MB 1017 based rig

dhackney

Expedition Leader
We came across this rig in Bryce Canyon NP. It is piloted by a very pleasant couple, Elke and Axel, from Freiburg, Germany.

Axel told me the chassis is a 26 year old ex-German Army truck. It is a 4x4 chassis. I don't remember the GVWR Axel told me, but I believe it was >20 tons.

The rig was built by a one-man custom shop in Germany, including the cabin. I did not get the information on the builder.

They plan to spend the next year or so in North America.

2007-06-27-SD800%20IS-IMG_3316-crop-small.jpg

2007-06-27-SD800%20IS-IMG_3317-crop-small.jpg

Tennmogger

Explorer
I just came across a truck chassis like this today, an MB 1017A (4x4 turbo) at Colorado Unimogs <unimogrob@yahoo.com>. Quite a vehicle! It had been in the US military and is very low mileage. Didn't price it because I didn't want to be tempted!!! Sure could be made into a nice camper like the one shown here!

Bob (no financial interest, btw)

We came across this rig in Bryce Canyon NP. It is piloted by a very pleasant couple, Elke and Axel, from Freiburg, Germany.

Axel told me the chassis is a 26 year old ex-German Army truck. It is a 4x4 chassis. I don't remember the GVWR Axel told me, but I believe it was >20 tons.

Joe

Observer
Hi,

the MB 1017A chassis incl. motor, axles, cabine etc. but without the support frame has ~5,5 tons (metric).
If it has 169HP it is the 352A motor with 5,6 liter.

Mercedes are normally not a cheap buy (definetely not here in Europe) because they sell it a lot to Africa etc. because of the excellent spares support (can only underline it, even now with 28 years old 1217A I simply go to Mercedes and still can get (nearly) every part.
The only limitation so far was the snorcle or better the cyclone part (that part which ends on the upper part of the window) which came from MANN - all the rest orignally made from Mercedes is still available.
2008_04_fertig_05.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne