UP Overland 2011

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
4416167b.jpg

TJ and his helper unpacking camp.

2ea866f5.jpg

Savannah and Sawyer at a stop in the old town of Freda

e326823c.jpg

Shaun and Matt from Hope Alive Media. They look a little rough around the edges but great guys, often covered in dust and grime from shooting from the top of vehicles or hanging out the back of their Tundra.

3122e1d5.jpg

Alyssa leading morning yoga. Had a few first timers trying it out and you couldn't ask for more scenic backdrops for it.

9abdbdf6.jpg

Taking a lunch stop on the streets of historic Calumet.

6ba9703e.jpg

Lunch at the Red Jacket Brewing Company in Calumet, a must do. Shaun, Matt, Doc Meredith, yogi Alyssa.

5afe932d.jpg

Some of the braver folks opted to follow me up to an overlook off of Cliff Drive that was a fun, rocky, muddy climb.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
90b86c57.jpg

Brendan and Wendy on the way back down from the Cliff Drive overlook.

bb50b62c.jpg

Tom before his morning coffee

390f5f23.jpg

Mike and Teddi's 40 on top of Brockway Mountain.

d2dc7c75.jpg

Portrait of the shooter, Shaun from Hope Alive Media on Brockway

ae53f6cc.jpg

After stopping at the Jampot for some goods, we walked around the monastarery and the rocky shoreline of Superior in front of it. This is looking northwest towards Sand Bay.

8be63225.jpg

Alyssa on Brockway

ac56a8a8.jpg

Shaun framing a shot

8829f92a.jpg

Driving along Brockway.

46a49e36.jpg

Evening reflections on the drive out to High Rock Point

81e1baf7.jpg

The wild ones hanging out around camp at High Rock

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
cc19ebb2.jpg

Our camp at High Rock

639014df.jpg

The essence of what it is all about. Joe is the man. Top down most of the trip, even windshield down, his two kids and showing us all what it is really about. No fancy RTT's, trick suspensions, fridges, AC, Snow Peak titanium toilette paper holders, just an unfiltered, pure experience and likely some lifelong memories. Awesome.

1fdfbfe8.jpg

Hope Alive Media doing there thing capturing camp life.

2aabe0e5.jpg

The view from the top of the Bare Bluff's hike. A 200 foot sheer cliff above Lake Superior affords a pretty spectacular view.

c0ba5827.jpg

My ever cheery codriver on Bare Bluffs.

9e5cb75b.jpg

The trail is steep and technical in sections

1f92b9cc.jpg

Hiking along the base of the cliffs.

db57044b.jpg

Pulled off along the infamous stamp sands of Gay beach.

ea003ce9.jpg

Alyssa took a turn behind the wheel driving on the small dunes, she couldn't wipe the smile off her face.

ce637ceb.jpg

The beach at night three's camp, the mouth of the Huron River. Yes, it really is THAT amazing.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
ca107627.jpg

Grilling up some dinner at camp on the beach.

3c696e45.jpg

We had a large, group bonfire at the Huron River camp.

a7f42f30.jpg

Dawn looking out at the Huron Islands.

990047c4.jpg

Alyssa with Savannah and Colt.

341a6e1f.jpg

The aftermath of the trip, one dirty truck, some great memories, some new friends, and the desire to get back out there again soon!

bluedog

Adventurer
This is a great shot, kinda reminds me of an album cover.

6ba9703e.jpg

Lunch at the Red Jacket Brewing Company in Calumet, a must do. Shaun, Matt, Doc Meredith, yogi Alyssa.

Just in case I haven't said it already, thanks to you and Tom for putting this together. It was great to ride with you and meet your east coast friends. The brothers are awesome.
B

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
This is a great shot, kinda reminds me of an album cover.

Just in case I haven't said it already, thanks to you and Tom for putting this together. It was great to ride with you and meet your east coast friends. The brothers are awesome.
B

Thanks bud! Thank YOU so much for the bike first aid... and almost the real kind. haha My thumb is still pretty tweaked, haven't had a chance to go get it checked out yet! Can't wait to get back on my bike though. Hope you guys can get a break to sneak up here in October still. Would be a blast.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
And I was the 2nd alternate this year....man looks like a blast. Next year I need to be a part of this. Please remember us alternate guys next year. Hopefully the list will stay the same for next year.

ticketmagnet

I think this article is by the Marquette couple who hung out with us at High Rock Bay for a while. Looks like a pretty good introduction to UPO, but I did question this statement:
We're not talking souped-up 4x4 trucks that have 33-inch tires mounted to them and a "deer-slayer" grill guard welded onto the front end.
The have displayed both mentioned items in their pictures. But everyone will still get the point.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
LOL am I allowed with the group next year if I have 35s??

There is already a big Swede probably going, me! j/k.

I was just over in Sweden back in June for a couple weeks. Its a long story I cannot tell yet. My great-grandparents were from Eskilstuna and Orebro. There are some relatives over here right now from Orebro as a matter of fact.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I would love to go to Sweden, hope to soon.

My grandparents were from Oland and Smoland, they met over here.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I was in that area. Very nice. The landscape of Sweden reminded me sooo much of the UP. I can understand why a lot of Scandanavians settled there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94