

-Solar powered = no dead batteries
-Atomic timekeeping with adjustment in five time zones
-Rated for 660ft Water resistance

Best part to me is the Sapphire glass. I worked maintenance at a Zoo as well as animal care assistant and many other labor intensive jobs such as furniture crafting, general contracting, landscaping, framing... the list goes on. But the watch face looks brand new after 4 years of owning it. I hated buying typical watches for their shock resistance and durability, yet after 5min of owning it, the face would get beat up.

Go from work, to a business meeting or out to a nice restaurant, and the watch is suitable for any setting.

Only thing as a 'negative' is that sometimes I wish it didn't have that nice look to it, though it's hard to tell most watches apart in the eyes of a mugger so any watch being worn in the right place at the right time is subject to theft.

The Filson brand is pretty appealing, though I've also worn my share of Timex and G-shock.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
ooooo nighthawk. I want the blue angels edition of that. I have my order in for my birthday or Christmas with DW for one.

krick3tt

Adventurer
My every day and expo watch is from Sportsman guide for $23. Cannot figure how someone can spend more on a watch than a vehicle. Time is told on radios, in vehicles, on iPhones, on billboards, and by looking at the sun. How can one spend $10000 for a watch? Makes no sense to me.

4xdog

Explorer
My every day and expo watch is from Sportsman guide for $23. Cannot figure how someone can spend more on a watch than a vehicle. Time is told on radios, in vehicles, on iPhones, on billboards, and by looking at the sun. How can one spend $10000 for a watch? Makes no sense to me.

I tend to spend a good bit more than $10000 on my vehicles. Considerably less on my watches, even considering a Rolex Submariner at about $2900 twenty-plus years ago. That watch has been very satisfying to own all that time, has worked flawlessly, and could be resold were I so inclined for more than I paid for it. I can't say that about any of the vehicles...

That makes sense to me, but I won't ask it to make sense to others! :)

perterra

Adventurer

Heck I cant figure out why someone would drive a land rover. Different strokes, different folks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles