Max coupler

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
So I am currently in the begging stages of building two multi purpose expedition trailers. I want to build two couplers/hitch similar to the max coupler, I have a good idea of how I want to do them but I was wondering if the max coupler was serviceable. Meaning, inside the two inch square tube. Is there a nut or is it welder so u can't replace a bushing if it gets loose? Or is it a close tolerance steel on steel with no bushing. I want to use a bushing that is completely serviceable and rebuildable. Any info from someone that has one or any pictures would be awesome. I work in a very large fab shop and have access to anything I would need to build it properly so that's not an issue. Thanks

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
There was a thread on here recently where SWAG Off Road (Oregon company if I remember correctly) built one for a client. If you go check out their website or find the thread, they did a step by step (with photos) portion building one

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm a big fan of home builders, and if you are going to use this coupler off road only then I think it's a fun idea.

Couplers used on road have to be tested and certified to SAE standards. If a home made coupler breaks loose and the trailer or vehicle gets into an accident a non certified coupler opens you up to all sorts of problems.

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Thanks for the good info. These couplers will only be for off road use only and the only reason in doing it is for fun and to save some cash. I looked at a max coupler last night and decided to go with my original plan and make one that is serviceable. In reality u might not ever need to rebuild one if u keep it greased but I think it would nice to know that u can if u need to.

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Probably the some way other people do that build there own couplers. I'm having second thought because of the info provided by Martyn. I know for a fact that the coupler I had planned to build would not fail under normal/off road use, but what if the unexpected happens. Like a really bad accident where there are extreme load put on everything and it failed and I hurt some one and am held responsible. All because it wasn't dot approved. I know that's something that I don't want nor do I want that for anyone. Thanks for the eye opener.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Interestingly, with all of the projects, Jeeps, and race cars I have worked on, most of the issues or problems arise on the street. I would have thought the other way around, but rarely have I had a problem on the trail or track.

JeepFreak21

Observer
I'm a big fan of home builders, and if you are going to use this coupler off road only then I think it's a fun idea.

Couplers used on road have to be tested and certified to SAE standards. If a home made coupler breaks loose and the trailer or vehicle gets into an accident a non certified coupler opens you up to all sorts of problems.

Bah, there is so many things wrong with this concept, IMO.

Do you say the same thing about people building and installing their own suspension on their Jeeps/trucks?

You ARE going to get sued if your MaxCoupler fails on the freeway and hurts somebody.

If your negligence leads to somebody getting hurt off road, does that make it any better than if it were ON road?

A stamp of approval from some government agency has failed to prevent many, many deaths and many, many lawsuits (Firestone Tires in the early 2000s is the first thing that comes to mind).

The DOT or SAE approval is only for the initial design anyway and does nothing to prevent defects, which is where individual failures are likely to come from.

NOW, HAVING SAID ALL THAT...
Greenmonkey, if you lack enough confidence in your fab skills that your mind was changed that easily, you probably SHOULD just buy a Max Coupler.

I don't want everyone building their own parts and taking them on the freeway, but I CAN build a coupler that's stronger than a Max Coupler and your basis for criticizing me for doing it is full of holes.

Respectfully,
Billy

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
It would be a horrible problem if a coupler breaks but I dont see any protection in buying a coupler by a manufacture. If a manufactured coupler was to break I dont see me calling the company and saying you unit broke and caused this and you need to take care of it without a lot question and legal cost that most cannot incur. Im sure I would be meet with your trailer is this and your vehicle is that and you should of used this...... Just about every aftermarket product we buy comes with the standard disclaimer. Most of our vehicle are not to OEM standard either would that not subject each of us to the same liability in any accident?

Educate me?

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Billy, u bring up some very good points. I do not doubt my fabrication skills, I fab for a career. I could build a coupler that would not fail on or off road under normal conditions but it's the unforeseen that I don't like. My question to u, what would a state patrol say if they saw it? Would They question it? Would they even know what they were looking at? Would they look for some sort of stamp? Or not even know what to do or nothing at all. I don't want a ticket or something. I Guess I should just say ******* it and build it. I just want to avoid any legal stuff.

JeepFreak21

Observer
Billy, u bring up some very good points. I do not doubt my fabrication skills, I fab for a career. I could build a coupler that would not fail on or off road under normal conditions but it's the unforeseen that I don't like. .
Oh man, I would totally go for it then! Heck, I built mine and I'm just a self-taught, hobby welder.

My question to u, what would a state patrol say if they saw it?
Probably nothing.

Would They question it?
No. Even iif it failed and caused an accident, they are just going to document their findings. If it was going to be questioned, it would be in court. But your Max Coupler would too - they would ask you how often you maintained and inspected it, and what precautions you took in case it failed (safety chains?).

Would they even know what they were looking at? Would they look for some sort of stamp? Or not even know what to do or nothing at all. I don't want a ticket or something. I Guess I should just say ******* it and build it. I just want to avoid any legal stuff.
Most won't even know what to look for, especially if it didn't fail. There is nothing in the CA vehicle code or penal code in regards to trailer couplers, so I don't know what they would write you up under. On the other hand, there are probably a dozen things that any one of us could be cited for if the cop wanted to be a jerk (in CA, cops can cite you for being low on windshield wiper fluid!)

Good luck,
Billy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12